Image of Christians in the United States

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi,

I was just having a chat with a friend of mine about the image of Christians in the United States - i.e. how Americans view Coptic Orthodox Christians, and I had the impression (from talking to him) that they just don't care (about religion).

Do they really care that we are a persecuted minority?
Do they understand who the Coptic Christians are in the United States?

Apparently, he was saying that they don't really care if you're muslim or not??

It wasn't really the impression I had (but that's from the internet).

What is it like for those of you who live there? I really thought America was a diehard Christian (Baptist) Country?? Is it not the case??

Comments

• Americans only believe in the almighty dollar.
  • There's some who really care about that if u r Muslim or not but they don't know the differance between coptic or anything els
  • Zoxsasi,

I think the reason that there is such an image drop in Christianity in the USA is because there is too much of any exposure
    to Santa Claus [inside joke].

I apologize for making this post ahead of time.
  • I think that the issue is three fold:

1) There is an overall disinclination towards religion, especially from younger generations.  They don't care what religion you belong to or care about religion in and of itself.

2) The Coptic Orthodox Church has a very small voice in the U.S.  I would guarantee that most people are not aware of the Coptic Orthodox Church.  Think about it, when was the last time a major U.S. news organization had an article or television piece on the Coptic Church, the diaspora or the persecution in Egypt?

3) It is sad to say that many Americans are uneducated and uncultured, therefore all Middle Eastern peoples are either Muslims or potential terrorists. 
  • [quote author=JustinWilliams link=topic=9873.msg120973#msg120973 date=1287435419]
    I think that the issue is three fold:

1) There is an overall disinclination towards religion, especially from younger generations.  They don't care what religion you belong to or care about religion in and of itself.

2) The Coptic Orthodox Church has a very small voice in the U.S.  I would guarantee that most people are not aware of the Coptic Orthodox Church.  Think about it, when was the last time a major U.S. news organization had an article or television piece on the Coptic Church, the diaspora or the persecution in Egypt?

3) It is sad to say that many Americans are uneducated and uncultured, therefore all Middle Eastern peoples are either Muslims or potential terrorists. 

This is very true. Most people will look at you as if you have 2 heads as soon as you say "Coptic". So you proceed to explain-- Egyptian. I have had more than one person ask me if I am a Muslim (because they know I'm Egyptian) ALTHOUGH I AM WEARING A CROSS! My mom had someone to do that to her and they, in their defense, said, "Oh, it's just fashion." So yea, many Americans think all people from the Middle East are Muslim. Many others do not care about religion at all. Besides all that, our church is small and not all our members reach out to their communities and share their religion.

It also depends where in the United States you are. The West and South United States, from history and what I've heard, tend to be referred to as the "Bible Belt" where most of the evangelical Christians reside. On the East and West Coats, and most big cities, it's very diverse and you will see everything, nothing really predominating except maybe atheism or apathy. It's very sad, but true.
  • The idea of getting all the churches to wear a cross to support the suffering church in Egypt will help americans realise that in fact there IS a church in Egypt that is suffering.

Do you get the idea?? You've already evangelised your Church without evangelising.

You've already educated Americans about the Coptic Church without preaching to them.

You've already united with every Christian, whilst the world thinks you are still divided.

That's why I want to promote a "Let your your Cross Show Day" - even if we can get small crosses that can be worn on a T-Shirt/Shirt or suit by a safety pin, then this would be ideal.

We really ought to think of a way to let people know who we are. Its important for you guys living in America.

Perhaps it looks like Americans don't care about religion, but I can tell you, they do care, and they are VERY religious people. If it wasn't the case, you wouldnt have the Republican party, nor people like O'Donnell who gets millions from Christian fundraising money.

I really urge you to consider this idea.
  • It is a great idea to raise the profile of the Coptic Orthodox Church and the continuing persecution it faces.

The questions I have about the idea are:

i. How will people connect the idea of wearing a cross with the Coptic Church unless it is a specially manufactured badge of some sort?

ii. Do Coptic Orthodox pray for the suffering members of any other church?

iii. What about Suffering Church Sunday, a long established date in many churches calendars. Do Copts keep this day?

http://barnabasfund.org/US/Action/Suffering-Church-Sunday/

There might be more benefit in joining with other Christians and supporting all Christians who suffer, as well as those in Egypt, perhaps finding out which Churches in an area are holding a meeting for Suffering Church Sunday and offering to do a presentation on the Coptic Church?

But if we do not believe that any of these people who ARE praying for the Coptic Church are Christians then it will be problematic asking them to wear a cross and support the Coptic Church? There has to be some degree of reciprocity. We may disagree with many of the things that many other Christian groups teach and practice, but many of them DO pray for the suffering Church around the world, including the Coptic Orthodox.
  • America is the first liberal state. It claims you are free to believe and say what you wish. But if you say anything that is contrary to the status quo, then you are demonized. In America you believe as you wish, even if it is untrue. This is a very selfish nation, overall, and is destroying itself from the inside out.

ILSM, all of the world believes in money, that is what makes money worth something. Money is no longer backed by anything but faith. It is called fiat currency, meaning it doesnt actually exist. If I keep going I will get way off topic.
  • It is very easy to criticise the nations in which we live, but in fact we have a great freedom in the West to worship God, to live as He commands, and to preach the Gospel.

We should not easily condemn this freedom, even if others abuse it. In fact the Church abuses this freedom when it does not commit itself 150% to mission, service and evangelism.

It does not matter how others are using this freedom - what are YOU/WE doing?

If folk have a poor image of Christians then YOU/WE are to blame, not others. Perhaps others only have a partial grasp of the truth, but we claim to be THE Church. So it is OUR fault. If the nation is sick we cannot blame those who are ill, we must blame those who have the medicine and refuse to distribute it.

God has given us the opportunity to live in places of freedom, not so that we can criticise others, but so that we have no excuse whatsoever when we fail to live the Christian life to the full.

Father Peter
  • Well said Fr. Peter,

So, what's wrong with getting everyone to wear a Cross on a special day? Something they can pin to their lapels?

Just like we do in the UK with poppies to remember the heroes of WWII, we can remember the suffering Church also. This is a great way to evangelise.

I just need some encouragement.. but, if you agree to this idea, I'll be happy to organize something.
  • There is nothing wrong with it.

But it needs to be for all suffering Christians and it needs to be organised and advertised in co-operation with other Christians. Otherwise no-one will know about it and others will wonder why people are being asked only to recognise the suffering of Coptic Orthodox Christians.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=9873.msg120998#msg120998 date=1287501183]
    America is the first liberal state. It claims you are free to believe and say what you wish. But if you say anything that is contrary to the status quo, then you are demonized. In America you believe as you wish, even if it is untrue. This is a very selfish nation, overall, and is destroying itself from the inside out.

So true.