Thinking of going to an Ethiopian church

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I have been struggling with some in my church in trying to get us to use one language and slow down a little bit so people foreign to the liturgy can understand. I feel we are completely incapable of handling converts, as I was baptized and kind of left to the wolves and had to figure everything out myself, I personally do not feel I was ready to be baptized and probably should not have been. Our liturgy goes so fast as if everyone is in a hurry, which they probably are, and makes the experience somewhat painful for those who actually care.

I am kind of at a loss as it has become abundantly clear that some feel that I am a liar and would choose to just put on a show as to actually take action. A complete loss of words, I mean should I just stop caring and worry more about being a doctor, pharmacist, or engineer so that I can make alot of money?

I have found a church in Michigan and one of the priests is american and the nice thing is we understand one another! I feel much more comfortable with him because I feel that some of the people in the Coptic church have a hard time understanding me, not because they are dumb or anything but because of the cultural differences and what not. Problem is the Ethiopian church is like 45 min away, but I am so sick the culture, absolutely disgusted at times.

I dont know why I am sharing this, I guess what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Your points are valid and many will agree with them, regardless if they want to admit it or not.  Going to church in most communities is more often than not a social event, let alone going to a church full of immigrants, who bond to each other more on ethnic/cultural ties than spiritual ones.  Because your new church is probably going to be mostly first-to-second generation Ethiopians, I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if you ran into similar issues you see at your current church.  The fact that the priest of that church is American, and can easily relate to you is [in my opinion] more than a push to switch over.  If I was in the same situation as you, I woulda switched churches instantly, because the odds of enhancing my spiritual life would greatly increase, if I could relate so well with a teacher.  The Holy Synaxarium will attest to how many great saints developed into such, because they were disciples of great teachers.  If however any factor hinders you from participating alot in that church, your current church could def fill in the gaps, because when it boils down to it, God resides there as well.
  • Thanks Gregory. I dont want it to seem as if I am cutting these people down, I love them all very much and they have all done alot for me. It has been as of recent that everyone seems distant from me as if they are pushing me away. I think one reason Abouna can be short with me is because I informed him of a man at our church that was protestant before, even though he is Egyptian, and this man told me he does not believe in intercession. I assume that when Abouna asked him, the man denied it making me look like a liar. And because I am an outsider, culturally, I am obviously lying. This is my suspicion anyways. But since they found out that I have a mood disorder, they have really distanced themselves from me, so nothing I say is actually valid, it seems.

Its like I am the retarded child that the parents keep inside they house because they are ashamed lol. That is what it feels like. And the fact that everyone, including Abouna, are in such a hurry all the time does not help. I want to talk, I want to learn, I want to be in church but everyone is content on being in church MAYBE 6hrs a week, if that. It is terrible that I even have to bring this here but nobody returns my calls or texts or even emails, so I am stuck. I cannot afford to drive to michigan every week, and I certainly cannot receive communion while being upset with people.

I dont know, I think I will make the switch. And I am married to an Ethiopian so I am more familiar with the culture but to their culture they do not expect foreigners to adapt to them, so they are much more understanding atleast in my experience.

Thanks Gregory, thank you very much.
  • Besin Silasie

Hello Ioannes,

I would suggest that you take a visit to the Ethiopian Church and maybe talk to the Priest there, to give you advice about the Church you currently attend.
    Maybe there is just some misunderstanding, but don't worry about people think of you or do to you because all that matters is the truth and what God thinks of you.
    Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    2 Timothy 2:15

May God Bless You and keep you!!!
  • Indeed, I love the Ethiopian church. They seem to be much more receptive to me and much more spiritual. They respect the Eucharist very much and dont approach it with their heads covered and breasts exposed, which I see alot of unfortunately. I have been conversing with an american Ethiopian Orthodox priest-monk who was converted by Archbishop Yeshaq, he is very nice and I feel more comfortable with him. The only problem is the distance, we will only be able to go once maybe twice a month. I think I am going to give my Tounia to the church, I cannot be a Deacon if the priest does not trust me and or thinks I am a liar, it breaks my heart it really does. I love this church.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=9864.msg120916#msg120916 date=1287353330]
    Indeed, I love the Ethiopian church. They seem to be much more receptive to me and much more spiritual. They respect the Eucharist very much and dont approach it with their heads covered and breasts exposed, which I see alot of unfortunately. I have been conversing with an american Ethiopian Orthodox priest-monk who was converted by Archbishop Yeshaq, he is very nice and I feel more comfortable with him. The only problem is the distance, we will only be able to go once maybe twice a month. I think I am going to give my Tounia to the church, I cannot be a Deacon if the priest does not trust me and or thinks I am a liar, it breaks my heart it really does. I love this church.

go for it.
  • Hi ioannes
    Please make sure you go to a legitimate tewahedo church .There are so many churches who claim to be ethiopian orthodox .But the truth is they are called "tehadeso " .They are reformist but still go by the tewahdo name.
    Wo sibhat leEgziabher

• [quote author=axum link=topic=9864.msg120920#msg120920 date=1287357559]
    Hi ioannes
    Please make sure you go to a legitimate tewahedo church .There are so many churches who claim to be ethiopian orthodox .But the truth is they are called "tehadeso " .They are reformist but still go by the tewahdo name.
    Wo sibhat leEgziabher

Yea, they are very protestant though, the tehadiso, they are not really "reformers" in the Lutheran sense.
  • Aahahah! Or you can come here to Canada! We welcome you with open arms. Mabe not the beavers, what every you do do not go near the beavers unless you want a wooden home built for you. Just kidding. God bless please pray for me.
  • [quote author=Servant of Jesus Christ link=topic=9864.msg120933#msg120933 date=1287364086]
    Aahahah! Or you can come here to Canada! We welcome you with open arms. Mabe not the beavers, what every you do do not go near the beavers unless you want a wooden home built for you. Just kidding. God bless please pray for me.

LOL ok?