persecution of Christians

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi,

I have come to the conclusion, that perhaps since we live in the west, we are oblivious to the current situation being endured by other Christians around the World. We only notice problems when it happens to us.

I thought it would be a good idea to post some RECENT news bulletins highlighting the persecution of Christians from around the world so you are up-to-date with what is going on around you in 2010.

I found a site that has a few of the articles I was about to post, and it has divided the persecutions by Continent:

http://www.christianpersecution.info/middle-east.php

Please pray for them.

Comments

• Which persecutions do you mean?

...the ones carried out by Christians on Christians, or
    ...Muslim on Christian, or
    ...secular Government on Christians, or

I think you will need a whole server for that.

Zoxsasi, I keep telling you:  The WEST doesn't care.
  • Not only that, but our own youth do not care.  They are being assimilated into the Western nonsense.  I have discussions with them at times, and I am amazed by their adoption of the most idiotic thoughts.  They emulate the dingbats around them.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9847.msg120556#msg120556 date=1286821851]
    Which persecutions do you mean?

...the ones carried out by Christians on Christians, or
    ...Muslim on Christian, or
    ...secular Government on Christians, or

I think you will need a whole server for that.

Zoxsasi, I keep telling you:  The WEST doesn't care.

Oh for goodness sake man, there are Christians dying... just pray for them.
    lol... eh da!

If u care and would like to something positive, pray that Christians can be christians without being persecuted.
  • I do Zoxsasi.  I pray fervently.  I pray dearly.  I also contribute what I can towards alleviating their suffering.

I will also add that the contributions I do make for that form is specifically related to Christians.  I will not contribute to organizations that think that you have to give to muslims also so that we can show our Christianity.  I do not wish any muslim ill, but they have the entire treasury of Egypt and all of the Arab oil money.  Our people have no big donors, and I repeat:  THE WEST DOES NOT CARE.

Our young people are going also in the direction of not caring!
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9847.msg120557#msg120557 date=1286821971]
    Not only that, but our own youth do not care.  They are being assimilated into the Western nonsense.  I have discussions with them at times, and I am amazed by their adoption of the most idiotic thoughts.  They emulate the dingbats around them.

I admire the the way you tend to word your posts. And I couldn't agree with this more.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9847.msg120557#msg120557 date=1286821971]
    Not only that, but our own youth do not care.  They are being assimilated into the Western nonsense.  I have discussions with them at times, and I am amazed by their adoption of the most idiotic thoughts.  They emulate the dingbats around them.

Ilovesaintmark, I draw the line here. You cannot make broad generalizations like this. I do not know what "West" you are referring to, but in the spur of recent events, I know many youth that, in their zeal and love for His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, are standing up and supporting him wholeheartedly against the ugly attacks and allegations being made against him.

Please refrain from attacking all youth of "the West", as I doubt you know ALL of them, in which case you are not justified in making this false, hurtful statement.

Let us all join together, West and East, young men and maidens, old men and children, to support and pray for all Christians being persecuted, particularly for His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, our bishops and clergy, that God would give them strength, patience, and wisdom during this difficult time and that the Lord would have mercy on us all.
  • User00,

My comments are purely generalizations...no doubt.  However, they are based on the majority and they are based on observation.

If you would like me to use the statement 'the majority of the youth' to make you happy, I will do so, but I do not retract anything I said.  It is the hurtful truth.  Most times, the truth hurts.

The minority of the youth do care, but even their numbers are dwindling to become the minor minority.

His Holiness and the bishops are in a very difficult situation right now.  Walk around the youth meeting this coming week and ask them whether they care?  Listen to them talk (objectively) and you will realize the majority are clueless and they don't care.

As for the "West" I was speaking of the Western societies and governments--maybe I should have been more explicit.

No doubt my comments are hurtful.  Above all they are hurtful to me first because over the years of living in the United States I have seen my people, the people I call blood and soul, become lazy and slothful.

They hunger to look and act like a bunch of thugs from the lowest existence in the societies of the U.S.  There is a minority who still hold on. 

If you do not believe that majority status is not possible for the apathy, I would say you can look at the examples from the Bible where whole cities and peoples would abandon their God.

The truth hurts.  It hurts bad.  God save us all.  God protect His Holiness.
  • Generally speaking, I find Americans quite apathetic towards their own religion, namely Christianity.

I'm not sure whether they understand it. They definately have good intentions, and are willing to be long suffering towards other faiths, but I doubt they actually care either about religion.

Apparently, 80% (or somehere along that figure) of abortions are performed by Christian women in the US, and the 95% of the reason for these abortions is untimely pregnancy with my lifestyle/boyfriend's wishes.

I think people have to decide whether they are "Christian" or not. Each person, whether Coptic, Catholic, whatever.. needs to make a decision, at one point in his/her life and ask themselves: "AM I A CHRISTIAN!??"

And the 2nd question they need to ask themselves: "What good is faith without works"?
  • "What good is faith without works"?

One of my favorite verses from the Epistle of St. James.  It is the only verse I learned during my time in Catholic Schools growing up.

I believe the Christian acts and works, along with Christian zeal, and vigilance are the physical manifestation of Faith.  In effect a sort of "incarnation" of Faith.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9847.msg120615#msg120615 date=1286880307]

"What good is faith without works"?

One of my favorite verses from the Epistle of St. James.  It is the only verse I learned during my time in Catholic Schools growing up.

I believe the Christian acts and works, along with Christian zeal, and vigilance are the physical manifestation of Faith.  In effect a sort of "incarnation" of Faith.

I think the Catholic Church has ruined Christianity. Either that or the protestants.

They have a habbit on concentrating on "numbers" or number of faithful in their churches. They don't necessarily care whether their faithful "believe" nor understand in the Christian Creed.
  • The greatest sin of the Latin Church is the allowance and the excuse for the Protestant Sects to develop.

Fr. Peter hits it on the head over and over.  We, as Orthodox, are not doing our jobs.  We are not being Christian enough.  We do not show or share our Christianity in our conduct or in the consistency of the conduct.  I do not believe in blaming or making excuses.  I believe in getting the job done--that's all that counts in the end.
  • At the risk of sounding nasty, I will give you two examples, where we in the Coptic Church "persecute" our own.

1.  In my parish some Eritreans (foreigners by ancestry, family by faith) come maybe once a month to worship.  No one talks to them.  No one acknowledges them.  No one even makes an attempt to say hi.  Is that not a type of persecution?  Is this not a prejudice?

2.  Our brethren in the British Orthodox Church are striving to introduce Orthodoxy to the indigenous population.  Are there talents among the Coptics (Egyptian ancestry) that would be helpful to them in this mission?  By withholding our talents from our brethren, is this not a type of persecution?  Is this not a prejudice?
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9847.msg120614#msg120614 date=1286876917]
    Generally speaking, I find Americans quite apathetic towards their own religion, namely Christianity.

I'm not sure whether they understand it. They definately have good intentions, and are willing to be long suffering towards other faiths, but I doubt they actually care either about religion.

So true. And maybe I'm biased, but I tend to find that atheists like to attack Christians more than anything. I think it's almost certain that the average Christian in America is not well immersed in or exposed to the theological and dogmatic teachings that make the church they belong to into the particular church that it is, which gives atheists the wrong picture.