Singing in Coptic

I love the Coptic language and the Coptic hymns. My concern is, when I offer praise before God in Coptic, without understanding the words, am I really praising God, or am I worshiping the language?

Comments

• You have to understand what you are saying.  There are different ways to achieve that goal, either before you begin one of these chants or concurrently (in parallel).
  • Then why don't you learn Coptic?

St. Paul says:
    "So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind." 1 Corinthians 14:15

Plus, 90% of the time, there is usually a translation next to the Coptic and most of our hymns are long enough to give you a chance to glance at the translation while singing them. But even when you first learn a hymn, you can read its translation to know what it is you're saying.

But to say "I don't know what I'm saying so I won't learn or sing Coptic hymns" is not the answer.
  • Thus you have made the commandment[d] of God of no effect by your tradition. Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:
          ‘ These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
          And honor Me with their lips,
          But their heart is far from Me.
          And in vain they worship Me,
          Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”
    Matthew 15:6-9

Make sure your no one of these ppl.
    & yes when you sing coptic & you dont know what your saying..this does not praise God...u have to know what your saying