Deacon beside body

Hello there,

I was wondering what is the deacon with the triangle material is supposed to do?
What colour is the material supposed to be.
Thanks for ther help.

Comments

• [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=9770.msg119761#msg119761 date=1285285321]
    Hi Guys,

I was wondering what is the order for the verses of the cymbals for the nayrouz?
    When do we stop singing hymns in a festive tune?

after the 3 day feast of the Cross.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9771.msg119765#msg119765 date=1285286868]
    [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=9770.msg119761#msg119761 date=1285285321]
    Hi Guys,

I was wondering what is the order for the verses of the cymbals for the nayrouz?

lol wrong thread?

Are you talking about the deacon standing by abouna during communion? I learned that the deacon has to constantly be watching the Body and Blood of Christ and not avert the eyes elsewhere, in order to make sure no part falls/drips. You may also need to make sure no one forgot to take off their shoes or take a mendeel/napkin-thing
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=9771.msg119782#msg119782 date=1285296695]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=9771.msg119765#msg119765 date=1285286868]
    [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=9770.msg119761#msg119761 date=1285285321]
    Hi Guys,

lol wrong thread?

Yeah

Are you talking about the deacon standing by abouna during communion? I learned that the deacon has to constantly be watching the Body and Blood of Christ and not avert the eyes elsewhere, in order to make sure no part falls/drips. You may also need to make sure no one forgot to take off their shoes or take a mendeel/napkin-thing

one comment....only a white (or sky blue) linen "lefafa"
  • The linen folded in the form of a triangle that is used in the Confession Chant by the deacon, and subsequently in walking before the Eucharist, symbolizes the wings of the Cherubim.  It identifies a respect for the Hallowed Presence of the Lord.  It is also to shield the Elements of the Eucharist.  It should be on the larger size to have a "veiling" and "covering" effect, but people just take a 'lefafa' from the pile and use it.  It should be, as Minagir said, white, light blue, but also gold.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9771.msg119800#msg119800 date=1285353074]
    The linen folded in the form of a triangle that is used in the Confession Chant by the deacon, and subsequently in walking before the Eucharist, symbolizes the wings of the Cherubim.  It identifies a respect for the Hallowed Presence of the Lord.  It is also to shield the Elements of the Eucharist.  It should be on the larger size to have a "veiling" and "covering" effect, but people just take a 'lefafa' from the pile and use it.  It should be, as Minagir said, white, light blue, but also gold.

Is the deacon supposed to cover his eyes? Can the lefafa be red? Can you use one of the extra lefafa that abouna uses to cover the altar?
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=9771.msg119807#msg119807 date=1285356837]
    Is the deacon supposed to cover his eyes?
    of course not...as it was said before, you are like an angel next to abouna...you are ALWAYS looking at the Body and Blood the second they are out of there set place (meaning in abouna's hands to the person's mouth.....

Can the lefafa be red?

welll....many ppl do that (even green lafayef).....but i just don't like it personally. the reason they are white and sky blue is that we expect the main colors in heaven to be those. I think i heard it from Anba Gregorious (not directly of course)

Can you use one of the extra lefafa that abouna uses to cover the altar?

some people do that.....but i really really disagree with that. those lafayef are set for one thing only and i don't think it's that; a deacon to touch them.
  • If it shouldn't be a lefafa and it shouldn't be the linen that abouna uses on the altar,
    what should it be? Should it have a cross on it?
    I honestly appreciate you guys' help.
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=9771.msg119824#msg119824 date=1285426343]
    If it shouldn't be a lefafa and it shouldn't be the linen that abouna uses on the altar,
    what should it be? Should it have a cross on it?
    I honestly appreciate you guys' help.

i think you are mixing up things......

all those squarish looking pieces are called "Lafayef." the ones that we use in our hands to take communion and the ones that abouna uses to decorate the altar for the sacrifice--both are called "Lafayef." but the difference is that what's on the altar is the altar's and used for that reason. they should not be mixed with what we use--technically outside the altar.