Fish- Cross

Hi everyone,

I was told that the old sign for christianity was a fish as you can see in the link http://www.superchrist.com/images/fish_black.gif
Does anyone know the actual meanig of reson for them it being like that.
Hope someone can help me fast. :-[

Comments

• Ichthys can be read as an acrostic, a word formed from the first letters of several words. It compiles to "Jesus Christ, God's son, savior," in ancient Greek "Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ ͑Υιός, Σωτήρ", Iēsous Christos, Theou Huios, Sōtēr.

* Iota (i) is the first letter of Iēsous (Ἰησοῦς), Greek for "Jesus".
        * Chi (ch) is the first letter of Christos (Χριστὸς), Greek for "anointed".
        * Theta (th) is the first letter of Theou (Θεοῦ), Greek for "God's", the genitive case of Θεóς, Theos, Greek for "God".
        * Upsilon (y) is the first letter of yios (Υἱὸς), Greek for "Son".
        * Sigma (s) is the first letter of sōtēr (Σωτήρ), Greek for "Savior".

It was A sign used by early Christians. It was not THE only sign since the sign of the cross was always important. The fish was perhaps a more discrete way of saying 'I am a Christian'.

Father Peter
  • Hi Father Peter,

Why is it an A sign? Is there a reason that you are aware of?
    Can you please tell me some more signs?
  • It is a sign because of the meaning it has as an acronym. Do you understand what the explanation means? The Greek word for fish spells out the words - Jesus Christ. Son of God, Saviour.

Father Peter
  • I heard that during the time of persecution, if a Christian would want to find out if someone else was Christian they would make the sign of that fish on their hand - that way they could find out without getting persecuted
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=9745.msg119402#msg119402 date=1284588497]
    It is a sign because of the meaning it has as an acronym. Do you understand what the explanation means? The Greek word for fish spells out the words - Jesus Christ. Son of God, Saviour.

Father Peter

I got it. Thank you Father Peter
  • Its late here so let me just mention the arepo sator word square as another sign Christians used. (Spelling might be wrong I am not online to check)
  • The two explanations I heard were of the Greek origin, as well as this:

"Then Jesus said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men.' " -Mark 1:17

So the symbol of the fish also represents the Christians.
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=9745.msg119403#msg119403 date=1284588935]
    I heard that during the time of persecution, if a Christian would want to find out if someone else was Christian they would make the sign of that fish on their hand - that way they could find out without getting persecuted

yeah i heard that also. one person would draw one half and the other person another half
  • wait ... we just talked about that this week in our meeting .. he said it kinds of look the same/ like some egyptian women that was holding kind of a cross/fish thing in her hands .. am i right ?