Is swearing at Gadgets wrong?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi,

I was driving a few days ago, when my GPS gave me the wrong turning.
She kept on and on and on giving me the turning TOO late.

Finally, I got so mad, I swore at her. I told her "You silly cow."

Now, given its a gadget, is that a sin?

Whenever I put the male voice on my GPS, it works well. But whever a female is giving me directions, it just bothers me, and she ALWAYS gets it wrong.

I was so mad, I kept on swearing at her. But, is this really a sin?

Comments

• [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9678.msg118879#msg118879 date=1283524239]
    Whenever I put the male voice on my GPS, it works well. But whever a female is giving me directions, it just bothers me, and she ALWAYS gets it wrong.

lol, i think they just wanted to make the GPS more realistic
  • Zoxsasi,

I think you answered yourself.  I believe Adam did the same thing.
  • Is this a serious question?
  • I believe Sasi is serious.

It was I that was being funny.

The Scriptures are very explicit, 'we will be judged for every word'.

The offense would not be at the GPS, but rather an iniquity...for having used our mouth to speak profanity.
  • I agree. All foul language is to be avoided. Not least because it exposes the true content of our heart.

Father Peter
  • 'from the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks'
    so, you have exposed yr lack of 100% pure heart (u are like me!).
    but u have not hurt the gadget's feelings.
    so u need only to apologise to God, not to the gadget!  ;)

if u had been our father anba antonius in the desert, u would have said
    'thank you, Lord for giving me so many chances to test my patience, please give me strength to continue to grow spiritually. thank you so much for this gadget, that is not only beautiful, but it teaches me how to have patience without getting it's feelings hurt when i fail'.

99% of people i met in person (i am old but didn't meet anba antonius!) would be more like you and less like our desert fathers. it just means yr human and yr still learning like the rest of us!
    :)
  • Now, putting aside the serious, so I can get back to my obnoxious funny self, do the GPS systems have a choice for an American voice?  Do you get choices of areas:  Southern, Brooklyn, ghetto, etc.?

In the United States systems, we get a choice of different English accents, including:  British, Australian, Scottish.  I usually pick a female British voice.  I have never cursed at her.  I do not think it would be gentlemanly.
  • [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=9678.msg118888#msg118888 date=1283535883]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9678.msg118879#msg118879 date=1283524239]

lol, i think they just wanted to make the GPS more realistic

Ahahaha that was my first thought when I got to that part.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9678.msg118913#msg118913 date=1283569734]
    Now, putting aside the serious, so I can get back to my obnoxious funny self, do the GPS systems have a choice for an American voice?  Do you get choices of areas:  Southern, Brooklyn, ghetto, etc.?

In the United States systems, we get a choice of different English accents, including:  British, Australian, Scottish.  I usually pick a female British voice.  I have never cursed at her.  I do not think it would be gentlemanly.

Im trying to find a GPS with a Jamaican accent that can speak jive.. that way, it relaxes you whenever you are lost, it will tell you:

"Relax man, take it eazy, ya nah.. go streat a-hed, and take a chill pill man."
    "Ya'll reetch ya destinashun in style man"

That way, even if you get lost, you'll arrive happy. Jive talk does that to you. But if you notice, IN EVERY movie - EVERY SINGLE MOVIE, whenever there is a villain, the evil villain has an English accent. It just drives you crazy.

No offence to anyone here British.. but if my GPS didnt have a British accent, I think it would be easier. She sounds soo bossy.

But, yes I was serious about this issue:

The GPS system kept on getting me lost and telling to turn in the LAST minute, so I just shouted at her and said "You silly cow!!". I was angry when I said it, and I felt a bit bad. After I had calmed down, I touched the GPS, and said to it "hey, im sorry... its just sometimes you can be a pain in the neck".

But - if Fr. P says its a sin, its sin.

Im sorry.
  • Our sin is never so much in what we do, that is the last stage of sin. Usually what we do just shows what is inside us where sin, as a defect of will, is already present before the act.
  • Sasi,

I said it was a sin, also.  However, Fr. Peter can give you absolution.  I cannot.

• Im trying to find a GPS with a Jamaican accent that can speak jive.. that way, it relaxes you whenever you are lost, it will tell you:

"Relax man, take it eazy, ya nah.. go streat a-hed, and take a chill pill man."
    "Ya'll reetch ya destinashun in style man"

That way, even if you get lost, you'll arrive happy. Jive talk does that to you. But if you notice, IN EVERY movie - EVERY SINGLE MOVIE, whenever there is a villain, the evil villain has an English accent. It just drives you crazy.

hahahaha, we also have a gps but this is the first time i heard about a gsp with a jamaican accent, however i'm not living in america xd
    seems very relaxed if he talks like that, the female voice of my
    dad's gsp also often gives wrong instructions, drives him crazy :p
    anyway, rabena m3ak and keep strong every time when u' re going
    2 be angry,

ciao

gb

• foul language is sinful and many of us (christians) prove we are very capable of it. does that mean people who are saved are going to be judged for every single word?...  maybe not. i hope not!!
  • Lightening,

I believe Our Lord was quite explicit in the Gospel.
  • Thanks for the assist GLM.
  • Ilovesaintmark, you shouldnt use the abbreviation GLM, it was done on purpose so that everyone would be forced to say "God loves me" :P
  • Hos,

I was typing quickly and colloquially.  I will add, not only does Godloveme, but He also forgives me, and has mercy on me.
  • why am I not surprised a girl giving wrong directions?!

I never use a GPS, because most of them are female voices, and I hate a girl to give me directions... and the guy option, just seems that the guy is almost ordering you to do what he wants!!!

that was a joke... I'm not a sexist, for the most part! (thats a joke too!)

but somebody asked the pope a question along the same lines, and the pope responded with, if you call a dog, dog... and mean it as a "bad word" then it is a wrong!

maybe you should take things easy, if a person was giving you directions, I can tell already, even if you wont say it out loud, but you will be thinking of how much of an idiot this person is... so in your heart you are already sinning... so from this experience thank God that through His grace, He taught you about a shortcoming you have... and learn to be patient...

its funny because your story reminded me of God's love, look what man does with "his" creation... and look at how God deals with His!

Neshkor Allah... akhadna el baraka!
  • its funny because your story reminded me of God's love, look what man does with "his" creation... and look at how God deals with His!

Very profound Mr. BAM.