is the bible

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hey peace be with you

what is the number of the books in the bible that the Coptic church believe
eg the Catholics 73 prot 66

i just want to say lets discuss about the number of the books in the bible

Comments

• According to the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox Church it is 81 books. I think the Coptic Church have slightly lower books than this.

In Christ
    Theophilus
  • We believe that there are 73 books in the Bible...those extra books are called the canonical books.
    We accept them & so do the Catholics but not the protestants.
    We use these books during Holy Week..we dont have them in our Bible though bc our Bibles are mostly printed by protestants.
    Here is a link to help u understand more
    http://www.suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?qid=767&catid=447
  • [quote author=Theophilus 1 link=topic=9622.msg118585#msg118585 date=1282785424]
    According to the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox Church it is 81 books. I think the Coptic Church have slightly lower books than this.

In Christ
    Theophilus

i was told that the 81 books have been published is it the one we are using now or is there another
  • Hello brothers and sisters in Christ,

There are 49 recognized Old Testament books in the Orthodox canon, and 27 New Testament books. For an elucidation as to the specific books that are accepted, one can obtain a complete Orthodox Study Bible, which includes the deuterocanonical books recognized by nearly all of the Orthodox faiths, including our own.

As such, the Protestants include 39 books in the Old Testament; the Catholic canon recognizes 7 more than this (46), and the Orthodox recognize 3 more books than this (49). There is no dispute among the current Christian denominations as to the number of books in the New Testament (27).

The additional 10 books that we have in comparison to the Old Testament canon for the Protestants are called "deuterocanonical," and are referred to by Protestants as the "apocrypha" (meaning hidden) books.

Childoforthodoxy
  • [quote author=hospitality link=topic=9622.msg118783#msg118783 date=1283251076]
    [quote author=Theophilus 1 link=topic=9622.msg118585#msg118585 date=1282785424]
    According to the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox Church it is 81 books. I think the Coptic Church have slightly lower books than this.

In Christ
    Theophilus

i was told that the 81 books have been published is it the one we are using now or is there another

Seriously, are the 81 books published in English? Where can I find all 81 books in English?

In CHrist
    Theophilus
  • I use the Ethiopian canon which has the book of Enoch. I also have the NT translated directly from the Greek by some monastery.