Exorcism

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
How could any priest other than Orthodox ones can cast out the devil?
if the religion is wrong...can the exorcism be wrong also? like the catholic exorcism. Is it genuine in the eyes of our Church?

Comments

• If a demon is cast out or is forced to stop oppressing a person then it is because of Christ, not because of the beliefs of the person asking Christ for help.

We could ask the question, does God hear the prayers of anyone who is not Orthodox? But in fact none of us are Orthodox. We all believe wrongly and live wrongly. We are all the subjects of God's grace and love.

Therefore I am sure that God hears and answers the prayers of those who love him and are in need, even if they are not Orthodox. This does not mean that anyone who claims to be an exorcist is such. The Scriptures teach us that those who set themselves up as someone but do not have faith in Christ cannot use His Name. The demons will expose them for the charlatans they are.

But I am confident that if a sincere and humble priest or pastor calls on God to help one of his flock then God will hear. He surely hears the prayers of those who are not Orthodox otherwise no-one could become Orthodox. He hears the prayers of those who are not Christian otherwise no-one could become a Christian.

This is not the same, let me repeat, as saying that anyone who claims to be an exorcist is. But it is saying that God does not only care about Orthodox. Indeed like the people of Israel, we are often those who are least deserving of having our prayers heard and answered.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=9613.msg118442#msg118442 date=1282306667]
    If a demon is cast out or is forced to stop oppressing a person then it is because of Christ, not because of the beliefs of the person asking Christ for help.

We could ask the question, does God hear the prayers of anyone who is not Orthodox? But in fact none of us are Orthodox. We all believe wrongly and live wrongly. We are all the subjects of God's grace and love.

Therefore I am sure that God hears and answers the prayers of those who love him and are in need, even if they are not Orthodox. This does not mean that anyone who claims to be an exorcist is such. The Scriptures teach us that those who set themselves up as someone but do not have faith in Christ cannot use His Name. The demons will expose them for the charlatans they are.

But I am confident that if a sincere and humble priest or pastor calls on God to help one of his flock then God will hear. He surely hears the prayers of those who are not Orthodox otherwise no-one could become Orthodox. He hears the prayers of those who are not Christian otherwise no-one could become a Christian.

This is not the same, let me repeat, as saying that anyone who claims to be an exorcist is. But it is saying that God does not only care about Orthodox. Indeed like the people of Israel, we are often those who are least deserving of having our prayers heard and answered.

Father Peter

Would the same logic equally apply to someone muslim, hindu, jewish, or sikh?
  • Personally I don't think so. These religions are not calling out to God.

I do think that a Hindu, Muslim or Sikh who was seeking the true God will be heard by Him. But a Hindu, Muslim or Sikh being a committed Hindu, Muslim or Sikh has been deceived by Satan.

Father Peter
  •   I used to think God is with the Orthodox exclusively.
  • Why would that be so?

It is God's will that all be saved, and we pray in the Agpeya many times each day, 'God...who calls all to salvation..', so we must believe that God is with all those who seek him, and loves all men, even those who are not seeking him. How could a person become a Christian unless God was already working in his life? How could I have become an Orthodox Christian if God had not heard my prayers before I was an Orthodox Christian?

There are Orthodox who are not properly Christian even, and there are those who are seeking God with all their heart and are not yet Orthodox. Who please him most? Surely the one who is seeking God wherever they are. While the person who is not seeking God, even if they are formally Orthodox, will not benefit from the blessings offered in the Church, but will rather be judged by them.

Of course the best place to be is a faithful and obedient Christian in the Orthodox Church.

Nor does this mean that everyone who uses the name of Christ is a Christian.

Father Peter
  •   I think I am like the Jews who said to Jesus that they are the children of Abraham.
    Thank you father. You have broaden my view by God's will.
  • Dear binC,

We should never act as though the substance of the faith is a matter of no consequence. It is extremely important that as far as is within our own obedience we must share the Gospel of the Orthodox Faith. Everyone needs to become Orthodox for their salvation.

But!!!! God is merciful and will show mercy to all on whom he will show mercy.

It is like being part of the crew of a lifeboat going out to a sinking ship. As far as possible we want everyone to be taken on board our lifeboat so that we can be sure they are safe. But there are some clinging to broken bits of wood. Others have taken hold of the life-belts we have thrown to them. We hope that they will be saved too. We know where they will be safe. But we want them to come to the lifeboat for THEIR benefit not for OURS. And if they are managing to keep afloat holding tight to a piece of wood or a life-belt then we are glad that for the moment they are safe, even while we still want them to come to the lifeboat.

If someone cries out for help we would not shout back, 'Sorry, we are not allowed to help you because you are not in the life-boat'. If that were the case then no-one would be saved.

Father Peter
  •   I used to think that their church is empty like a hall but as you said God still looks their heart to find if they are sincere. Even the crosses they are wearing looks powerless to me. I used to think that God's power is concentrated in the Orthodox Chruch.
      That was my reason why I asked how they could cast out demons?
    could it be like that person who cast out the devil in the Gospel who was not officially following Jesus and got complain from the apostles?
      The analogy of the boat is a clear to reflect the situation.
    Thank you again Father.
  •   I don't think it is exciting. I don't know if u really understand what exorcism is all about!
  • i think that entry is spam, advertising. i have reported it.
    certainly don't watch any movies about this!