MOSQUE!!!!!

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I can't believe nobody started a thread for this, but, there is a Sheikh(imam), who is building a 4 million dollar mosque 2 blocks away from Ground Zero in new york. Obama supports it, while most americans say that it is an outrage that the people who brought the twin towers down think they can come back and build a religious monument on the place. Some people say that this might be  a HQ for terrorists to knock down more buildings. I just wanted to see what everybody thought about this subject. Should they be able to build it or not?

Comments

• [quote author=geomike link=topic=9616.msg118450#msg118450 date=1282323505]
    I can't believe nobody started a thread for this, but, there is a Sheikh(imam), who is building a 4 million dollar mosque 2 blocks away from Ground Zero in new york. Obama supports it, while most americans say that it is an outrage that the people who brought the twin towers down think they can come back and build a religious monument on the place. Some people say that this might be  a HQ for terrorists to knock down more buildings. I just wanted to see what everybody thought about this subject. Should they be able to build it or not?

it's not like we can do much to stop it. i hear many are resisting it. but despite what will be done, we just have to deal with it....nothing more.
  • lol, GODlovesme, i would probably do the same thing.

And minagir, what you say is correct, we can't do anything,

{but we have such a smart president so no worries.}(sarcasm)
  • Geo,

The mosque will be built with a cost of $100-130 million not 4 million.
  • We are not to return evil for evil. It is better to fast and pray and use humbly those means which we have to make concerns known. But there are a lot worse things happening to Christians around the world.

I do note that Saudi Arabia has asked to build another mosque in Moscow and has been told that permission will be granted when an Orthodox church is given building permission in Saudi Arabia.
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=9616.msg118456#msg118456 date=1282327855]
    I do note that Saudi Arabia has asked to build another mosque in Moscow and has been told that permission will be granted when an Orthodox church is given building permission in Saudi Arabia.

Wow.....that i like. I would love to hear the verdict of that one day..... :)
  • This is just my point of view, I honestly don't mean to offend anyone but...

Ithink it SHOULD be built.

As long as it doesn't affect our beliefs, then why would we object to people exercising their rights.  America was never designated as a Christian country [and even if it was, I find it Anti-Christian, to deny people freedom of religion] but as a country for all to worship to whomever they want.

I understand many disagree with me, because of the 'not-so-nice' things Muslims have inflicted on Christians in the past, but I find it completely close-minded of Americans to object to allowing it to be built next to the WTC site, it's that kind of thinking that promotes hate and racism. People shouldn't allow the actions of a few, to reflect on a religion [regardless of how false it is.]  I understand some people will say that Islam teaches such and such, but when it boils down to it, only a minority fully believe in following 'such and such' and even a smaller minority actually practice it.

• It used to be the status quo in Rome (in same manner as in Moscow):  no church in Saudi Arabia, no mosque in Rome.  Until, John Paul II decided to give the okay to the Italian Government to allow a Grand Mosque to be built in Rome.  Still no Church in Saudi Arabia...so much for tolerance.

Gregory,

The main issue is the mosque, relative to historical tradition, would be a triumph marker for a victory of Islam over the Infidel.  This is no different than other mosques in Asia Minor and the Middle East.  They are commemorative for a given victory.

This is the reason for the controversy.
  • Gregory,

The main issue is the mosque, relative to historical tradition, would be a triumph marker for a victory of Islam over the Infidel.  This is no different than other mosques in Asia Minor and the Middle East.  They are commemorative for a given victory.

This is the reason for the controversy.

Well yea you're right, most terrorists will see this as a win, however does that mean it's right to technically deny the American Muslims [who for the most part, aren't terrorists]the right to worship there.  If America refused to allow it's construction, so the extremists don't call it a victory, then technically America would be discriminating against the entire Muslim population, for a small minority.  Sorta like me not hiring all Hispanics, because I don't like Cubans [just an example, I really have no problem with Hispanics.]
  • But are the Muslims who will be attending the mosque gonna be the same ones who attacked us? Or are we just over-generalizing?

I can't stand it when someone looks at the acts of a single Christian as being hypocritical and uses them to label the entire group. So I'm trying not to do the same with Islam/terrorism.
  • ^^ yeah, i really don't understand how politicians claim islam is "a  religion of peace" there is not a single peaceful verse in their koran.

anyways
    my opinion is : i am not mad at obama nor do i disagree with him for allowing it because the American consititution calls for freedom of religion for all.  No church will ever be built in Saudi Arabia, but Saudi Arabia is not America...and never will be.  Who i am mad at, however, are the muslims.  I am outraged that they would even make this request.  They KNOW it can't be denied, they KNOW it will stir division amongst Americans and politicians, and i'm pretty sure it's like a seal of their victory on America.  It outrages me even more that muslim americans, however peaceful, are defending this request and claiming it's their right and yatta yatta...so, yeah it's their right, but why would they want to bring so much heartache and anger amongst americans and towards themselves when they can have a mosque any where else, and they already do, mosques are EVERYWHERE!
  • This situation worries me.

I'm deeply worried for muslims.

Im all for America's constitution which encompasses religious freedom; however, the wisdom behind building a 100 million dollar mosque right next to ground zero is not wise at all. This will be seen as the flag of victory, in a war torn United States of America. It will be the last straw for many Americans.

Americans are deeply religious people, and since 9/11, they've all seemed to become experts in Islam.

I don't think they will tolerate this. I'm pretty sure there will be backlash. The building of this mosque is simply adding insult to injury.

That's why I am worried for muslims. Despite Americans being tolerant, their culture or even mentality won't allow for this.

I really fear there could be a very severe backlash.
  • You are so correct Zoxasi, THERE WILL BE A BACKLASH, there will be a huge rebellion, Obama has made the stupidest decision of his presidency.
  • Geo,

I think Obama has done plenty of stupid things in his presidency.  Although this is stupid, I think he has done even more stupid things.  We should have a poll started to rate them.
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=9616.msg118478#msg118478 date=1282400640]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9616.msg118476#msg118476 date=1282398007]
    Geo,

I think Obama has done plenty of stupid things in his presidency.  Although this is stupid, I think he has done even more stupid things.  We should have a poll started to rate them.

Or better, we should try to get him impeached.

He hasn't done anything against what he is "supposed to do" for him to become impeached.
  • Unfortunately, he has not.
  • yes, he did many dumb things, but he had no choice for this decision. even though he is most likely muslim and he is for this mosque being built, as the president, he has to be fair and follow the consitution. the constitution says freedom of religion. if a church can get permission ot be built near ground zero, then a mosque must be also.

i hope God prevents this though... it will stir up conflicts and as many people know, you do not want to mess with muslims.
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=9616.msg118466#msg118466 date=1282349209]
    Hmm...let's take a look at Islam...true practicing Muslims follow the Koran to the dot, and the Koran clearly states in certain verses that it does not tolerate other religions.  People who do not listen to the Koran cannot call themselves Muslims.  And btw, all the people here in the U.S. who claim that they are Muslims and that their religion preaches peace and acceptance are liars.
    go to egypt and you'll find muslims are the exact opposite of what you think
  • GODLOVESME, it's true that most muslims are corrupted like that, but there are also some muslim people that are nicer than some christians today. We can't judge a book by its cover. The truth is though, that most of them do hate us and that's just there loss, lol.
  • There's also going to be a backlash against anyone who is from Egypt. I mean, this is going to result in a lot of blind hatred. Americans won't understand what "coptic christian" is. They'll probably think its a sect of Islam.

I always get this from American Evangelicals:

* American: "You're from Egypt?"
    Me:  "Yes"
    * American: "So you're muslim"?
    Me: "no. I am Coptic Orthodox"
    * American "Oh, I see, so you're a muslim? Its an Islamic sect?"
    Me: "no no.. I'm a Christian"
    * American : "Oh OK! That's cool. So you're a muslim Christian?"
    Me: "no no.. look: I believe that Jesus Christ IS the Incarnate Word of God. He is my Lord and Saviour"
    * American "AMEN!"
    Me: "AMEN!"
    * American: "So you hate muslims? Also?"
    Me: "No no... I don't hate them at all.. why I have many good muslim friends whom I love deeply"
    * American "So, you're a muslim"?
    Me: "No.. I'm Coptic Orthodox. Its against my religion to hate anyone".
    * American: "So you have icons in your Church? You worship Icons and You worship Saint Mary?"
    Me: "No.. We only worship the Holy Trinity!!!"

God really protect us from such Americans. I meet 1000's of them.

I feel bad for any Muslim or Coptic Christian who has to deal with these losers: Their blind hatred really scares me.

For the safety of muslims, (whom I do care for) I feel it is not wise to build this mosque.
  • i totally understand. my boss kept thinking i was a muslim because i fast, despite the fact he noticed i wear a cross.
    as a white person i used to be surprised when people thought i was muslim, but now i consider it a privelige to join in the trials of my coptic brothers and sisters.
    one of the new english churches got windows smashed and graffiti saying 'no mosque here'! despite the fact there was a sign saying 'church' with a cross.
    it's true some people fail to use their brains and prefer to criticise things they don't understand.
    but not everyone is like this.
    we must be very patient and keep explaining our faith.
    Jesus warned us to expect persecution and trials, so it's normal.
    and yes, we must not hate anyone.
    i have close muslim friends, we respect each other and we discuss religion.
    other people are less tolerant; we must show them the way of love, even when it hurts.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=9616.msg118515#msg118515 date=1282568156]
    i totally understand. my boss kept thinking i was a muslim because i fast, despite the fact he noticed i wear a cross.
    as a white person i used to be surprised when people thought i was muslim, but now i consider it a privelige to join in the trials of my coptic brothers and sisters.
    one of the new english churches got windows smashed and graffiti saying 'no mosque here'! despite the fact there was a sign saying 'church' with a cross.
    it's true some people fail to use their brains and prefer to criticise things they don't understand.
    but not everyone is like this.
    we must be very patient and keep explaining our faith.
    Jesus warned us to expect persecution and trials, so it's normal.
    and yes, we must not hate anyone.
    i have close muslim friends, we respect each other and we discuss religion.
    other people are less tolerant; we must show them the way of love, even when it hurts.

Hang on... you're even a European looking lady? As far as I remember? You don't look middle eastern and STILL they think you're muslim?

Talk about ignorance...

Jesus Christ was born in the middle east.. not texas!
  • yup.
    apparently my browner friends think pale skin is cute. which is just as well, as i'm really pale, even in summer! i think they're just being nice  ;)
    i found a good link about the main story here:
    'Some Muslims Question Mosque Near Ground Zero'
    http://www.copts.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2136&Itemid=1
  • Anyway, I personally believe that discrimination against anyone is wrong. In fact, its a sin - there is no partiality in Christianity.

Having said that, I really hope that if it is built that Americans will not be violent nor retaliate in any way.

I still feel the choice of location for this mosque is not wise.