TASBEHA QUESTION! help/

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Well i know Sarkis wrote aripsaleen lol.
    A lot of them are straight psalms from the Bible (148, 149, 150 in second and 4th hoos). The third hoos is straight from the OT apocrypha - the story about the three young men and the song they sung while in the fire. And the first Hoos is also straight from the Bible - the one Moses and his people sung when they came out of the Red Sea.
    As for the lobshes and theotokias - no idea.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • there are some info in the end of this page: http://cof.rutgers.edu/saintmary.php

the psalies: we think that they were mostly written by monks of the deserts across egypt.....with the consideration of some ones that were written by different cantors (more specifcly the kiahk ones).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [quote author=DimyanCoptic link=topic=9606.msg118306#msg118306 date=1282094233]
    what about the theotokias?

visit the LINK!!!
  • wait ... we know that it a pope ....
  • i was taught that it was Saint Athanasius who wrote most of the Theotokias in response to Arius.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=9606.msg118386#msg118386 date=1282173681]
    i was taught that it was Saint Athanasius who wrote most of the Theotokias in response to Arius.

that is a teaching.....i've read it before. actually, i think that is what Abu-elbarakat says in his rites encyclopedia
  • wait the apostles did not have anything to do with this ???
  • [quote author=kirollos3 link=topic=9606.msg118390#msg118390 date=1282178427]
    wait the apostles did not have anything to do with this ???

No...not really. the term "theotokos" was used years after the apostles.
  • i just think they might started the tasbeha ...
    so wait what about the book of prayer  .. who made it .
  • [quote author=kirollos3 link=topic=9606.msg118395#msg118395 date=1282182800]
    i just think they might started the tasbeha ...
    so wait what about the book of prayer  .. who made it .

Psalmody is differnt than the book of hours. I think in the jewish tradition there are similar rites. I think the whole vespers prayer we do the night before liturgy is taken from the same tradition.
  • but tasbeha is made from stuff already there (bible).. it not a new thing . someone just put it together and called tasbeha
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9606.msg118300#msg118300 date=1282084133]
    there are some info in the end of this page: http://cof.rutgers.edu/saintmary.php

Great website Mina

This is what is on there website under Theotokias:

They were writings of Pope Cyril I defending the Theotokos and latter on they were constructed by a monk from the monastery of St. Makari to be in the form we have now. In the early Church they were only chanted in the monasteries but then Pope Benjamin I (590-661), the 38th pope ordered the churches to use them in their prayers.