Appropriate time to listen to christian music ..?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
sorry ahead of time to anyone who thinks this is some sort of joke, because it's an actual question...
I always listen to music when i'm getting ready... ya know showering, teeth brushing, face washing...the usual stuff.  and it's usually just radio music.  recently, i've gotten into the habit of listening to the radio station for christian music (non-orthodox).  i really never ever thought i would like it, but turns out i do, actually i love it ! so, i figured for that hour or so of getting ready, i could just listen to christian music instead of all the other music i listen to.  I saw nothing wrong with it at first, but then i felt slightly ashamed for doing that, and realized that i would never ever do that with coptic hymns and this christian music is essentially the same thing.... so my question is: is it, or is it not appropriate to listen to christian music during this time ?  We should always have Christ on our minds at all times, right ? or is it wrong because it doesnt have my full undivided attention, or because it's not an exactly holy activity... ? or what..?

Comments

• having a wash is a perfectly natural and holy activity.
    i often sing agios o theos in the shower or other hymns.
    God made u, so it's no big deal that He sees u naked. He sees u anyway, so u might as well sing!
    hymns and prayers and psalms can be something we really concentrate on at church or at home, but they can also be in the background.

if u never pray at home except in the bathroom, that would be wrong, because it means your life is full of too many 'important' things that push God out.
    but if u pray and sing to God normally, i.e. with full attention, it's also ok to continue your conversations with God throught every aspect of life.

health warning: please don't get too carried away in prayer while driving, u actually need to look at the road as well!

otherwise, the most amazing spiritual people i met so far are those who pray or sing hymns while cooking, walking, sitting in the living room etc. so if u fill yr life with praise to God, it will automatically include the bathroom as well (not that we necessarily all need to know 2 many details about it!)
  • I use Ari Hoo o Chasf and Shere Ne Maria to time my showers, like, after 1 Ari and 1 Shere i should be finished, and if im not, i repeat Ari, and I always finish by then :D
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ari Hoo o Chasf is the best shower song!
    (praise Him and exalt Him above all)
    where is a good place to download it in coptic?
    coz i sing 'da da da da-a da da da da-a da
    da da da da da dada da
    da da da da-a da da da da-a da
    hos erof Ari Hoo o Chasf'

and i want to learn the words
    ;)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=9596.msg118381#msg118381 date=1282159864]
    Ari Hoo o Chasf is the best shower song!
    (praise Him and exalt Him above all)
    where is a good place to download it in coptic?
    coz i sing 'da da da da-a da da da da-a da
    da da da da da dada da
    da da da da-a da da da da-a da
    hos erof Ari Hoo o Chasf'

and i want to learn the words
    ;)

Are you referring to "Aripsalin" or "Ari Hoo o Chasf"... because in Ari Hoo o Chasf.. whell.. those are the only words haha
  • the one from tasbeha where there is a refrain after most of the verses saying 'praise Him and exalt Him above all'.
    please also tell me about the other one(s) coz i don't know the songs very well by their coptic names.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah, you are talking about aripsaleen - it's the fast one that is played with the cymbals and talks about the three saintly youth

Ari Hoo Chasf goes like:

Ariiiiii iiiiieeeiiiii eiiieieiiii iiieiiieiieiieiieiiiieieeeee
    ieieieiiiiiiieiiieiiieiiiieiiieiiiiiiiieiiiiiiieiiiieiiieiiiiiiiieiiiiiiieiiiiiiieiiieiiiieiiiiiiieiiieiiieiiiieiiieiiiiieiieiiiii
    ieiiiieiiieiieiiieiiieiiiieiieieiiiiiieiieieiieiieiiiiiiieiiieiiieiiieiiieiieieieiieiiiiiiieiiieiieieiiiiiieiiiiiieiiieiiieiieieieieieiiiiii
    then it goes low
    iiiieiiiieiiiiiieiiieiiiieiiiiiiieiiiiiiieiiiiiiieiiiiiiieiiiiii
    ieiiiiii eiiie i ie iiiiii iei ie iii eiiiiii eiii ei ieiiiii eieiiiii
    lol ok you get the point
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=9596.msg118410#msg118410 date=1282220272]
    the one from tasbeha where there is a refrain after most of the verses saying 'praise Him and exalt Him above all'.
    please also tell me about the other one(s) coz i don't know the songs very well by their coptic names.

Yes that is Aripsalin. Elshaid Abu Fam has a very nice recording of it on this website, but alot of their names are mixed up, so it is labeled third hoos lol.

Ari Hoo o Chasf is at the very end of the third hoos, ill try and find a good recording of it for you :)

pray for me,
    Chris
  • thank you so much for your answers guys!  I really appreciate it.  I always refrained from listening to tasbeha or hymns or christian music in the bathroom for fear of it being disrespectful or something, but you all made a very good point that there's nothing wrong with it, so tahnks ! (: