Geek Orthodox Crossing themselves

So I work with a Greek Orthodox Person and we always talk about our religions and how they are similar and different. One thing that came up was how we cross ourselves. The Father and The Son are the same. Then when the two spots for the Holy Spirit come, we switch them. The Greek Orthodox cross from Right to Left.

Why is this different? I thought that only minor beliefs were different and we all crossed ourselves since Christianity began.

Comments

• This is an explanation I heard a while ago. In Greek they say “Holy Spirit” while in Laing “Spirit Holy”. We use the Latin version when we cross ourselves. What does this have to do with our difference? Both Coptic’s and Greek’s touch their right shoulder when they say holy signifying the right side is Holy. So, the Greeks touch their right shoulder first and then the left because they say Holy Spirit. We however, touch our left shoulder first because we say Spirit Holy. We agree on the reason behind it, it’s just a linguistic difference that brought the practice variation. 
    Fun Fact:
    Crossing oneself has many symbolisms behind it:
    1. The three fingers drawn together signify the Trinity while the two fingers signify the two united nature of Christ.
    2. Christ was in heaven (so we touch our head), and descended to earth (we touch below our shoulder) then He went to Hades (we touch our left shoulder) and then he sits at the right hand of the Father (we touch our right shoulder).
    3. Another symbolism:
    'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul (touching our chest) and with all your strength (touching our shoulders) and with all your mind' (touching your head) Deut. 6:5

In Christ
    Theophilus

• When Christians first crossed themselves it was only on the forehead and not as we do it now.

Father Peter
  • ...so it doesn't matter.
    when i visited a greek orthodox church on sunday, i did it the eastern orthodox way, coz it's not important and so they realised i was also orthodox.
    it was a beautiful service and we had a nice chat afterwards.

so u can not only make the sign of the cross together, but it would also be a great idea to pray together at work!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=9564.msg117909#msg117909 date=1281545295]
    When Christians first crossed themselves it was only on the forehead and not as we do it now.

Father Peter

So did it "evolve" from there? I heard that at first it was the forehead, then the heart, and then the entire body as we do now.
  • Granted it's a minor difference that isn't really theologically relevant, however, I heard we go from the left shoulder to the right shoulder, because it represents us going from a state sin to one of holiness [right].

Sorta reinforcing the concept that the 'right' is blessed, in comparison to the 'left.'
  • dextrous--right
    sinistrous--left (sinister).

Hey Father Peter,

What was the reasoning in the days for the signing on the forehead?