Syrian Orthodox Church - BBC

edited August 2010 in Random Issues
A short clip on the Syrian Orthoodx church. I do know that Syriac and Aramiac belong to the Semitic family of langauges and abviously have many words that are similar,but I never realised Christ spoke Syriac (according to the syrian priest) ,which would mean ,the main language of  the Jews was Syriac too and not Aramaic,regardless of whether Syriac is a dialect of Aramaic?Or is the priest making a bold claim?

Syrian Orthodox Church - BBC

Comments

• wow thats very cool and pretty similar in many ways
    but why is the deacon holding the shoria..and the priests look sooooo young!
  • [quote author=Marina6 link=topic=9542.msg117579#msg117579 date=1281153199]
    wow thats very cool and pretty similar in many ways
    but why is the deacon holding the shoria..and the priests look sooooo young!

when i saw that decon with the shoria .. i freaked out , if our abounas saw that you will have to run .
  • A full consecrated Deacon does incense with the Shoriya in certain parts of the Liturgy.
  • but not a normal one ... you only go give it to abouna but you do not just take it and start waving it . 
  • aramaic and syriac are terms for dialects of the same language.
    some Christians in iraq and syria still speak these at home.
    these dialects for them are a bit like coptic for us.
    they are similar to the dialects jews and assyrians and other people in what is now palestine, israel, syria and iraq used to speak.
    in those days, jews used to speak hebrew in liturgical services and aramaic at other times.
  • ya they say that in  the video
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=9542.msg117597#msg117597 date=1281197239]
    aramaic and syriac are terms for dialects of the same language.
    some Christians in iraq and syria still speak these at home.
    these dialects for them are a bit like coptic for us.
    they are similar to the dialects jews and assyrians and other people in what is now palestine, israel, syria and iraq used to speak.
    in those days, jews used to speak hebrew in liturgical services and aramaic at other times.

Mabsoota, thanks. Does this mean when Jesus was talking in Aramaic, he was at the same time speaking in Syriac. Like a person speaking in American unfunny English, but at the same time  those that speak that funny accent of the English language understand? Because when the priest says, Jesus language was Syriac, I thougt he was not acknowledging aramaic as the main language of the day.The Priest could have mentioned in passing that Syriac is a dialect of aramaic ,but I got the impression,that he simply wanted to dismiss it in an attempt to elevate the Syriac language.If it was not for the BBC reporter who explained the relation between Syriac and Aramaic,a casual viewer would not know the difference.
  • My understanding is that Syriac is the Aramaic dialect of Edessa which became dominant.
  • Fr Peter,thanks. I just found this :

"Aramaic (or Syriac; Aram is the Hebrew word for Syria)." It could not be any clearer.
  • Hi everyone,

Sorry, I don't post often and I can't figure out how to start a new topic, but I have an important message. St. Clement Coptic Orthodox Academy, in Nashville, TN, is the first Coptic school in the United States. However, they have a great need for resources and financial support. Right now, they have an extraordinary opportunity to win $500,000 from Kohl's (a department store), who is giving away that amount to the schools that are in the top 20 of receiving votes on Facebook. St. Clement is currently 18th, so every vote counts. Please vote at the following link: http://apps.facebook.com/KohlsCares/school/1286781/st-clement-coptic-orthodox-christian-academy

Important: PLEASE VOTE 5 TIMES! Each voter can vote for one school up to 5 times.

Thanks! Spread the word!!!

P.S. Sorry for posting off topic, but I feel this is very important. If someone knows how to start a new topic about this opportunity, that would be great. Thanks!
  • [quote author=kirollos3 link=topic=9542.msg117595#msg117595 date=1281196230]
    but not a normal one ... you only go give it to abouna but you do not just take it and start waving it . 

A full ordained deacon can give the blood during communion , hold shoria and even do the liturgy if the priest reposes or during emergencies.

An "Deacon" is not the deacon you are thinking of the full decon are not the ones you see at church with little kids...  those are hymnist but we call them deacons... the Deacon is a rank in the church it is the first step in becoming a Priest (they even wear black like a priest outside church)
  • [quote author=Pharaoh714 link=topic=9542.msg118157#msg118157 date=1281851472]
    A full ordained deacon can give the blood during communion,
    ONLY if he was ordained to do that. some full deacons are ordained to not give the Blood and therefore not touch the vessels.

even do the liturgy if the priest reposes or during emergencies.

not exactly.....first, there would not really be "emergencies"....the only exception is the repose of the father with the case of not being able to bring another priest from the area to finish the liturgy instead.

also it's not necessarily the full deacon but the highest rank where seniority will also be considered.