British Orthodox Liturgy

Does anyone know where I can get a video of the British Orthodox Liturgy? I really want to watch one.

Comments

• [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=9436.msg116300#msg116300 date=1278689708]
    Does anyone know where I can get a video of the British Orthodox Liturgy? I really want to watch one.

i second that....i really want to hear one rather then see....like a full liturgy.
  • I'm curious myself.
  • same here. does anyone know where we can get one?
  • Father Peter, do you know anywhere we can get one?
  • I rose early to take a two and a half hour journey to Fr Peter's church in Chatham so I can speak with first hand experience of the BOC liturgy.

I suggest that seeing things on Youtube, although better than nothiing, is no substitute for actual bodily presence. Obviously difficult if you live in the USA or Australia etc.

In London there are occasional Coptic liturgies in English so I'm sure they take place abroad.

I don't know what I'm rambling on about so I'll leave you to those who know better.

• I am away on holiday in Scotland at the moment, but when I get back I will see if I can get enough technology together to record our liturgy.

Father Peter
  • wait what is the difference between the USA and the UK liturgy ... they are bother the same ... i think what you mean ... is the English version of the liturgy ... or am i wrong 

• the coptic church prays the liturgy of saint basil. i think the BOC prays the liturgy of saint james?
  • Me too!!!!! Also, where can I find the text?
  • wait have you tried the American one .. or is it totally different
  • I attend the Coptic Orthodox Church/Liturgy of St. Basil in North America. I have never even been to England, but the British Orthodox text/liturgy is different from ours as someone noted above. I'm guessing the hymns and tunes might also be different, but I don't know because I've never been exposed to it.
  • :-\ :-\ :-\
  • I think we have to clarify something.

We aren't talking about Coptic Orthodox Churches in the UK. They pray the same liturgy as we do here in the US. The only difference is their funny English accents  ;D :P

This thread is speaking about the Liturgy of the British Orthodox Church, which is a daughter church of the Patriarchate of Alexandria. As mentioned before they use the Liturgy of St. James.

Sorry if I'm repeating known knowledge, I just felt people were getting confused and its better to clear things up :)

Pray for me.
  • [quote author=Tishori link=topic=9436.msg117546#msg117546 date=1281111615]
    I think we have to clarify something.

We aren't talking about Coptic Orthodox Churches in the UK. They pray the same liturgy as we do here in the US. The only difference is their funny English accents  ;D :P

This thread is speaking about the Liturgy of the British Orthodox Church, which is a daughter church of the Patriarchate of Alexandria. As mentioned before they use the Liturgy of St. James.

Sorry if I'm repeating known knowledge, I just felt people were getting confused and its better to clear things up :)

Pray for me.

i get it know ...  ;D ;D
  • yes, the BOC uses the liturgy of saint james of jerusalem, which is really nice.
    and we (british) have funny accents!!
    LOL
  • thats why i was wondering how it sounded (not because of the accent). do they sing the liturgy?i was watching the liturgy from the oriental orthodox festival and when the british priests started praying...they were just talking and it got boring but when you anba angelos begins praying...it was so angelic (ironic? lol) i was just wondering.
  • they do sing parts of it.
    when a british orthodox priest does part of the coptic liturgy, though, he tends not to sing it as the tunes are very different and it is really difficult to learn.
    eg i have an idea of most of the tunes after 2 years (1 year and 364 days to be exact!) of being coptic and more years of regular visits, but imagine u grew up in another church and then only went to a coptic church a few times, u wouldn't know the tunes.
  • So why do they pray a different liturgy if they are under the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate? Metropolitan Seraphim is a Coptic Metropolitan isn't he?
  • We pray a different liturgy because we are British, not Egyptian, and we our mission is to reach British people with the Orthodox Faith. The tunes that we use in the liturgy suit British people, which is our aim, and which helps fulfill the mission that Pope Shenouda gave our diocese. The French Coptic Orthodox Church is also under the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate but is French not Egyptian. And I am sure that the missions in Sub-Saharan Africa also reflect those cultures. The Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox do not have the same sounding liturgy or worship as the Coptic, but until recently they were also under the care of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate.

The Orthodox Church has always preserved the same faith, but it is necessary that the Orthodox Faith be practiced and inculturated in a manner which is part of each local culture. This is why the Coptic Orthodox Church does not use Aramaic and worship according to the Syrian rite.

Father Peter
  • then why don't the British Orthodox have their own Patriarch if they are considered a branch of the orthodox?
  • Why?

The British Orthodox Church is only a diocese especially for British people, and only has a diocesan bishop.

It is not autocepalous or autonomous, though of course as a diocese under a Metropolitan there is the usual freedom for our bishop to guide the diocese in his care but always in communion with his brother bishops in the Holy Synod.

The French Orthodox Church is only a diocese especially for French people, and only as a diocesan bishop.

There is neither a need nor a desire for any sort of independent existence. I would rather expect that as the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate engages in more and more mission there might well be the development of other local dioceses in the same way around the world, all finding a proper structure within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate. This is the historical relationship which the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate had with many other smaller local Churches, including those which no longer exist.

And it is also the case that within the Eastern Orthodox communion there are and have been more local communities than Patriarchs. The Church of Estonia is a local Church but it is not a patriarchate. The Church of Finland is a local Church but it is not a patriarchate. And there are many other examples.

Father Peter
  • But why isn't it its own branch of oriental orthodoxy? the BOC prays its own liturgies and probably has different rites than the Coptic. We do not see the Syrian Orthodox Church under the Coptic Patriarchate...they have their own Patriarch. Same with the Ethiopians and the rest of the Orthodox Churches
  • The Church isn't about rites. It's about life in Christ.

The Syrians are one of the ancient 5 patriarchates, but the Nubians, and extinct Church, did not have their own patrirach. Nor did the Ethiopians until a few decades ago. For more than a thousand years the Ethiopian Church was dependent on the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate.

If there is no need for a patriarch then history does not show any need for additional ones.

The BOC uses the same rites as the Coptic Orthodox, except for the liturgy. But I don't see that matters at all. The Church is not a matter of rites, it is a matter of life in Christ, and this is beyond rites and languages and is to do with unity in Christ.

Father Peter
  • if u go into a british orthodox church building (from my vast experience of 2!), it looks coptic. a coptic Christian will definately feel at home there.
    the icons are similar, even those of the british saints are in a similar style.
    u will see saint antony, a photo of baba shenouda and the vestments are the same.

it's good for us to share the same authority structure, otherwise the british metropolitan would be alone instead of having great relationships with the coptic bishops.
    also we copts learn a lot from the british orthodox church, and we can work closely together without having to pause for permission from a patriarch.

i don't any patriarchs personally, but i believe they are fairly busy people, and us being together means that we are automatically brothers without having to arrange official communication between our leaders in order to work together.

our lovely patriarch supports the british orthodox clergy in their mission to teach the good news of our Saviour, and has permitted the use of an ancient oriental orthodox liturgy (saint james), which shares many aspects with the liturgies of saints basil, gregory and cyril. the censing is the same, the agpeya prayers are the same, the theology is the same.

so we are like two brothers sharing rooms in the same house. each room is a little different, but there is no reason for either brother to move out because they love to spend time together.
  • Is there a video/audio of a British Orthodox Liturgy available?
  • Hello I would like to watch a British Orthodox Liturgy too. Please can anyone help?