what is the difference between praying aloud and in heart???

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I have these Qs

1. What is the difference between praying aloud and in silence?
2. Which one is more effective?

Comments

• It's mainly whatever works for you. You need to pray from the heart, and either praying aloud or in your mind can achieve that.

Typically when I'm alone I like to pray aloud because I tend to get distracted when praying in silence
  • Praying aloud .. Everyone hears
    Praying in Silence .... No one hears

Q. Which one is more effective?

A. The one with the right prayer and sincere heart
  • The devil can't read our minds or know what we're thinking.. how would he be able to tell if we are praying inaudibly? Can he feel the power of God when trying to interfere?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=9503.msg117065#msg117065 date=1280160302]
    The devil can't read our minds or know what we're thinking.. how would he be able to tell if we are praying inaudibly? Can he feel the power of God when trying to interfere?

I always thought that the devil can read our thoughts. He tempts us primarily with thoughts, some of which come out of nowhere and without a tangible stimulus.

As far as the initial question goes, I think praying out loud is better because that leaves you more with the feeling that you're talking with God. Even when praying inaudibly, it's probably better to mouth the words so that it's not the same as normal thoughts.
  • the church through the sacraments actually teaches us to do both!

depends on the place and the surrounding, if I'm with a group of people in church, and i go inside the Altar to pray, am I going to speak out loud to God?! if I do that I'm not considerate of others, and I really might be a stumbling block... or if I'm at work, am i going to lay a rug and pray out loud, to make sure people know I'm talking to God?!

and if I'm home in my room, while its dead quite, am I going to pray quietly, so that my thoughts go all over the place?!
    even the agpeya has a tune to be prayed in, from our fathers the monks who use to pray out loud... so prayer out loud is, personally, preferred, but make sure you do it in the right time and place! 

but the main point is pray... whether its from your heart or from your mouth... just keep communication with God!

The devil can't read our minds or know what we're thinking.. how would he be able to tell if we are praying inaudibly? Can he feel the power of God when trying to interfere?

of course he cant... but when you pray, you are in the presence of God... so the devil is very limited by God's permission!

its the same as if you memorize a psalm, and repeat it in temptations, the devil becomes very limited in his fights!

neshkor Allah, akhadna el baraka!
  • Thank u all.

I know these monasteries where they have a prayer type which is accompanied by fasting. It starts with 3 days and goes on to 7 and 15 days and so on.
      In these days u shall not even utter a single voice from ur mouth. It is considered that u completed perfectly if u keep in silence and pray in heart till the third day. If in any reason at all a word or even a single shout come out of ur mouth then u failed.
      There is a reward also for those who finish this which is manifested spiritually like in a dream or answers to their questions.
      By the way this is an Ethiopian monastery.
      This was my starting point for my Qs. Is there any better value given to silence prayers ???
  • + Abouna quoted this verse: "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer." -Psalm 19:14
  • It is stated in the bible that God only hears a sincere prayer and loud praying is useless without deep faith within you.
  • The difference is, one type of prayer you are praying aloud, the other is in silence. Both are just as effective as a prayer is a prayer.
  • well first when you pray inside of you .. sometimes you start going off topic and think other stuff ....
    but when out loud , it is very hard to start thinking about other stuff. i suggest praying out loud .
  • pray at all times on all occasions.
    btw the demons can't read our thoughts.
    also it doesn't matter if they know we are praying.
    james says 'submit to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you.'
    so, submission means doing God's will and prayer is a big part of that.
    it's less important if u pray out loud or quietly.
  • maybe both ... some inside of you .. and some out loud