Who is the prohet Mohammed?

edited July 2010 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Agapy everyone,

I have an issue I was wondering about for some time.Who is the Prophet of Islam,Prophet Mohammed (MODERATED) in our view? There are people who say that his coming had been proclaimed in the bible.Does Christianity view him as a Saint,prophet and messenger of God or just as an ordinary human devoid of or with God's spirit?

looking forward to any thoughts you may have.

Agapy!

Comments

• Without a lot of detail, to us, he is not a prophet.  He is not mentioned in the Holy Bible or foretold in the Holy Bible.  I will leave comment at this point.
  • [quote author=Mozes link=topic=9471.msg116753#msg116753 date=1279489583]
    Agapy everyone,

I have an issue I was wondering about for some time.Who is the Prophet of Islam,Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) in our view? There are people who say that his coming had been proclaimed in the bible.Does Christianity view him as a Saint,prophet and messenger of God or just as an ordinary human devoid of or with God's spirit?

Agapy!

he is just a false prophet...the closest he'll get to the Bible is in this verse:
    2 Peter 2:1 NKJ
    But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.
  • Minagir,

I had a different verse in mind, but I am trying to restrain myself in preparation for the Great Lent in 2011.
  • Hey guys check out this video its very interesting.

• [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9471.msg116761#msg116761 date=1279496850]
    Minagir,

I had a different verse in mind, but I am trying to restrain myself in preparation for the Great Lent in 2011.

hahaha....wow, it would be that bad that you are getting ready from now....we're not even in kiahk yet

Prophet Mohammed (PBUH)
    Agapy!

DO NOT WRITE P.B.U.H.!!!! it stands for peace be upon him (3alieh al salat wal salam), you are not his follower so you dont need to write that... in the quran it says  "GOD and His angels help and support the prophet. O you who believe, you shall help and support him, and regard him as he should be regarded." or a different translation, "Allah  and His angels  send blessings on the Prophet: O ye that believe! Send ye blessings on him, and salute him with all respect."

so this is called a salwa (prayer) to be prayed on his name after mentioning it... if you agree with it, then go along with it... but if you are Christian, its not a statement for you!

neshkor Allah, akhadna el baraka!
  • The guy is a curse upon the world.  I wonder why the Druze reject him ::)

By the way, I read that The GREATEST JEWISH philosopher of the Middle Ages, MAIMONIDES(1138-1204) was able to indentify the guy in the following verse. What do you guys think?

[Hosea 9:7] THE DAYS OF VISITATION ARE COME, THE DAYS OF RECOMPENCE ARE COME; ISRAEL SHALL KNOW IT: THE PROPHET IS A FOOL, THE SPIRITUAL MAN IS MAD, FOR THE MULTITUDE OF THINE INIQUITY, AND THE GREAT HATRED.

Yehonathan implies that at that time Israel shall know that they let themselves be mislead by false prophets and did not listen to the Prophets of the Bible. THE PROPHET IS A FOOL: Hebrew, "evil[evil] ha-Navi [prophet]". The word translated as A FOOL is "evil" or "avil" and connotes foolishness in an evil sense or something like criminal irresponsibility. This word begins with an "aleph". There is another Hebrew word that almost sounds the same ("avil") and begins with an "ayin" and means injustice. Both words are similar in intent and apparently gave rise to the English word "evil" meaning wickedness.
    THE SPIRITUAL MAN: Hebrew "ish [important] ha-Ruach [of spirit]" may also be understood to say "spiritual leader".

MAD: Hebrew "meshuga". Maimonides [d. 1204 CE] uses this same expression when he refers to Mohammed founder of Islam.
  • i'll try to talk about islam and muhamads actions, in no way am i attacking people.

muhammad was one of the biggest killers on earth, even in his quran surah 9 mentions multiple times to kill the people of the book (ie. christians and jews).  and even there books say he was posesed with the "white devil".  none of our holy fathers in the old or new testament was possed with a demon.  Also none of our saints ever killed they were the  ones being killed (by muslims actually!!!)

hope this helped
  • I don't think we need to make any negative statements about Mohammed. The fact is that Christianity and Islam don't teach the same things, therefore, if you are a Christian you cannot hold Mohammed as a prophet. Christ and Mohammed are in no way equal. 
  • we are not saying negative comments... but to speak about such man, only negative will come out! not because we want you, but when you speak positively of a negative man, it would be a lie!

• From an exact familial placement:  I would say that he is Mr. & Mrs. Mohammed's son.
    Agapy everyone,

I have an issue I was wondering about for some time.Who is the Prophet of Islam,Prophet Mohammed (MODERATED) in our view? There are people who say that his coming had been proclaimed in the bible.Does Christianity view him as a Saint,prophet and messenger of God or just as an ordinary human devoid of or with God's spirit?

Agapy!

Well, The "Prophet" denies the Divinity of Christ.

Let me tell you something that I feel will answer your question (just a feeling!).

Have you noticed that Our Patriarch, Saint Athanasious was ousted by Arians, and a heretical pope was put in his place? Doesnt that seem strange to you? To come to a country, kill others based on theology ? I mean, that's what the Arians did. They insisted so much that their dogmas were correct, they killed countless numbers of Christians and even did evil things against our Pope: Saint Athanasious the Apostolic.

What were their beliefs? Arius (the heretical priest) believed that Christ was not really God. He was like a demi-god, or .. if you like , an exalted man, or.. a prophet.

It was an Arius (heretical) priest that taught Mohammad.

Is it not interesting to see that, in Islam, prophets are extremely exalted also? I mean, as if they are demi-gods? Is this ringing a bell yet???

Have you noticed that in Islam, they spread their theology through violence - a bit like the Arians - Hello?? Is it ringing yet??

Arius denied the complete Divinity of Christ, which nullifies salvation. The same with Islam, and they even go to the extent of saying that Christ was about to be crucified, yet He wasn't.

Just a small question though: For what reason or crime was Christ, in the Quran, made to be crucified for, where an "angel" took His place? What was His crime?

All this boils down to Arianism. To understand the roots and theology of Islam, look at its source: Arianism.
  • Zoxsasi,

Your comments ring loudly in similarity for myself in discussions that I have with Americans.  Heresies never die out they remanifest themselves in different forms.
  • its not just stuff froma rianism but also from judeasim and lots of paganism muhamad in fact was a pagan. and the disagreements with the jews came because he said something close to their belief and they all laughed at him when he claimed he made it up
  • Mohammed was actually Christian, sort of. He was taught by a Nestorian monk, or excommunicated monk named Bohaira, which is in the hadith. Where do you think Mohammed got the idea to live in a cave? How many jews lived in caves? How many pagans lived in caves? Bohaira taught Mohammed that the jews and Christians had become corrupt and had removed references to him in scripture, hence Islam is a cult. This is echoed by St. John of Damascus, who also viewed Islam as a cult stemming from Nestorianism.

Who is Mohammed? An epileptic, megalomaniacal, pedophile who was also masochistic and maniacal.
  • they say that if u draw a random stick figure and call it mohamad its very offensive but if u call it allah then its not offensive at all. :-\ creepy
  • Acts 4:12 - Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.