HOLY COMMUNION

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• [quote author=DimyanCoptic link=topic=9470.msg116745#msg116745 date=1279467593]
    I don't want to, and obviously can't, change the Orthodox faith.

But i dont think babies and young children should take communion. Of course, its a blessing, but they dont understand how Holy IT is. Any thoughts?

do you?!
  • Matt 19:14 Let the children come to me, do not stop them, because the kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The Holy Communion is a spiritual medicine. We wouldn't deny medicine to a child because it does not understand it, nor so we deny the eucharist to a child because it does not understand it. Indeed it is a mystery which means that none of us entirely understand it, so we would have to deny it to all of us. :-)

The sacraments are God's gift to us, and they are not a reward and not to be limited to our understanding.

Thank God

Father Peter
  • I have noticed in my (Russian Orthodox) church that parents bring children up for Holy Communion who are screaming as though they are being taken to the dentist. I call this Communion aversion therapy since one imagines this is what might happen (aversion).

As far as I can judge and God forgive me if I am wrong, often the parents don't communicate so something is being done to the child  which it quite rightly dislikes.

Father Peter, what is your opinion on this problem?

Please pray for me
  • I would normally expect that any parents bringing their children for communion would also be prepared themselves to receive communion. Otherwise we are surely creating some sort of dissonance, some sort of do what I say not what I do.

Today I communed a small little girl and both her parents, and this is surely as it should be. I have never had to commune a screaming child, thank God. Slightly shy and hesitant perhaps, but never screaming, and I can't recall communing a child without at least one of the parents - from a variety of ethnic backgrounds.

Father Peter
  • Actually, if anyone has better right, it is the child.  They are innocent and lacking in the failures that wrap all of us in our being and sins.