Sunday School Assistance

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,

I was having a brainstorming session with this monk concerning what to do with children who are around 5 to 7 years old.

They seem to be the ones causing the most noise and disruption in the Church.

I suggested that we make them into a Choir and get them involved in the Church. Some lady interjected and said "Im an expert in Sunday School, and I know how Children behave. Children cannot concentrate for more than 10 mins. More than 10 mins, they need to play with something".

I said to her " Well, OK.. but we need a solution for this problem".

At 7 years, I wasn't running around the church causing disruption. I admit, i found it hard to concentrate on the mass, so what our Church did was send us downstairs for hymn lessons during part of the mass. Now, I don't know if that was a good idea.

But if kids cannot concentrate during the entire mass, what should they do? Any ideas?

Should we ask them to sit down quietly and read a book?

Should we tell them to go and play outside or in the Church gardens if they feel a bit restless??

What can we do?

Comments

• she was right, and you are right...

listen... next time you go to church, watch the children, and see what they are doing... see what the "disruptive" children are doing, and see what the quite kids are doing.

I suggested that we make them into a Choir and get them involved in the Church. Some lady interjected and said "Im an expert in Sunday School, and I know how Children behave. Children cannot concentrate for more than 10 mins. More than 10 mins, they need to play with something".

as I wish to speak about the word "expert" in sunday school... but I will leave that for another time... the choir will not make a difference, if boys who are this age and are deacons are causing a ruckus... and the "expert" is right, kids are taught to not have their attention on something for more than ten minutes...

At 7 years, I wasn't running around the church causing disruption. I admit, i found it hard to concentrate on the mass, so what our Church did was send us downstairs for hymn lessons during part of the mass. Now, I don't know if that was a good idea.

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE idea... when kids are outside of the church when they are young they will stay outside of the church when they are old... even if its for a coptic class! WHILE THE SERVICE OF THE LITURGY IS BEING SERVED, THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY OTHER FORM OF SERVICE GOING ON!!! (except if you have more than one liturgy, and the people who are being served with the different service have attended a Liturgy)

now I will try to answer your question... and you will see this in your analysis I asked you should do!

But if kids cannot concentrate during the entire mass, what should they do? Any ideas?

1. have a person of authority stay with them, if it's their parents, or if they respect you, then you...
    2. kids pay attention for no more than 10-15 minutes... so every 5-7 minutes go to them, let them show you where are we in the book, and/or have them sit for 2 -5 minutes. all of these will make them think or re-focus
    3. dont have all of the children sit together in a big portion... except if you have enough people to help you (about 1 to every 5 kids)

(there is much more... but these are the main basic ones)

Should we ask them to sit down quietly and read a book?

no... what you teach a child, you're teaching an adult! have them follow along with the liturgy book... show them where we are, have them follow along word for word... if you don't show them the importance of a liturgy when they are children, as adults they will have a hard not comprehending or understanding the importance of the liturgy.

Should we tell them to go and play outside or in the Church gardens if they feel a bit restless??

NO! NO! NO!... keep them inside the church... and as long as you do what you can, and you pray for them, God will grace you and them with peace... but please get the parents involved, they will not spit out babies and leave them to do whatever they please!

neshkor Allah... akhadna el baraka!
  • Sorry, I mis expressed myself. I'm sorry.

I agree totally, it is a horrible idea having kids go down to a basement during the mass and leave the service. This is wrong. But it wasn't for the mass, it was for the sermon only.

I still think it is wrong. Someone should have translated the sermon, not taken us away so that we are doing something different.

But the worst thing is this - that wasn't when we were 7, it was when we were a bit older.

Anyway, I didnt go with the other kids. My friends and I were all deacons and what kept us occupied during the mass was the hymns. Obviously the vespers was the most interesting part of the day because we could concentrate on all of it because we knew literally all of it.

We need to find something for these kids SuperWham ? But what?
  • I would also add that the major mistake that the Armenian Church has made is by having the kids go to Sunday School during the Liturgy (for convenience).  The children never get used to the Liturgy, become alienated, leave the Church, and then the Church wonders how to get them back.

They learned that from the Episcopalian Church in the United States, as well as other non-helpful items with a destructive long term aspect.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9449.msg116420#msg116420 date=1279029496]
    I would also add that the major mistake that the Armenian Church has made is by having the kids go to Sunday School during the Liturgy (for convenience).  The children never get used to the Liturgy, become alienated, leave the Church, and then the Church wonders how to get them back.

They learned that from the Episcopalian Church in the United States, as well as other non-helpful items with a destructive long term aspect.

Gosh, that's quite extreme. This is not good.

I didn't mean to give you this impression. The deacons would take the kids downstairs and teach them hymns during the sermon. I am dead against this.

But is it true that kid's only have a concentration for 10 mins?

Look, I say their parents should be called in whenever they make a noise - PERIOD.
    So what if they lose concentration? Should they be disruptive??

And sending them to a baby's room is worse. They will think that this room is where they can be disruptive with other disruptive kids. Gosh!!

The aim is for them to grow in respect for the Church - and if we do not do this properly, they will end up growing in disrespect for the Church (which they are already), and we'd have been the cause of this - unwittingly.
  • Keep them in the Church.  Have the older kids, especially the girls, watch the kids.  Girls tend to like to let their motherly instinct come out.
  • My own opinion is that it is better to have young children come in at the Gospel and be helped to engage in the worship for 45-50 minutes, than to expect them to be able to concentrate for 1.5 or 2 or more hours. As they get older and more engaged then they can come in with their parents earlier. But I would suggest that they not be somewhere else playing until they come in - so that the Liturgy appears boring and annoying, but that their mother or father arrive at Church for that time and they come in and engage in the worship for that time.

It is certainly not all children who have this problem. I have had children of 2-4 be relatively quiet throughout the liturgy, and when they reach 7 they have become servers, if boys, and have been given lots to do.

As a priest I would much rather a family came relatively late to Church (not through laziness of course, but if they have a child who finds it very hard to concentrate or be still) and then were all able to engage to some degree, rather than that they came very early and spent the whole liturgy unable to concentrate and causing disruption to others. I never expect silence in any case. But quality is better than quantity - in this case. The priest should also pray for all the children and especially those who find quietness difficult.

For others there seems to be less excuse not to be in Church early.

Father Peter
  • Father Peter, with all due respect I completely disagree with what you are saying. I was raised in the church from a young age and was always taught to come early. If we came at or after the gospel we couldn't take communion. The issue is these days, in my opinion, is that parents aren't raising their children right. They aren't disciplined young and people say no, haram the kid is so young he/she doesn't know any better. Yes! that is true, but how will they know any better if they aren't disciplined? When I was young, all the elders/older people in church had to do was glare at us to stop, and if we didn't we were disciplined. Nowadays, nothing works with these kids cause they weren't disciplined! Obviously, this is an over generalization and there are other factors. But these are my two cents. I post this with much respect to your opinion Father.

Pray for me
  • Both JY and Fr. Peter are correct, in my opinion anyway.

We cannot expect kids to concentrate 2 hours on the mass, and at the same time, we need to make them respect the Church, by not taking it lightly and coming late.

Let's see.

If the kids are > 5 years of age, they should be given some kind of duty to assist in the Church that will keep them occupied, yet focused and respectful of the mass. What can you give them?
  • I don't disagree with your diagnosis, but I am not sure it solves the problem.

The fact that when we were young we acted completely differently is true, but things have unfortunately changed and since we are not completely separated from society around us our children have changed as well. Personally I think many of the problems we face are down to the nature of the highly processed food we eat.

In my own congregation I have rarely had problem children running amok. Many families have come at the beginning of the liturgy and their children have been no more than a little bit fidgety, or have been taken our briefly if they are very young.

But if a child really does have an attention problem, and it is a recognised conditio, then we have to deal with the problem not recall how well behaved we were. As a young boy I was always at my father's side in very many long and (boring for a child) evangelical services. But there are children who cannot, just cannot, sit quietly even when their parents wish they would. I would rather the family came late and were all able to benefit from some of the service, than arrived earlier and were unable to benefit from any of it.

If it is a discipline problem then perhaps the local church could hold proper parenting classes. Or could arrange for older helpers to share out the problem children. But I do believe that there is a physiological problem with this present generation of children which is much more than just lacking discipline and which is caused by the toxic context in which our children are conceived, born and brought up. There is no food in the supermarket which has not been chemically adjusted in some way. Our water supplies are treated with chemicals. The chemicals in the packing of our food is leaching into what we eat.

Most families I know with a problem young child are not lacking discipline, they are often lacking support, and/or they have a child with a psychological condition.

Do feel free to disagree with me, gently. This is not a dogmatic issue, and not one I deal with regularly as I do not have lots of small children in my congregation, and those I have had are usually well behaved. I do not believe that bad behaviour should be excused in Church, but that, as I said, it is better, as far as I can see, for a family to pray together with some degree of harmony for a shorter time, which hopefully increases, than to insist that the family must come for the whole liturgy or nothing, and not be able to attend to any prayer at all.

How old are you? I am 47. I was brought up in another world.

Father Peter
  • What my parents would do was bring me from the beginning of the liturgy, when i become disruptive or i start playing and talking with the other kids, my dad would take me outside and talk to me, and tell me that "we are in the House of God, how show some respect", it was harsh sometimes but it works. When i was 7 i could stay focused the whole liturgy from the beginning. Also, it would be better if you brought your kids from the beginning of the liturgy because in the future they will learn the hymns easier.
  • A 7 year old boy could usefully be a servant and under the care of an older man be given many interesting things to do.

I don't think the children who can concentrate are the issue.

It is the one's who can't, and who are too young to be servants.

I would much rather they remembered Church as a place of welcome than a place they dreaded. So sometimes (I am using the word sometimes) I do think that less is more.

It would be very interesting to have some patristic input on the presence of children in Church.

Father Peter
  • Father Peter,

What Geomike has said is exactly how most of us where raised in church(at least my generation) I'm only 21. lol I'm not saying I would ever be able to raise a child any better than they are being raised, but I see a sort of let the kid be a kid sort of thing and then they end up doing whatever they want. And then when someone such as myself tries to get the kids focused or I tell them to behave themselves in church, I either get completely disregarded or the usual answer is, my daddy/mommy/whoever said i can do what i want. At least from my experience its not because the kids are simply fidgety kids, its a lack of respect for authority and lack of discipline.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=9449.msg116434#msg116434 date=1279040919]
    Father Peter,

What Geomike has said is exactly how most of us where raised in church(at least my generation) I'm only 21. lol I'm not saying I would ever be able to raise a child any better than they are being raised, but I see a sort of let the kid be a kid sort of thing and then they end up doing whatever they want. And then when someone such as myself tries to get the kids focused or I tell them to behave themselves in church, I either get completely disregarded or the usual answer is, my daddy/mommy/whoever said i can do what i want. At least from my experience its not because the kids are simply fidgety kids, its a lack of respect for authority and lack of discipline.

Gentlemen,

Can we focus on the issue here?

Let's be creative:

What duty / service / function can we give kids during the mass?

I am a deacon, and I even find it hard to concentrate at EVERY single second in the mass, especially in Coptic and I have no liturgy book with me.

• Yes jydeacon, i am seeing this is the problem. And I know some kids have mental disorders that don't let them focus, may God have mercy on them I believe they are exempt(just make them take it slower than the other kids i mean), but i think that the kids jydeacon and myself are talking about are the kids who are just spoiled by their parents. Anything they want their parents give it to them, so when they come to church they will get bored and then say to their parents i am going to the bathroom or i am just getting out of here so that they can play with their friends who have done the same thing and are already outside. But if their parents say to them no, they will get attitude and show disrespect. And the servants will not be able to tell them what to do because they think that their parents are the only ones that can tell them what to do because they are spoiled and they were raised with the idea that they can do whatever they want.

To answer Zoxasi's question:

In Sunday school or something you can teach them a little bit about the liturgy like abouna does this and abouna does that and the deacon goes around the altar, So that they will be eager and waiting until it happens in church and they will remain quiet and patient. You can also set up a points system where if you come to church you will get this amount of points and if you are quiet you get this amount of points. If they get like these many points they earn a reward. You can set up something like that, just remember to stop it when they grow a little because they will just come to church for points. Also, if you teach them some of the hymns of the church they will want to come to church on their own.
  • When I was a kid, our priest would do an "instructional" Liturgy every 6-12 months (also as an idea).
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9449.msg116419#msg116419 date=1279027779]
    We need to find something for these kids SuperWham ? But what?

hello, my name is Bishoy (aka on tasbeha.org, SuperMAN✞(BAM)... BAM is fine, Superman is fine... or Bishoy is fine... I'm not SuperWHAM, or superham, just to clarify things  ;))

second, I already mentioned how I have treated this problem before, and it worked for me... but here is what I said, Again!

[quote author=✞SuperMAN✞(BAM)✞ link=topic=9449.msg116418#msg116418 date=1279021882]

1. have a person of authority stay with them, if it's their parents, or if they respect you, then you...
    2. kids pay attention for no more than 10-15 minutes... so every 5-7 minutes go to them, let them show you where are we in the book, and/or have them sit for 2 -5 minutes. all of these will make them think or re-focus
    3. dont have all of the children sit together in a big portion... except if you have enough people to help you (about 1 to every 5 kids)

(there is much more... but these are the main basic ones)

neshkor Allah... akhadna el baraka!
  • Yo BAM,

I was just adding to what you said.

• lol... I'm not saying what I said was the only right answer... just stressing the point that I stated before, because when i read the response it sounds as if I never gave an answer... so just making sure zoxsasi got it, and making sure they know my name...
  • Zoxsasi is in Belgium. 
    They do not speak English. 
    They do not now the difference from a Wham or A BAM.

BTW, I made it to the first page and climbing!  I do not think I will ever reach minagir, but if a computer virus hits his computer, I have a shot.

I think the Admins need to create a separate category for him:  SuperHero.
  • there are some really good points here.
    the first point is that i think it IS everyone's problem.

if u r new to the church, u can just smile at the kids so they know they r included or give them a wave, but once u know the kids (and parents) quite well and the kid sitting near u is noisy, u can ask the parent if they mind u taking the kid round the church to show them 1 or 2 icons and point things out in the mass. most parents i know (i am not one but i have studied lots about child developement and have helped in sunday school) are very grateful for any help.
    it's true to say that in most countries, kids learn not to pay attention, so u can expect it takes some time to teach them otherwise. giving them a Christian book (please, not a book about dinosaurs, cars etc, take the opportunity to show them it's about God!) to read or colour in or a small toy whose job is to 'listen' with them is a good idea for when their attention wanders. if they can read, u could be really organised and put a marker in the Bible for the day's gospel reading and ask them to read 1 or 2 verses when they are fidgeting, so by the end they read the whole gospel for themselves.

in the church i'm moving back to soon, the smaller kids often have a short talk during the sermon given by a (sub)deacon in an annex from where they can see into church, so are not cut off. they have a choice whether to go there (if they find the sermon a bit long) or staying in the main service, listening in to the translation if necessary. kids often come a bit late (eg before the reading of the gospel) and i think it's absolutely fine if a family with kids has to come a bit late, certainly better than not coming at all, although they should try to come earlier as the kids get older.

it's great to get kids to serve. in the church i mentioned there are 2 small boys (5 or less) who love to come right at the beginning and help with serving. every child is different and so should be treated differently. the girls in this church arrange the money collection and bring it to the deacons and they also are responsible for arranging the water after Holy Communion. girls can also take part in a choir, and the older girls can give out books or be in charge of the screen showing the words of the liturgy.

or course, teaching the children about the liturgy is the job of every parent, sunday school teacher and regular church member. how many of u chat to the children after church? how many of their names do u know? what r their interests? in one church i met a 5 yr old boy who didn't know the reason for kneeling in prayer (metania)! it was Good Friday, and no-one had explained about the 400 prostrations and about repentance. i really think by this age a child is perfectly able to understand the basics of us 'saying sorry' to God and God helping us to be 'good'. u can ask the child, 'look, everyone is kneeling down, do u know why we do this?'

u can give kids a job at the start of the service, like counting the number of times we say the Lord's prayer, working out at what times people make the sign of the cross or sit down or stand up, and then explain these points to them later.

to make friends with the kids, simply hang out with them after mass and either join in their games, once they recognise u (and their parents know who u are) or involve them in something they will find interesting (giving out cakes, tidying up etc). always answer their questions, however silly they seem, and also be clear about what is really not allowed (eg, 'sorry u can't eat in the church area because we worship God here, so we don't want to make a mess, why don't u go and see auntie mary, she has some nice cakes')

these are just a few ideas, i'm sure u can come up with lots more, maybe ask the kids in yr church for some, or ask the older kids/teens what would have helped them concentrate in church when they were younger. i think that generally (i have only seen in uk what happens), coptic kids concentrate very well compared to lots of others i have seen, and we should encourage them to continue and be their friends and guide them in the right path.

may God give us wisdom.
  • Ah. It wasn't clear to me at all that we were talking about spoiled children and un-interested parents.

This is surely a matter for the priest to address with the parents in the first place. Parent classes, discussion of acceptable behaviour in the Church, even raising the issue in confession. If the priest does not deal with it then others will spend all their energies trying to keep children amused instead of the real issue being dealt with.

Thankfully I have not had such parents or children in my congregation yet.

Father Peter
  • lol fr. Peter... do you serve Egyptians?... then you get a few parents like that!

BTW, I made it to the first page and climbing!  I do not think I will ever reach minagir, but if a computer virus hits his computer, I have a shot.

LOL... lets create a virus, that will lessen his post count every time he posts! and if they make a superhero title, you'll find me posting left and right to make sure I get that title here too! lol
  • I actually made some virus that restricts you from accessing the internet. It's funny but it's messed up. I deleted it because i was scared that i might infect somebody. LOL
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=9449.msg116456#msg116456 date=1279048074]
    Ah. It wasn't clear to me at all that we were talking about spoiled children and un-interested parents.

This is surely a matter for the priest to address with the parents in the first place. Parent classes, discussion of acceptable behaviour in the Church, even raising the issue in confession. If the priest does not deal with it then others will spend all their energies trying to keep children amused instead of the real issue being dealt with.

Thankfully I have not had such parents or children in my congregation yet.

Father Peter

God must love you a lot  ;D
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=9449.msg116465#msg116465 date=1279050626]
    I actually made some virus that restricts you from accessing the internet. It's funny but it's messed up. I deleted it because i was scared that i might infect somebody. LOL

so remind me never to accept any files from you!
  • God knows I am not very good and can't cope with too many problems, or at least too many more problems.

Father Peter