Evidence!

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Look up Josephus and Antiquities of the Jews. Secondly, why do you need proof? "Blessed are they who believe and yet have not seen.."
  • The Gospels are eyewitness accounts. There are more copies of the Gospels than of any other early books. Most of what we know about most historic ancient figures derives from single manuscripts, we have hundreds of copies of early Gospels, and the earliest show no difference to what we have.

The growth of the Church in the first century is proof of the reality of the Gospel and of Christ. Why would anyone be willing to become a martyr for a fraud? Christ was either mad, bad or the Son of God. If he was mad then why does he sound so sane? If he was bad then why did he do so much good. Therefore he must be who he claimed to be.

Father Peter
  • Christ's existance outside scriptures,watch these 4 part series..

• [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=9445.msg116396#msg116396 date=1278965818]Why would anyone be willing to become a martyr for a fraud? Christ was either mad, bad or the Son of God. If he was mad then why does he sound so sane? If he was bad then why did he do so much good. Therefore he must be who he claimed to be.

I've had trouble appreciating this explanation or proof of Christ... Ofcourse I agree with your quote here, but I am not really sure about this trichotomy, nor do I think is it convincing to non-believers. I found that C.S. Lewis used the same trichotomy as you did, but can you please tell me where I can read something about this trichotomy (of mad, bad or the Son of God), to make sure there is no other option in this case?
  • Eusebius, as a historian, makes specific reference to the Life of Christ as well as in the Gnostic and Canonical Gospels.  So from a historical perspective He Exists.  These facts identify there were real people that lived, talked, ate, and listened to Him.  He is a Person of History.

The issue comes down to whether He is the Son of God, God Himself, the Second Person of the Trinity.  This comes down to faith and in understanding the writings and works by Him.
  • Good question. It fits with the readings of the day

2Pet 1:12-21 [Arabic]

For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth. Yes, I think it is right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you, knowing that shortly I must put off my tent, just as our Lord Jesus Christ showed me. Moreover I will be careful to ensure that you always have a reminder of these things after my decease.
    For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.
    And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
  • There are 24,000 documents supporting the existence of Christ. Compare that to Julius Caesar who has 10, none original and all written after his death. Compare that to socrates, the oldest manuscript we have for him isnt even older than any Christian source, on he only had three sources. Josephus makes two references to Christ, Tacitus and Pliny the Younger, both roman historians and pagan wrote about Christ. There is not a scholar that I know of that will question the existence of Christ, and most scholars are atheist. The assumption that there is no evidence for His existence is absurd. The question of why the Gospels were written after his death is absurd, many historical figures had things written about them after their death, and that is not questioned.

Did/Does Christ exist? A very resounding yes.
  • u r right  :)
    our Jesus is real. 
    He is a historical figure and there is so much evidence to support this. 

if u want to know more about it i recommend listening to www.orthodoxsermons.org go to section called just starting your spiritual life, then a series of six brilliant talks called The Passion of Christ - True or False?.
    also, there is a book called 'Evidence that demands a verdict' by Josh McDowell, which provides an excellent review of much of the evidence.

In Christ
  • He (Jesus Christ) exists!

The issue is whether someone wants to accept Him as:  Savior, God, Son of God, the Second Person of the Trinity, etc.