How to confess ?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hi so I am trying prepare for my first confession and i was wondering how should i prepare? Also when i confess should i be broad or specific when talking about "my sins."

Comments

• Well, it helps if you make a list on paper of all your sins that you have committed and be sorry about them. Bring that list to your confession and tell your FOC about them. Also you should be very specific about your sins, don't try to be vague or so general that you aren't saying exactly what sin u committed. Also, never hold back anything in confession, no matter how bad or embarassing the sin is just say it. Abouna is just a witness before God he's not going to ban u from church or look at you badly for a sin that you committed. As a matter of fact he could lose his priesthood if he did that. Good luck.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=9438.msg116348#msg116348 date=1278796643]
    Well, it helps if you make a list on paper of all your sins that you have committed and be sorry about them. Bring that list to your confession and tell your FOC about them. Also you should be very specific about your sins, don't try to be vague or so general that you aren't saying exactly what sin u committed. Also, never hold back anything in confession, no matter how bad or embarassing the sin is just say it. Abouna is just a witness before God he's not going to ban u from church or look at you badly for a sin that you committed. As a matter of fact he could lose his priesthood if he did that. Good luck.

Forgive me I just wanted to add one thing. I know it is sometimes hard to confess some of our sins in detail so it's ok to be a little vague unintentionally (my FOC told me this). Our God is the God of the heart. if you are truly confessing out of repentance then He will see that on the inside. It's not about putting more detail in our confession, it's more about the repentance.
  • +This is a list of questions we can ask ourselves each night, or when we sit to examine ourself.
    http://groups.google.com/group/stmark_youth/browse_thread/thread/a8009c0d737d5a46/6e740fba346e1b6e
    (once you open the link, click "- Show quoted text -" at the bottom)
    "He who continually goes forth weeping, bearing seed for sowing shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him." -Psalm 126:6
  • [quote author=Dolab link=topic=9438.msg116351#msg116351 date=1278810462]
    [quote author=geomike link=topic=9438.msg116348#msg116348 date=1278796643]
    Well, it helps if you make a list on paper of all your sins that you have committed and be sorry about them. Bring that list to your confession and tell your FOC about them. Also you should be very specific about your sins, don't try to be vague or so general that you aren't saying exactly what sin u committed. Also, never hold back anything in confession, no matter how bad or embarassing the sin is just say it. Abouna is just a witness before God he's not going to ban u from church or look at you badly for a sin that you committed. As a matter of fact he could lose his priesthood if he did that. Good luck.

Forgive me I just wanted to add one thing. I know it is sometimes hard to confess some of our sins in detail so it's ok to be a little vague unintentionally (my FOC told me this). Our God is the God of the heart. if you are truly confessing out of repentance then He will see that on the inside. It's not about putting more detail in our confession, it's more about the repentance.

I agree with you completely, but i find it easier to repent when somebody knows the "exact" sin you are committing. Then you will be so ashamed and embarassed that you will try not to commit just because you can't face that humiliation anymore.
  • i tend to group mine together as it's hard to remember every little thing.
    eg instead of saying, 'monday i shouted at george, tuesday i shouted at my dad, last week i shouted at 3 people at work, 2 weeks ago i shouted at my best friend and 4 people at work and george and my dad and my auntie selwa' etc etc, i say 'i have a problem being kind to people when they pressurize me and i tend to shout'.
    and then move onto the next group, instead of monday i was worried when waiting for the bus, tuesday i was worried the shop would run out of tea, wednesday i was worried i would be late for work, thursday i was worried my dress wasn't nicely ironed enough to go to church etc, i would say 'many times this week i didn't trust God and i became anxious'. then if abouna thinks i need more help in this area, he might ask me for an example, to understand it better.

unless u are not like me and u only actually have a sinful thought once or twice a month, then u can say all of them  ;)

i don't know about everyone else, do u all confess in lots more detail? if i did, it would take a really really long time!
  • i mean like if you said bad words say that, if you were angry say you are angry, never say the name of a person in confession that's a big no-no. But if you stole something don't say "i cheated" or if you lied "i had bad thoughts". I don't mean like so specific that you remember every occassion that u did the sin. If you know you have committed a sin say it.
  • Confession:  "Just do it".  To coin the Nike commercial.

Pray before, reflect, confess, pray again, receive the Holy Eucharist.
  • Thanks, i didn't know how to word it
  • how old are you?
  • If you are talking to me my answer is old enough.

LOL

JK

i am 15.
  • lol thank you... I'm actually asking the poster! but thank you for your kindness in answering me!
  • the poster is 15 too, she's my little sister
  • Hahaha The whole Gad family is here! Oa3bal Thereza!

And no worries Mary, just talk to Abouna Dafe, without holding back and just as you would to a friend. He'll guide you through it, and just let you get comfortable. He's a great guys and will take care of you :)
  • Mary! Just like Peter said, go confess to Abouna Dafe! He's real nice and gives good advice.... he didn't even give me an afa when i told him about my worst sins like i was afraid he would! He was great plus i was pretty much the guinea pig, being the VERY FIRST to confess to him :D.
  • Thereza has and account peter lol

chris.... you got the first confession because i let you!
  • or because i weigh less and run faster!
  • I get my license in a month.... dont get to used to those legs your so proud of ;)
  • time to start using the train!
    ;)
  • ill just have Wafik drive me! you'll NEVER catch me now!