Homosexuality

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Is befriending a homosexual wrong?

Comments

• What do you mean by a homosexual?

Someone who struggles with homosexual temptations or someone who engages with approval in homosexual acts?

God bless

Father Peter
  • Someone who identifies themselves as a homosexual. They are not Coptic. I met them at my high school and was friends with them long before they were this way. I do not want to abandon them like everyone else has. Or should I?
  • Keep the relationship superficial, at least. Show him the appropriate "agape" love of the Gospel (show compassion, do favours he asks etc), but don't "hang out" with him like close knitt friends. And be ready to compassionately tell him, "I don't agree with your lifestyle. I know you don't think you chose your feelings, but I know you are more than your feelings, and you can choose how to act. I know God loves you, and through Jesus you will find a more fulfilling life than the gay lifestyle."

I don't know. I never had much luck with my friend :( And he was very dear to me. And I had to at the end of the day, cut him off. It wounded me for a year. But I have been praying for him, and I will continue to do so. And I think he knows I love him, though I don't agree with his lifestyle. I made that pretty clear. I told him, I will always pray for you.

• I think at that point, when the person has made the choice to be homosexual, it is probably a lost cause.
  • With all respect, I don't agree. There are many people who from experience of sacrificial love from Christians (who upheld the truth!) have came back to faith and chastity. Further, what is the cause? We are not only called to evangelise, and call people to repentance (as important as it is), but to show the love of the Father. I am sure that for many, having shown love by a Christian who didn't not compromise on the truth that sexual immorality is abhorent and seperates you from the love of the Father that you showed them for eternity, many will think twice. Another cause that is helped is they may be reluctant in the future to depict Christians as bigots and hypocrites. Such a negative depiction, I think, has kept many from either going to Church or from confessing their sins, and coming to the light.

Having said that, Ioannes has a point. There is a sort of a chain of events/experiences before "coming out", and a lot of emotional and mental investment in the assuming label of being "gay", and this makes them quite resistant and resilient to any attempts to call them for repentance. Look, they have real deep-seated feelings and thought patterns now, and they feel it derogatory for you to tell them "you choose to be that way", "you are a pevert", "you are not masculine" and the like. So, yes, a rational discussion is probably not going to occur immediately. But they will respond to the your affection and respect, and I reckon that if you are firm in your belief that sexuality is a gift of God to be used within marriage (don't be the Christian who treats adulterers, those who have premarital sex, promiscious people different), then he will be open to such a discussion, even soon. However, I suppose is are you ready for such a discussion? Can you be firm?
  • i agree with clay, don't isolate this person, u can still be friends.
    but keep a chaperone in yr relationship (assuming yr the same gender) eg go out in a group or to a shopping mall or somewhere where there are other people, it's a bit upsetting if yr friend confuses yr motives and starts thinking of u as a potential partner. Jesus ate with prostitutes, but he didn't meet them one to one after dark.