I love church

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I feel like I love church, I love the hymns, the liturgy, the people, all the amazing icons but I dont feel like I love God!

Advice?

Comments

• Ya know, I dont think that is uncommon actually. I think everyone can struggle with that. Is there a particular issue that makes you feel this way?
  • + Maybe God wants to see how faithful you are by putting you in a trial..but then again, noone knows the mind of God...in the Bible it says, "Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you." (james 4:8).
    Keep persisting in seeking God and He will reveal Himself to you.."you will seek Me and find Me if you search for Me with all your heart" (Jeremiah 29:13).
    Never forget God's promises because He fulfills each one.. and never forget God's work in your life, from the smallest things to the big things =)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • great links  :)
    the song is awesome, they are really sweet just like in my church  :D and abounasarecool's second link is very useful and much better than my post, so read that one first.

one of the ways to get closer to God is by meditation (e.g on the Bible, on descriptions of God in the liturgy or agpeya).
    when u 1st start to medidate yr mind may be buzzing and u find u can't concentrate or think constantly (that's meditation) about anything. that's coz yr brain is full of stuff and u spend too much time putting stuff in yr brain (eg TV, talking to friends, computer games), and not enough time processing the stuff so your head can be clear.

in many countries people focus on keeping themselves continually entertained so they don't have to listen to the real stuff going on inside, like fears, doubts etc.
    people go from work to tv to computer game to work to church to friends to work again, without taking a break for prayer and meditation. but it's really important to deal with the inside stuff and not just fill yr mind every waking moment.
    ok, if u have obsessive negative thoughts, like a mental health problem, then they won't go away just by thinking about them and praying about them. that needs professional help. what i'm talking about here is the general buzz of worries and excitements and disappointments that most of us keep pushed down inside us and fail to deal with.

so when 2 corinthians 10 verse 5 says 'we take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ', i don't think u can do this if u are cut off from yr thoughts and just going through the motions. so when u try to meditate on God, actually notice the thoughts that get in the way and deal with them. then u can repent of yr lustful thoughts and rejoice in yr smily thoughts and thank God for the strength to deal with yr worried thoughts. of course  u can't do this all day or you'd walk into a tree and fail all yr exams  ;) i'm suggesting u take some time out every day to meditate and become closer to God.

it could go something like this: God is powerful (i wish i was then i'd smash that kid at school... oops that's not very nice, dear God please forgive my anger and help me to love that kid like u do... ok try again) God created heaven and earth (hmm, He messed up when he created aunt mary, she totally does my head in... oops, Lord u know she really upsets me and i can't bear it, maybe u can help me to talk to someone about that, i'm actually badly upset every time i think of her, so i think i should pray about it and talk to someone for advice... ok, back to meditating)

this is just an example, but i suggest that when u first start meditating u actually deal with the thoughts that get in the way, at least for the first few minutes, and then after that just ignore your thoughts and pray for a few minutes more, so that God is your focus and not youself.

this way it is the real 'you' that is relating to God, not the 'nice you' u try to show to aunties and people at church. i found that when i was really honest with God (not with everyone, they'd freak out!) about my dodgy thoughts and less kind emotions that i was then more sincere in my repentance (and later in my confession).  i then felt closer to God and people told me i looked really calm (that's coz i used to be really stressed out!)

just a thought! hope it helps  :)
  • BIBLE!!!! BIBLE BIBLE BIBLE BIBLE!!

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." [Hebrews 4:12]

"For this commandment which I command you today is not too mysterious for you, nor is it far off. 12 It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will ascend into heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it. “See, I have set before you today life and good, death and evil, in that I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in His ways, and to keep His commandments, His statutes, and His judgments, that you may live and multiply; and the LORD your God will bless you in the land which you go to possess." [Deuteronomy 30:11-16]

"Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You." [Psalm 119:11]

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord." [Colossians 3:16]

"Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth." [John 17:17]