The Trinity

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• This is what i learned from a local priest.... a relationship between 2 beings will always be a sort of selfish relationship, giving and taking between these 2 beings.  Say there is a relationship between 3 beings, their relationship will be "complete" in a way because all 3 can share with each other in the relationship.  But if there is a relationship between 4 or more beings, they might not always be together with each other, sharing the relationship.

I know it seems kind of confusing, but to be honest, the best way to thing about the Mysteries of God is that simply, it is a mystery!

hope i didnt confuse you too much ;D
    please pray for me and my weakness
  • Since Christianity is a revelation from God, and not a human enterprise "religious" quest to find the divine (i.e. other religions), the question "why does there have to" doesn't really make sense. For instance, why do we have DNA to code what characteristics we have, when there could be some other coding system. The thing is, that is just the way it is.

So, any argument of why God is the way He is, is from the nature of its endeavour, going to fall short.

I want to say a few facts first, though.

(1) God revealed Himself in Three Persons.
    (2) The components of what makes man man is also mysterious.
    (3) There are good reasons to believe why God chose to manifest Himself in such a way to humanity.

God, the Father, is the source of all. God, the Son, is what everyone knows the Father by, because the Son (also the Word) is what is "begotten" or loosely said emanated from the Father.

Put it another way, we don't know what is in the mind of a person, except as the person speaks. Take this concept to infinity, and we can see that the Son is what all things know the Father by.

Because God is the creator of time, that is, He is independent of time in His essence or nature, there is no sense that the Son is created at all, since unlike the "mind and though", where one took place before another, this obviously does not occur when there is no time.

The Spirit of God, or the Holy Spirit, we say proceeds from the Father. The same sort of explanation applies here.

The tricky thing for me, I suppose, is trying to delineate between the Father and the Holy Spirit. To me, it is like separating your spirit from your body, which clearly cannot occur, otherwise you are dead- and so a living God, it is only theoretical in trying to distinguish the Father and Son.

I am not a Theological student, so don't take my explanation to heart, but I am sure that is the direction where most explanations what just is, is.

God bless.
  • well, we achieved our salvation through the Trinity. This is why it is important to recognise each person of the Trinity.
  • We can only have relationships with persons. God is not a thing but a Trinity of divine persons with whom we are invited to enter a relationship.

I would say that God is all spirit, indeed God is not any thing we could ever comprehend. He is beyond being. The Holy Spirit is not distinct in His being, since each member of the Holy Trinity shares the same being. But He is distinct in proceeding from the Father and sent by the Son to accomplish the divine will.

Father Peter
  • Wonderful Response Brother Clay

I urge the poster to read the book

the meaning of the Holy Trinity by Fr Abraam. D. Sleman

Glory to The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit. Amen
  • Hello guys,
    The way I was explained the Trinity was take it like WATER, water is present everyday in our life in 3 different forms:
    1) Natural form where it is a LIQUID
    2) Boiled water which becomes VAPER or STEAM
    3) Frozzen water becoms ICE
    Can we say that STEAM or ICE is not water, no, it is a different form of WATER but it is still the same substance.
    Please forgive me if I'm wrong or not right in my explanation but the way it was explained to me makes allot of sens to me. ;D ;)
  • [quote author=kefleyohannes link=topic=9269.msg114755#msg114755 date=1274834206]
    Wonderful Response Brother Clay

I urge the poster to read the book

the meaning of the Holy Trinity by Fr Abraam. D. Sleman

Glory to The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit. Amen

i strongly recommend this books to. The symbolism in this book doesn't only explain the Trinity (of course not in full divine understanding) but also our connection to Him.