Annanias & Safira - Why?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I'd like to talk about the story of Ananias and Safira :

a) what was so bad about what they did that they perished this way?
b) how comes this doesnt happen in our church nowadays?
c) Aaron, in the Old Testament, built an idol after Moses received the 10 commandments, because they couldnt be bothered to wait, they built some gold calf and he wasn't punished for that.

How come?

Comments

• Refer to this topic: http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=5449.0

C.) Aaron and the children of Israel were punished. They spent 40 years in the wilderness because of their sins and none of the original Israelites entered the promised land including Moses and Aaron. They all died in the wilderness, their children and grandchildren are the ones who entered.
  • Annanias and his wife, lived during a time when Our Lord sent his Apostles to build the Church, these were blessed with the presence of Great Saints and matryrs, and the Church was increasing daily in their sight (acts 2:47). The level of honesty and integrity within the Church was so high and so holy the Church was a growing seed which was being nutured in a particular way so it was a disgrace for them to behave as they did....

lets look closely at the Scriptures

the story actually starts in Acts 4:32

Act 4:32  And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and soul: and not one of them said that aught of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.
    Act 4:33  And with great power gave the apostles their witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
    Act 4:34  For neither was there among them any that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
    Act 4:35  and laid them at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto each, according as any one had need.
    Act 4:36  And Joseph, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas (which is, being interpreted, Son of exhortation), a Levite, a man of Cyprus by race,
    Act 4:37  having a field, sold it, and brought the money and laid it at the apostles' feet.

now reading this you get a picture of how the Church was moving forward in holiness, one heart one soul....all things in common....great power....great grace.....non lacked...sharing...caring.....fair....honest... etc

now notice something peculier

just before the couple offered their goods Joseph surnamed barnabas had a field, sold it and brought the money to the apostles feet now read on this is significant then:

Act 5:1  But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
    Act 5:2  and kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

so lets recap it seems that Ananias was trying to imitate Joseph, he was in other words keeping up with mr jones, he did not have the same spiritual level of Joseph clearly because he was perhaps willing only to give fifty percent, whereas Joseph gave all though to keep up with the Jones he said ill give all of it, nobody forced him to say that....and furthermore his wife was privy to the crime, now a good wife may have said ananias be strong and fulfil your oath, do not hold back, or ananas go to Peter and simply tell him that you are sorry but you are not willing to follow the example of the others, this would have been better...surely the Apostle would have given him words of strength and prayed for him..but rather than this he came forward and lied,

this is the price i got for the land he said why did he make an oath which he was not forced to make, simply to look good in front of the crowd and then choose to lie to cover it over....so

Act 5:3  But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thy heart to lie to the Holy Spirit, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
    Act 5:4  While it remained, did it not remain thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thy power? How is it that thou hast conceived this thing in thy heart? thou has not lied unto men, but unto God.

you see this is exactly what the Apostle Peter says  While it remained, did it not remain thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thy power? How is it that thou hast conceived this thing in thy heart? thou has not lied unto men, but unto God WHY ANANIAS WHY?

it was yours to keep, to give half or all of it... though why lie to God, truly satan was making in roads towards the Church

Act 5:5  And Ananias hearing these words fell down and gave up the ghost: and great fear came upon all that heard it.

so he died because he was in some ways a pioneer to corruption within the Church, perhaps God wished to cut his life of sin early...perhaps to save him from later sins we do not know

Act 5:6  And the young men arose and wrapped him round, and they carried him out and buried him.
    Act 5:7  And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.

at this point his wife was already privy to the plot, a co conspirator against the holiness in the early Church, though st Peter attempts to help her by asking directly not simply "How much did you sell it for" but even more directly "have you sold the land for this much?" this is her chance to repent on top of the whole time and three hours since the plot was hatched, though rather than consider why he is asking this question which is for her own good, she is convinced and persuaded she is able to lie to God and to outwit the Church, truly satan convinced her...we read

Act 5:8  And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much. And she said, Yea, for so much.
    Act 5:9  But Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to try the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them that have buried thy husband are at the door, and they shall carry thee out.
    Act 5:10  And she fell down immediately at his feet, and gave up the ghost: and the young men came in and found her dead, and they carried her out and buried her by her husband.
    Act 5:11  And great fear came upon the whole church, and upon all that heard these things.

"you agreed together to try the spirit of the Lord" so she fell dead, and fear came upon the Church, knowing they must not follow the schemes of Satan and must walk very circumspectly not to offend the Holiness of The Lord, now never forget that God can give life and death as he pleases he is creator of all, also the death they experienced does not tell us of their Final resting place as none except God knows the result of the Final Judgement...though what they did was very terrible considering the environment and living experiences and examples they witnessed they took all of this very lightly, their punishment was due.

you ask why we in the Church do not experience such things now, firstly there is no guarantee that we dont, you dont know everything about everyone, and how God judges each individually especially in remote parts of the earth.

I do say to you that although ones punishment for the same sin to day may not have such visible earthly consequences, we are judged worse now because we have had the example of Ananias and Sapphira and we still continue to test and grieve God with such sins time and time again this may have more severe eternal consequences for us then them, we have such examples as a warning, the early Church certainly heeded the warning, though we today may overlook the lessons of the event...

take at least 3 lessons

do not lie to God, do not say God i will give you all my time today, try to be more specific say God i will give you 1 hour in the morning an hour at midday and 2 hours in the evening...and if you cannot then be honest and say God im soory i said i would though i forgot or i betrayed your trust Lord...im sorry forgive me, this is not advised at all but at least your being open

another lesson is do not make promises to God and the Church because so and so is doing it, do NOT play keeping up with the JONES in front of GOD, do not do this, if you must make vows try to make vows which are within your spiritual level, consult father confesser on any vow you plan to make

lastly do not be privy to any conspiracy which aims to decieve God do not join with them, and if you find someone close to you trying to do this persuade them not to and if you cant leave them and if you are asked did so and so do such a thing as he said, tell the truth or beg that you do not have to answer and lie...

Glory to the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. forever amen