Witnessing to Christ

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hey guys,

My Church is planning a prayer meeting to pray for the topic witnessing for Christ. I am looking for sites, sayings of the Fathers, etc. on how to treat the people you are witnessing to, how to talk to them, how to convince ppl at different levels, (ex: Atheist vs Agnostic vs Other Religions etc). I hope to get this information before Saturday, i know its short notice but it was for me too and i really need your help guys. Thanks and God Bless

Pray for me

Comments

• An amazing verse from the Gospel of St. John the Evangelist, as it is repeated in the Third Canonical Hour every day: 

"You are the light of the world.  A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but on a lampstand and it gives light to all who are in the house.  Let your light so shine before all men that they may
    see your good works and glorify your Father who is in the Heavens."

I did not include the verse inclusive of salt since someone may have hypertension and/or heart disease.
  • "Preach the gospel, use words if necessary"
  • Jydeacon, did u make that one up? Its pretty nice. :)

As for the topic, skim through this:
    www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+17&version=NKJV

(verse 15 is a good one, we are here to for a reason, to witness, Jesus wished ro keep us on this earth rather than asking the Father to remove us from this world)
  • No I didn't, but I can't remember who said it. Lol sorry
  • with all due respect guys you did not give me the information i need

i asked for the way to treat the people and talk to them so as not to drive them away into a shell, for example my friends at school upon quote of the bible shut down! If you can give me a site or a sermon or anything that will give me information to talk to such people and take them step by step closer to Christ that would be helpful. as we all know the path to Christ is not a leap. Therefore you cannot quote the bible to someone who isnt willing to listen to it. Therefore i really need anything that will teach me to talk with these people. I did not, nor does this topic ask for verses from the bible. Thanks again guys.
    Pray for me
  • jydeacon, it was saint francis of assisi, around 1200AD in italy
    Christrules, i only have a little time right now but i think the best way is to 'have your conversation seasoned with salt', so mention 'church' when u r asked how was your weekend, mention your prayer life when asked how you are coping with the exams. if God is everywhere in your life, it's natural to talk about Him. eg once a colleague who did something a bit mean had guessed i might be 'religious' and said 'i bet you'll say i won't go to heaven now'. i prayed a bit then said, 'but do you want to? do you think it exists?' which lead onto a short but meaningful discussion about if there is a God. actually his main problem was not thinking there was actually a God, he had to think about that before he talked laughingly and superficially (as he was doing) about being a 'bad' guy and going to hell.
    another eg, instead of saying (i work in a health profession) 'this is bad for you' i say, 'the body is not designed to do this' 'the body is designed like this'. this is more gentle than saying directly 'by the way did you know God made us all for a special purpose?' this gets the message across that there's more to my life than is evident, and gives people the chance to ask more.
    the other way, is of course being a good friend, classmate, colleague, neighbour etc.
    i could go on but have to go and be a good colleague now..!
  • All Copts should visit this website regularly...

http://evangelismcopticorthodox.org/

and should become members of the Coptic Orthodox Evangelism Fellowship of North America even if they do not live in North America.

Victor Beshir is one of the most committed and remarkable Copts I have known, and you should email him if you want advice about evangelism in a Coptic context.

[email protected]

God bless you

Father Peter
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=9176.msg113936#msg113936 date=1272596576]
    "Preach the gospel, use words if necessary"

that quote is from St. John Chrysostom
  • sorry egyboy, maybe st francis was quoting him. i cant tell u his exact words as i no long have his story, thanks for the correction.

father peter, that's a great website, lets all join it  :)
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=9176.msg113936#msg113936 date=1272596576]
    "Preach the gospel, use words if necessary"

Sorry to sound so stupid, but i don't get what this means.
  • it means preach by your actions and if you see people want to hear a word then speak to them..