No one knows the hour - only the Father?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
In the Bible, Christ says "Only the Father knows the hour".

But wouldn't Christ know also the hour?

Thanks

Comments

• The explanation i heard from my priest was to imagine what would have happened if Christ told them that He knew when the Second Coming will be.  It would have been complete chaos! Imagine people coming and going asking Him every second, when will the world end?! when will the world end?!!!... so that's part of the explanation but also I heard that Christ Himself knows when He will come again (obviously because He is God) but that He did not want to reveal His Divinity completely to the people, but rather to show His human nature and His humility.

I hope I helped you somehow

please pray for me and my weakness
  • Hello Zoxsasi,

Allow me to share a link with you of a response that was provided concerning this particular topic previously on these forums:

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=6578.msg87273#msg87273

In Christ,
    childoforthodoxy
  • It's almost like when you ask your teacher something on a test and he says he doesn't know. How can he not know when he's the one who made the test. He obviously knows but he has the right to say "I don't know"; or else, it would be cheating on his part.
  • This topic is discussed in the book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0567089002/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0881412597&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0TJA2XZ8K80HND44Y3WR

It isn't just because he didn't want to tell them, or was just kidding about not knowing.

As we know, Christ was fully Divine and fully human at all times. Neither mingled or changed the other. Because of this, as Christ took on the humanity, and "the word became flesh", (forgive me this is really hard to word)- his Humanity could not become enhanced or changed by His Divinity. Being a person of the Trinity (fully God) he obviously knew the day since the beginning of time. But the word was incarnate and took humanity, he became limited  in using his divinity. Since we cannot say that he knew just because he was divine because we would be undermining his Humanity which, just as the verse says "no one knows except the Father" no humans would know about this day.

Sorry I've probably repeated myself a bunch of times, but to clearly state it:
    Since Christ was fully human along with fully divine, he was in a sense limited to knowing the day because we know his humanity had to stay just that human...and not be enhanced by his Divinity.

I hope I've helped rather than just confused :) Pray for my weakness.