Confession concern...

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Well, I have never confessed.I am now in the process of doing so.I decided to fast before confession.During the 50 days of Easter, we do not fast.Therefore, will the fast not be accepted if I do it?

Thank you

Comments

•     It is a wonderful idea that you have decided to fast before confession in order to better prepare yourself. However, like you said, it would be inappropriate to fast during the Holy 50 days since fasting is not permitted. My advice to you would be to go to confession as soon as you can, and you can even bring this topic up to your priest while you're there.

One thing you should be careful of is the devil might try to convince you to postpone confession until after the 50 days when you can fast. This is an unacceptable solution and simply one of his devices to prevent confession. God accepts repentant sinners in every state and He will accept you, fasting or not.

Pray for me weakness
  • you can do what pope shenouda recommended in his paschal message, during the 50 days, spend more time in prayer (i suggest you could find the time by 'fasting' from tv, computer games etc) and reading the Bible and don't snack between meals, don't fill yourself with rich food.
    so you will not be officially fasting, but you will be exercising some self control, and then you can confess.
    as aiernovi says, confess now! maybe today, don't delay, it's important to do it and then you can fast before confession another time. you will have many opportunities, you should confess regularly  :)
  • thank you for the quick  response.

• wait a sec,

the best way to prepare for confession is to read the Bible: in particular, read Matthew chapter 5.

So, pray before reading the Bible. Ask God to open your eyes as to what you need to confess about.
    Then read Matthew Chapter 5.0 (all of it).
    Then read the passage from the Agpeya concerning the prayer before confession,
    Then confess.

The person that posted before me was correct: it is forbidden (believe it or not) to fast during this period.

Regards