Fr. Lazerus El Antony

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hey guys I'm looking for a documentary about a british(I believe evangilical) who goes and stays with father lazerus el antony for a while. The vid i'm looking for is not however called the last anchorite I believe. That is something else unless they both have the same name, I think this man has his own tv show where he goes and visits different religious regions and see's their practices. I can't remember what its called. This is a clip from the whole thing:

Thanks in advance
Pray for me

Comments

• found it!

http://interruptingthesilence.com/2010/01/23/extreme-pilgrim-a-journey-to-st-anthonys-monastey/

he was an anglican priest who was having doubts about his faith and then went to look for spiritual help in the remote parts of the world. he visited hindus and buddists and then found what he needed in the Christian orthodox monastery. the tv company is a secular one, so they tried to downplay the profound experience of God he had. but is shines through nonetheless.
    the bit about the coptic monastery is from minute 34. it was broadcast in uk in jan 08.
    there is some info about the program here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Pilgrim

i saw it after i decided to join the coptic church but before i actually did. it was one of those many things that gave me a glimpse of what i was about to do. beautiful.
    i hope and pray that anglican and his film crew continue in their spiritual journey and take no rest till they rest in the arms of God and His church.
  • Thanks very much Mabsoota

Pikhristos Aftonf!
  • alithos aftonf!
    sorry i made a mistake with the minutes, it runs from the beginning, the programs about the other faiths were different ones.
  • haha, i think you mean khen omethmi aftonf!

pikhristos aftonf... khen omethmi aftonf (coptic)

ekhristos anesti....alithos anesti (greek)

im sure im just insulting your intelligence, and it's just a typo :P
  • thanks for the correction, i got miseducated!
  • I was wondering if anyone here knew the exact reason why Fr. Lazerus decided to seek God? All i've read are stories that I am not exactly sure on -if they are true. Please, if you have correct information can you post it? Thank you, and God bless! Please pray for me.
  • love that video.. watched it twice, it brings a lot to light. I am debating if I should watch it a third time after seeing this post. Thanks!

PS. somebody is being reallyy obvious.. you know who you are.
  • [quote author=Servant of Jesus Christ link=topic=9087.msg113007#msg113007 date=1270770873]
    I was wondering if anyone here knew the exact reason why Fr. Lazerus decided to seek God? All i've read are stories that I am not exactly sure on -if they are true. Please, if you have correct information can you post it? Thank you, and God bless! Please pray for me.

I had the great blessing of meeting him in the mountains a couple years ago, and prayed possibly the scariest liturgy of my life with him in St Antony's cave.
    One of the monks told me his story when I stayed with him, so here goes...

Apparently, Fr Lazarus was born and raised in Australia and considered himself to be atheist (or maybe agnostic, this often gets lost in translation from Arabic). His mother however, who was very dear to him, was a devout Catholic. So when his mother died, Fr Lazarus attended her funeral in the (Catholic?) church out of love for her, not because of any particular beliefs on his part. Now the story goes that he was devastated by the loss of his mother, but while in the church at the funeral, he heard a voice when he looked at the icon of St Mary that said "I'm her mother, and your mother". This experience completely changed him, and he sought to be a member of the Catholic church (and I think become involved in monasticism, though I can't say for sure). He learnt more about Christianity and decided to join the Coptic Orthodox church when His Holiness the pope (I think) visited Australia, and he went back to Egypt with him where he became a monk in St Antony's monastery, and then eventually became a hermit in the mountains surrounding the monastery.

Sorry I don't know a lot of the exact details of the story, and some of these details may even be a little embellished but that's what I know about his background. The man is truly a blessing...but a very scary one!
    I was lucky enough to spend some time with him in the mountains, I don't mind sharing a story or two if anyone would like but I don't want to bore people particularly.

Hope this is beneficial,
    Matthew
  • [quote author=perfectsinner link=topic=9087.msg113021#msg113021 date=1270780728]

shurrup.
  • Matt, I would love to hear some stories if you are willing to share!

Pray for me
  • [quote author=Servant of Jesus Christ link=topic=9087.msg113007#msg113007 date=1270770873]
    I was wondering if anyone here knew the exact reason why Fr. Lazerus decided to seek God? All i've read are stories that I am not exactly sure on -if they are true. Please, if you have correct information can you post it? Thank you, and God bless! Please pray for me.

Although similar to what Matt posted,I 'd like to share two things the way I heard them:

i) When his mother died, people told him to embrace the Blessed Virgin as his Mother.Then, he looked at an Icon of the Virgin and asked her if what he heard was true. He heard a voice from the Icon of the Virgin telling him that she is his Mother.

ii) When he pushed through the throng  to meet His Holiness Pope Shenouda in Australia, his first words were " I want to become a monk".HH suggested that he goes to a monastery in Egypt immediately, where he ended up at St Anthony's.

Also the makers of a Youtube clip have posted the following introduction on their page:

"From Remigiusz Sowa the director of C13H16CINO, a truly remarkable story of the last Anchorite, Father Lazarus El Anthony, a coptic hermit who has been living in solitude on the Mount Colzim (the mountain of st Anthony's cave, Egypt) for several years. He is Australian and worked as a university lecturer teaching literature and philosophy.He spent about forty-years of his life being an atheist deriving his philosophy from Marxism.After his mother was diagnosed with incurable cancer and died, he abandoned his life in Australia and went in quest of God and freedom. His pilgrimage, brought him ultimately to live as Coptic monk. He met H.H. Pope Shenouda III, who eventually lead him to where he is today".

We can only confirm the truthfulness of the stories we hear,once we have the opportunity to meet and ask him in person.

The Last Anchorite part1
    The Last Anchorite part2
  • [quote author=little moseeba link=topic=9087.msg113035#msg113035 date=1270827919]
    [quote author=perfectsinner link=topic=9087.msg113021#msg113021 date=1270780728]

shurrup.

woooooow... Go change your name to BIG moseeba- it fits you better hahaha
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=9087.msg113039#msg113039 date=1270835066]
    Matt, I would love to hear some stories if you are willing to share!

Pray for me

me too please
  • [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=9087.msg113042#msg113042 date=1270842537]
    [quote author=Servant of Jesus Christ link=topic=9087.msg113007#msg113007 date=1270770873]

Although similar to what Matt posted,I 'd like to share two things the way I heard them:

i) When his mother died, people told him to embrace the Blessed Virgin as his Mother.Then, he looked at an Icon of the Virgin and asked her if what he heard was true. He heard a voice from the Icon of the Virgin telling him that she is his Mother.

ii) When he pushed through the throng  to meet His Holiness Pope Shenouda in Australia, his first words were " I want to become a monk".HH suggested that he goes to a monastery in Egypt immediately, where he ended up at St Anthony's.

Also the makers of a Youtube clip have posted the following introduction on their page:

"From Remigiusz Sowa the director of C13H16CINO, a truly remarkable story of the last Anchorite, Father Lazarus El Anthony, a coptic hermit who has been living in solitude on the Mount Colzim (the mountain of st Anthony's cave, Egypt) for several years. He is Australian and worked as a university lecturer teaching literature and philosophy.He spent about forty-years of his life being an atheist deriving his philosophy from Marxism.After his mother was diagnosed with incurable cancer and died, he abandoned his life in Australia and went in quest of God and freedom. His pilgrimage, brought him ultimately to live as Coptic monk. He met H.H. Pope Shenouda III, who eventually lead him to where he is today".

We can only confirm the truthfulness of the stories we hear,once we have the opportunity to meet and ask him in person.

The Last Anchorite part1
    The Last Anchorite part2

Thank you for clearing up the facts for us.
    I've had a few private messages asking me to share my experience with Fr Lazarus, so I'll briefly reflect on when I met him in the next post. Sorry for my slow replies, but I'll do my best to present my reflection in a way that we can all gain something from.

Matthew
  • Actually.. He first tried to get into the Russian Orthodox church but they rejected him, so he came to the Coptic Orthodox church.

• hey all! Khristos Anestee! i am extremely fortunate to have Fr.Lazarus El Antony telling his own story in an audio recording... whoever is interested Plz PM me you're email, nd im more than willing to share :D
    please pray for me,
    david k.
  • Send it to me! My email is [email protected]. Thanks, and God bless everyone. Please pray for me.
  • I watched the two Youtube selections about him four times today.  I cannot express in words what is racing in my mind out of sheer regard, respect, and love for this man of God.

God truly reaches out to our hearts.  How fortunate we are to be in God's Love.
  • Mabsoota,

I just read your post in this thread.  I am humbled by your words.  It makes me feel even worse for teasing you.

This is one of the most remarkable clips I have ever watched in my life.
  • [quote author=LondonCopt link=topic=9087.msg113033#msg113033 date=1270827472]
    [quote author=Servant of Jesus Christ link=topic=9087.msg113007#msg113007 date=1270770873]

I had the great blessing of meeting him in the mountains a couple years ago, and prayed possibly the scariest liturgy of my life with him in St Antony's cave.
    One of the monks told me his story when I stayed with him, so here goes...

Apparently, Fr Lazarus was born and raised in Australia and considered himself to be atheist (or maybe agnostic, this often gets lost in translation from Arabic). His mother however, who was very dear to him, was a devout Catholic. So when his mother died, Fr Lazarus attended her funeral in the (Catholic?) church out of love for her, not because of any particular beliefs on his part. Now the story goes that he was devastated by the loss of his mother, but while in the church at the funeral, he heard a voice when he looked at the icon of St Mary that said "I'm her mother, and your mother". This experience completely changed him, and he sought to be a member of the Catholic church (and I think become involved in monasticism, though I can't say for sure). He learnt more about Christianity and decided to join the Coptic Orthodox church when His Holiness the pope (I think) visited Australia, and he went back to Egypt with him where he became a monk in St Antony's monastery, and then eventually became a hermit in the mountains surrounding the monastery.

Sorry I don't know a lot of the exact details of the story, and some of these details may even be a little embellished but that's what I know about his background. The man is truly a blessing...but a very scary one!
    I was lucky enough to spend some time with him in the mountains, I don't mind sharing a story or two if anyone would like but I don't want to bore people particularly.

Hope this is beneficial,
    Matthew

I would love to hear some stories!
    I can even share some from what I heard about him this summer in Tanzania (He used to serve there as a monk priest)

In Christ,
    [coptic]Dolab[/coptic]
  • [quote author=Davekallini link=topic=9087.msg113141#msg113141 date=1271030666]

hey all! Khristos Anestee! i am extremely fortunate to have Fr.Lazarus El Antony telling his own story in an audio recording... whoever is interested Plz PM me you're email, nd im more than willing to share :D
    please pray for me,
    david k.

Please share the blessing!
    [email protected]

God Bless!
  • It is because of these saints' prayers that the world survives.
  • Hey

Do any of you know about the 6 part series that Fr Lazerus was doing on the coptic satelite channel CYC (Christian Youth Channel).

I watched part 1 but I didn't have a chance to watch the rest..

Part 1 was really really interesting.. and i'm dying to watch the rest.
    Do you know where I can find it? Does anyone have it?

• LondonCopt,

You were going to tell us all some more about Father Lazerus?

God bless you

Father Peter
  • He was also interviewed by a French journalist in English on Blog Copte but I can't find it. Anyone know what I mean?
  • [quote author=aidan link=topic=9087.msg117447#msg117447 date=1280926919]
    He was also interviewed by a French journalist in English on Blog Copte but I can't find it. Anyone know what I mean?

I think you mean this clip: France 5 : Planète Insolite : Monastère Saint Antoine

It is all in French(french voice-over). I understand a bit, but I will leave it to multi-linguists such as Godislove260  to summerise it for us, if there are any infos we do not know from previous Clips.
  • That's the one! Thanks.

Incidentally, it was another Fr Lazarus, this time of the Russian Orthodox Church (although an Englishman) who influenced Fr Matta El Miskeen (see the preface to Orthodox Prayer Life) in his monasticism. Is this what Matteo89 is referring to when he says the ROChurch rejected him? They wouldn't do that out of hand, there must be more to it.
  • here's another interview in english
    i understand it better!
    http://interruptingthesilence.com/category/asceticism/
    it's great to be inspired by people like him, may God bless him and all the monks who pray for us.
  • I wonder if it would be possible to stay with him a little while, or correspond with him?

Father Peter
  • Hey Fr. Peter,

Fortunatus should be able to answer your question. I let him know about this thread, he should reply to you as soon as he gets the chance.

Pray for me,
    Mansour89