St Peter's Problem - Any contemplations??

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi,

Any one want to share your contemplations on St.Peter as to why denied Christ 3 times?
Right after Christ told him "You WILL deny me"

Anyone want to say anything about that?

Comments

• I think that it was just his initial reaction.. He was scared for his life. I think it was only afterwards that he realised what he had done and connected it to Christ's words... When he repented :D
  • 1. Fulfillment of Christ's prophecy
    2. As mentioned, a reaction of fear possibly to show that no disciple was greater than the other.  During the Holy Passion of Christ, Peter seems to be the most outspoken of the apostles, as well as the most mentioned [He accompanied Jesus up on the mount, He went out and prepared the room for the Last Supper, he chopped off the high priest's servant's ear etc...]  The fact that he denied Christ might imply that even great and chosen men, are susceptible to buckle under the pressure of the devil.  What differentiates him from the others [except John the Beloved] was that he managed to stick around even though he had denied the reason he was sticking around for.
  • Does anyone know where James was during the arrest and trial. We know that James, John and Peter were with Christ.  We also know John stood by Christ on the Cross while Peter was accused of being his disciple because of his accent and he denied that he was with Christ.

What about James?
  • I thought James fled with the others?

I only remember hearing/reading that John stayed because the High Priest knew of him, and Peter followed at a distance.