Genesis 7

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
1. In verses 2 and 3, God instructs Noah to take seven of each clean animal and of the birds, but only two of each unclean animal. Then, in verses 8 and 9, Noah takes two of each animal. Why is there a difference in numbers? Why did God differentiate between the different species?

"You shall take with you seven of each of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female; also seven each of birds of the air, male and female, to keep species alive on the face of the earth." (v. 2-3)

"Of clean animals, of animals that are unclean, of birds, and of everything that creeps on the earth, two by two they went into the ark to Noah, male and female, as God had commanded Noah." (v. 8-9)

2. Is the number, one hundred and fifty, significant at all?

"And the waters prevailed on the earth one hundred and fifty days." (v. 24)

Comments

• Something I have heard(not necessarily sound doctrine) was that, They took 7 clean animals so that they could be able to sacrifice from those while leaving enough to procreate. As for unclean two was sufficient to procreate obviously. The second verse you are referring two just says that they went INTO the ark 2 by 2. Not that only 2 animals from each species went in. does that make sense? I'm not sure if the number is significant in a symbolic sense, it probably just is what it is. That the water was on the earth for 150 days before it receded.
  • ohh... I get it now! thanks :D

... but 7 is not a multiple of 2 so one of the animals would've gone by itself. I realize that this is not a big deal but people use these verses to support their argument that the Bible has some contradictions and so we must be ready to answer their questions.
  • maybe the extra one went in with a 'friend' from another species. like at upper class ballroom dances in europe or similar cultures where dame hartington-smythe (widowed) enters on the arm of lord faulkener (bachelor)
    not that i have attended one!
  • haha... I love your analogies, Mabsoota!!