Genesis 2

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
1. What is the significance of the four rivers, if any, and their characteristics (v. 10-14)?

"A river watering the garden flowed from Eden; from there it was separated into four headwaters. The name of the first is the Pishon; it winds through the entire land of Havilah, where there is gold. (The gold of that land is good; aromatic resin and onyx are also there.) The name of the second river is the Gihon; it winds through the entire land of Cush. The name of the third river is the Tigris; it runs along the east side of Asshur. And the fourth river is the Euphrates."

2. At the time of Adam and Eve's creation, there were no fathers or mothers, it was just the two of them in the beginning. So, is v. 24 Moses' interpretation by the Holy Spirit as he was writing (ie. that he's explaining what happened to put into the context of the time period he was living in)?

"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh."

Comments

• For the 1st Q I don't have answers now..

For 2 it's simpler: it is written,
    For this reason a man WILL leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,

In the special case of Adam it's a rule starting to apply from their next generations, in the near future when their children will marry - just a caution: this does not necessarily imply the next married generation have to ignore their parents.

Some one correct me pls if wrong.

GBU
  • i agree with john s.
    i don't know about the rivers either!
    but keep asking questions marmoura, we are getting educated here
    :)
  • Thank you John and Mabsoota. I'll have to look into that first question though because I'm getting very curious about it!