Marriage Issues

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I have a question about Marriage Conditions that Church allows (its NOT for me! I can ASSURE U!)

Let's say a woman is a widow and has a daughter. Let's say she marries a man a BIT younger than her, and after a while, she dies.

The man can then marry again; but my question is this:

Can the man marry the daughter of his wife. I mean, its not his biological daughter.

Is that allowed in the Church?

Thanks

Comments

• When a man marries, he must go into marriage knowing full well that he is the Priest of the House.

You are responsible for the salvation of your family! Including your daughters, step or not!

Further in marriage the two become one, whats hers is yours and yours her! That includes daughters!

I dont think the church has laws documented on this, cause you must be sick to think of it! Really!

Your Brother in Christ

Bish
    www.stnoufer.wordpress.com
  • in the jewish laws (leviticus 18:8), a man may not take his father's wife. this assumes she was not his mother, and it would also apply to a woman taking her mother;s husband.
    there are several laws (eg about food) that Jesus clearly showed do not apply in our time, and others he made more strict, eg divorce. but there is not evidence that this law has been changed!

on an emotional level, this guy was like her dad at least for a while. so any relationship would not be a relationship of equals, like in a normal marriage. i personally would strongly advise against it as feelings for a father-figure show a need for greater emotional maturity. as for the man, i am sorry but i think he has a real problem if he fancies his 'daughter'. maybe he is still experiencing grief over the loss of his wife and he sees in her daughter a replacement.
    i would advise them both to seek spiritual advice from a priest or servant of the church or older mature Christian who is known for a pure life. i think they need healing from God for their grief and not a relationship with each other based on wrong feelings.

also i am nearly 100% sure it is not allowed in the church.
  • sorry that should be leviticus 18 verse 8.
    the computer uses the symbols : and 8 and ) to make the sunglasses smiley!
  • Mabsoota,

So - if a woman is over 25 and falls in love with a man who is say, 45, that means she is emotionally unstable?

I can understand women who may have not had a close relationship with their fathers and therefore may end up liking older men.

Anyway, I was curious as to the Mosaic/Jewish law. Is there anything in there specifically about this??

Thanks
  • I would like to know if this is a real situation, in which case it should be raised by the people involved with their priest and not in public.

Or if it is just a question, in which case it does not seem at all profitable and I am not sure why it is being asked?

Father Peter
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=8983.msg112116#msg112116 date=1269026062]
    I would like to know if this is a real situation, in which case it should be raised by the people involved with their priest and not in public.

Or if it is just a question, in which case it does not seem at all profitable and I am not sure why it is being asked?

Father Peter

Do you want to know why I'm asking?
  • i think that is what he is asking.

i'm not saying if anyone falls in love with an older person it is emotionally unstable.
    but if you have feelings for someone who was married to your deceased mum, maybe it's to do with grief and lack of maturity. that is, if someone is very mature they would perhaps control their emotions and ask themself if these emotions are appropriate and do they represent grief of some other state of stress.
    eg when we are teenagers we all 'fancy' someone from the tv or our dad's friend, but we don't (or shouldn't!) think of it as a serious potential relationship.
    anyway i will let more knowledgeable people answer further.
  • Well, OK  - thanks Mabsoota.

Why am I asking this then?

OK, let me tell you why I'm asking:

I put this question in the Coptic Orthodox Section of the forum, NOT the Personal/Random section - for a good reason. Because I wanted to know the marriage conditions of the CoC.

And there's a good reason for that. The reason is that I don't know the answer.