What should I do?

edited March 2010 in Personal Issues
Me and my friend were working in lab and my friend accidentally broke the equipment that we were working with. We were so worried about telling the professor especially that we were in open lab and there was no one there except me, my partner, and 2 other friends. Anyway, we got glue and put the broken part together. Now I feel so guilty for not telling anyone about it. It is also somewhat considered my responsibility because we were working with the equipment together when it broke.( but more so his than mine because it was his turn to use it when it broke). When he was using it, I had a feeling that it might break because he wasn't really using it the correct way but i didn't say anything because I though that he had it under control. Anyway, after it broke I tried telling my friend that the right thing to do is to tell someone about it and to take responsibility but he didn't want to do that. Anyway, now i don't know what to do. Can I just confess about it or do i have to go tell the professor about it? please advice me and thanks.

Comments

• The best thing to do is to tell the prof. You'll just get new equipment and most likely pay for the broken equipment (you can split the cost or maybe your partner will cover it all because he was the one handling the equipment). That's the worse that could happen, which really isn't too bad!

Gluing it does not work for several reasons: 1. It could easily break again 2. I'm not sure which chemicals you're using but some can react with the chemicals in the glue to give you bad results (aka. bad grades too) 3. It's dishonest (remember, God's watching, even if no one else is).

As a side note, I'd like to say that confession does absolutely nothing without repentance. By repentance, I mean to regret what one's done and to try to fix it, if possible. For example, if a person steals something and goes to confess, that confession is futile if that person does not repent and return what he/she has stolen.

Good luck.
  • The thing is, I really can't go talk to the professor on my own, the other person has to come with me as well since it wasn't fully my fault.
  • [quote author=ServentofGod link=topic=8927.msg111724#msg111724 date=1268019373]
    The thing is, I really can't go talk to the professor on my own, the other person has to come with me as well since it wasn't fully my fault.

If that's the case, tell the other person that what you guys did was not right and that the professor needs to be told. If they come with you, they come. If not, go to the professor yourself and tell him/her the whole truth and no matter what happens, you will have done the honest, Christian thing to do. But when you approach the other person, make clear to them that you are firm in notifying the professor and imply (you don't have to say this explicitly) that they should be mature enough to accept their fault, take responsibility for their actions, and come with you to notify the professor. As Marmoura said, the worst that will happen is that you'll have to pay what was broken--which the other person can pay for fully or the cost can be split (depending on what it was, it's usually not THAT expensive).
  • It's okay; it is still your lab table. You should still tell.

A couple months ago i broke a glass graduated cylinder in chemistry when i went to make a lab up
    in the morning. The chemistry teacher had said that if you break it, you buy it. So, when the glass broke
    I said very hesitantly "It broke." It was not that I had to buy it, I just had to tell, but i felt intimidated by this
    teacher at the time and it was an accident... The reply: It broke by itself? ... No, I broke it. I didn't have to pay,
    especially because it was a first offense. But telling as immediately as possible helped.

and I know that since
    you didn't break it you don't want to have full responsibility in front of your professor; I wouldn't either.
    You can try "It broke." and "It was an accident" "We will be more careful in the future" to indicate your lab group will
    collectively be careful of procedure, but it sounds like an accident and a first offense (even if the equipment in question is more extensive); telling your professor as soon as possible if your partner doesn't should help because of all of the reasons others posted

+++
  • [quote author=ServentofGod link=topic=8927.msg111717#msg111717 date=1268009831]
    Me and my friend were working in lab and my friend accidentally broke the equipment that we were working with. We were so worried about telling the professor especially that we were in open lab and there was no one there except me, my partner, and 2 other friends. Anyway, we got glue and put the broken part together. Now I feel so guilty for not telling anyone about it. It is also somewhat considered my responsibility because we were working with the equipment together when it broke.( but more so his than mine because it was his turn to use it when it broke). When he was using it, I had a feeling that it might break because he wasn't really using it the correct way but i didn't say anything because I though that he had it under control. Anyway, after it broke I tried telling my friend that the right thing to do is to tell someone about it and to take responsibility but he didn't want to do that. Anyway, now i don't know what to do. Can I just confess about it or do i have to go tell the professor about it? please advice me and thanks.

This is a brilliant opportunity for you. I would pay for the broken piece, and tell your professor about it.

Confessing without admitting the truth to those who you have deceived is not confessing. Even if it costs $100 - pay for it.
  • FYI: each department has a budget in which an accident like you described may be covered. Also, you may have insurance as a student to cover such accident. Keep in mind someone might get hurt using broken equipment.
  • I really want to tell the professor but there is one problem...we glued it together when it broke so i don't know what to tell him about that. He will also be teaching me during the next years, because of the program that i am in, we get the same professors though out the 4 years so that is making it harder on me to tell him. I really don't know how to tell him, please pray for me to do the right thing and that God may touch my friend's heart and make him come with me, that would make things so much easier.
  • [quote author=ServentofGod link=topic=8927.msg111952#msg111952 date=1268702620]
    I really want to tell the professor but there is one problem...we glued it together when it broke so i don't know what to tell him about that. He will also be teaching me during the next years, because of the program that i am in, we get the same professors though out the 4 years so that is making it harder on me to tell him. I really don't know how to tell him, please pray for me to do the right thing and that God may touch my friend's heart and make him come with me, that would make things so much easier.

I am sure your prof will appreciate your honesty if you go and tell him. It's better than the thing breaking again while someone else is using it...and that would be even worse! Just tell the truth...and let him know you actually attempted to fix it by gluing it. God will bless you for being truthful. Tell us how it goes :)
  • Do you think that I could email him about it instead of talking to him face to face because that would make it a bit easier, especially that I am a really shy person.
  • I think it would be okay to mail him too. Of course face to face is better in a lot of cases, but I guess just as long as you let him know somehow, it would still be considered honest on your part.
  • Are you really so worried about this? It seems very trivial to me.

Emmahttp://www.efdesign.net

• i understand it is a little difficult situation.. if it is possible perhaps u cud just tell the professor that u r responsible and that it was an accident and apologise.
    that way you will be honest but also not upset ur friends.  (+perhaps they will see ur goodness and share the responsibility) if not God will see ur good heart and you will be blessed even more, if u do not receive ur reward here on earth one day u will receive a much more precious one in heaven

tc+GB
  • I feel like I really cannot go tell him on my own. I was talking to my friend about it last night, and he said that he will not tell the prof with me because 2 weeks have already passed by. I really regret what happened but I really cannot tell the prof on my own. Will God not forgive me even if I confess it. I have learned my lesson, if this happens again i well be honest from the beginning.
  • bless u =) I am a million percent certain God can forgive this little thing.  I think if u tell ur father of confession and see wot he says all will b well. ur probably more worried about it then ur teacher will b, but if u really cant tell him then make sure nxt time u make a mistake u admit it quickly (i find it makes it much easier  :))
  • Whether you're shy or not, you still must be honest. Go tell your professor that your lab partner and you broke it-- honestly, they won't be mad at you because they will just make you pay for a new one is all. But they will find out some day and they will either trace it back to you or a poor innocent person will be blamed and penalized for what you did.

Even if you don't want to tell the professor, that doesn't matter-- the fact of the matter is that you MUST TELL him. It's that simple.