Law suits etc..

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi everyone,
I was reading in the other thread about gambling/lottery and how the money isnt earned honestly and through hard work. So it made me think what about law suits or things similar; what is the church's view on it? For example, you go into a store you get hurt and you sue the company, this I understand that you deserve since you need the money for treatment and compensation. But lets say you are harassed at work for any reason, or you were racially discrimnated against as a customer. Is it morally right for me to pursue a compensation? What does the church say in regards to that?
I know I mentioned only a few examples, but here in the US and in Europe, it is very easy to file a law suit. Please share your opinion in regards to that matter especially if you know the church rules or have had experience with similar situations.

Comments

• 1 Corinthians 6 speaks out firmly against filing lawsuits against fellow Christians, urging them to take the matter before the Church, not before the secular world.

one could also argue that taking others to court for damages acts in a contrary spirit to what Christ has commanded us in Matthew 5:38-48.

it is not right for others to discriminate against anyone. but the Christian response to hatred is not retaliation, but prayer and grace.

Romans 12 commands us further on being wronged, and on how to respond.
  • There are no specific Church rules or Canons, just the basic guidelines of proper Christian conduct.  Most of the lawsuits are illegitimate sponsored by sharks (i.e., the greedy plaintiff and the blood-sucking trial lawyer supporting the case for their own benefit).  In the U.S. it is as common as brushing your teeth in the morning.
  • So what would be the deciding factor? I mean there are law suits that are completely out of the line, like you said they are sharks that want to get as much money. but what if its a decent law suit? you get fired at work or you arent promoted based on race, religion or ethnicity etc
    Should we just turn the other cheek and let it go or should we try to get some compensation?
  • [quote author=fboutros- God is love link=topic=8918.msg111648#msg111648 date=1267860649]
    So what would be the deciding factor? I mean there are law suits that are completely out of the line, like you said they are sharks that want to get as much money. but what if its a decent law suit? you get fired at work or you arent promoted based on race, religion or ethnicity etc
    Should we just turn the other cheek and let it go or should we try to get some compensation?

it may not seem "fair" by the world's standards, but the best response is to pray about your anger to the Lord, rely on Him, and pray for those who have treated you badly. suing someone will not change the character of their soul or give you a blessing, but relying on God and praying for them will do both.
  • I am not saying that I am suing anyone, I am just saying for example since we were talking about gambling in a different thread.
    But my question is would it be wrong? I dont think the church has any rules against it but lets say you win the law suit, should you give 10% of that money to the church. I mean I would feel bad suing an individual and taking their money but lets assume its a big company and their insurance will cover the compensation for the law suit.
    The reason why I am asking is I see it all around me, people sue big companies over little things and they win. Not because they have a solid case but because the big companies care so much about their reputation that they choose to compensate that person before it usually gets to court.
    Fr Peter hasnt shared his opinion so I was hoping him and many others can tell us what they think about it