An Old Favourite

edited March 2010 in Random Issues
You are my Hiding Place
(by Selah)

Audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=7BlfcTW3__c&v=lfUOLfBFFaU

You are my hiding place
You always fill my heart
With songs of deliverance
Whenever I am afraid
I will trust in You

I will trust in You
Let the weak say
I am strong
In the strength of the Lord

You are my hiding place
You always fill my heart
With songs of deliverance
Whenever I am afraid
I will trust in You

I will trust in You
Let the weak say I am strong
In the strength of the Lord
I will trust in You

Comments

• I'm guessing you're a girl, no older than 15, am I right?
  • Lets have a lesson:
    Lioness= girl
    Lion= boy

It really surprises me that someone who is older than 15 doesn't get that difference.

I pray that you grow in knowledge.
  • lol sodr, u need to calm down with all of ur comments lately.. and lioness, its not that serious lol
  • Well, someone had to teach him a lesson (no pun intended).

:)
  • [quote author=LionessOfGod link=topic=8909.msg111536#msg111536 date=1267657617]
    Lets have a lesson:
    Lioness= girl
    Lion= boy

It really surprises me that someone who is older than 15 doesn't get that difference.

And let's have another lesson:
    Lion ≠ human
    The *suffix* of -ness = girl
    Female lion = cub

I pray that you grow in knowledge as well.
  • [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=8909.msg111582#msg111582 date=1267804507]
    [quote author=LionessOfGod link=topic=8909.msg111536#msg111536 date=1267657617]
    Lets have a lesson:
    Lioness= girl
    Lion= boy

And let's have another lesson:
    Lion ≠ human
    The *suffix* of -ness = girl
    Female lion = cub

I pray that you grow in knowledge as well.

Yes, I see you have just rephrased and repeated what I have written.

It's not appropriate for anyone to ask for gender and age of anyone else because that is not at all relevant to the post and doesn't benefit anything to anyone.

For example, if you did not reveal your age and your gender in your profile, it would be a violation of privacy and a disrespect if I made an ignorant guess on the grounds of this public forum. Equally it would be unnessesary and irrelevant as it is of no benefit or interest to anyone.
  • Well it does rather depend on the post and it can be very relevant indeed.

Everyone can easily find out about me because I am not anonymous, but if someone is providing advice in a difficult or serious matter and is only 14 years old then that could have serious repurcussions. Those who are not married cannot often provide useful advice on marriage - even if they have an opinion. Those who have not struggled to bring up children may not often provide suitable advice. And in many situations a man or boy will have very different experiences to a woman or girl and therefore gender is also a relevant factor in determining if someone's post is valuable or not.

We may all have opinions on everything, but that does not mean that we should share our opinions on every occasion, nor that the fact of our age and gender is irrelevant.

Because we do not often/always know who we are dealing with online, nor even if their profiles reflect any sort of reality, we should be careful and cautious in taking advice, and are wise to determine what experience, age or gender those who offer opinion and advice might have.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=8909.msg111595#msg111595 date=1267822110]
    Well it does rather depend on the post and it can be very relevant indeed.

Tell me Fr. Peter, is it relevant here?
    I was simply sharing an old favourite peice, in what way is my gender and age relevant?
  • I am not quite sure why you or anyone would be so defensive in hiding their age and gender? I must admit to finding all this anonymity rather unsettling since in nearly all my internet activity in forums I tend to just use my name. Being unwilling to relate to one another as we are - to some extent - always unsettles me. And I always find it hard not to be able to address people by the names they were baptised with.

This is only my own idiosyncratic opinion. I know it is not general. But anonymity seems to me to encourage an attitude towards other Christians that a degree of accountability would not allow.

I am a male and 46 years old. My names are Peter Norman Theodore. I was unfortunate enough to have the name Norman in my family - it is my father's name - and we have a tradition that the middle name of the eldest son is the first name of the father. My own son has my name, Peter, as his middle name.

Father Peter
  • LionessofGod and sodr, take it easy, I don't understand what is going on with this forum, you guys need to just swallow your pride. So what if he called you 15? Is it that big of a deal if people think you are younger than you are if you say it makes no difference and is irrelevant.

And sodr, lay off with the negative posts.
  • I agree with what Fr Peter is saying; being annonymous gives us the chance to say things that we wouldnt otherwise say if others know who we are. For me personally, I know this holds true because if people know who I am and where I live, I will be more watchful of what advice/opinion I give.
    Thank you Fr Peter for making it clear and make me realize this fact and as a practical step I will make that info available on my profile whether it matters to others or not.
    My name is Fady Boutros, I am 21 turning 22 very soon

Pray for me
  • Dear Fady,

I am glad to address you by your name.

Let me say that I am not insisting or even suggesting that everyone must or should do the same. And some people are in situations where they want to ask questions which they are embarassed to ask publically, or even which might place them in danger.

But the point you make is what I wanted to say. That when we are anonymous without reason then it does seem to me that we are tempted to respond to others as if they were just anonymous cyber-people instead of as brothers and sisters with baptismal names who are members of the same Christian family as ourselves.

Again I am not saying that anyone should make themselves more fully known than they wish, but there is value in being held to account by being a real person with a real priest and spiritual father. We should exercise the same self-restraint online that we would if we were talking to a real person after the Liturgy. Anonymity is not always a means of encouraging such restraint.

PLEASE DO NOT THINK I WISH EVERYONE TO BECOME NONYMOUS (is that the opposite of anonymous) but if some want to hold themselves to account in such a way then I do not believe it is a bad thing. I have always been public in who I am since I joined Tasbeha, or OCnet, or Coptichymns.

Father Peter
  • Fr Peter,
    I am glad I can address you with your real name :) I completely understand your point of view, I know that you didnt mean for everyone to reveal their identity. But as you said we should feel accountable on this forum the same way we are in our church with real people. Since I have nothing to hide and I am trying to discipline myself even more, I chose to reveal who I am that way I am less tempted to be aggressive or behave inappropriately.
  • me said:

Female lion = cub

I was hoping by this, people wouldn't take my post serious...  srry LionessOfGod :-[
  • Thats OK sodr :) Forgive me also for being defensive, I am actually a really quiet person in reality lol.

Fr. Peter, yes that's well and good and I find that an interesting tradition. You mentioned babtisimal names, my real name is the same name as my baptisimal name.

I did, about a fortnight ago, disable my age and gender distinctions on my profile because I realised that most people did not reveal any information about themselves, even Iqbal and some administrators. So thinking it was the norm, I did it myself. I even started off (a month ago) with my real name as my profile name rather than LionessOfGod and when I saw people using phrases and numbers, I didn't think my name was appropriate to I changed it to Adonijah, an Armenian name, then to LionessOfGod. Ihave already revealed my age in another post previously because it had to do with answering the question... and I think that is a well and good context.

Fady, happy birthday in advance!  :D
  • [quote author=LionessOfGod link=topic=8909.msg111611#msg111611 date=1267825141]
    I am actually a really quiet person in reality lol.

So am I ..