How is gambling bad?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
like betting on a video game or something how is it bad and where in the bible does it say its bad?

Comments

• Proverbs 13:11
    11 Wealth gained by dishonesty will be diminished,
          But he who gathers by labor will increase.

• Proverbs 20:17
    17 Bread gained by deceit is sweet to a man,
          But afterward his mouth will be filled with gravel.
  • how is it deceitful or dishonest though?
  • Proverbs 20:21 (New King James Version)
    21 An inheritance gained hastily at the beginning
         Will not be blessed at the end.

• Simply, you are tempting/testing God.  No different than Satan in His temptation of the Lord on the Mount, asking Him (Our Lord to jump off the parapet--that He [God the Father] would charge angels to catch Him [Our Lord] before he dashed His foot upon a rock.

Moreover, it is playing with the very gifts of sustenance that God bestows us.  If we listen to the Glorious Prayer of the Our Father, one of the central pleas is for 'our daily bread', i.e., our sustenance in all regards (food, inspiration of our souls, and livelihood).

I would say on an even simpler plain, anything that is addictive ushers the sinful state of existence since it detracts from the Presence and dedication to God.
  • many people who gamble are poor, or have poor minds (eg they are desperate for some improvement in their lives and they think money will fulfill their needs).
    so, if you win on an arcade game, you are taking money that these people couldn't afford to throw away, they just threw it in the machine coz they were addicted.
    the same goes for the lottery. big lottery bosses are making heaps (of which a small amount they give to charity, as if giving 0.01% of your income was a big deal), and they are making a huge profit from poor people. isn't this obviously wrong, helping them to oppress the poor and desperate people?
    so these are the answers i give to anyone who says 'i am not addicted, it's just fun.'
    if you are addicted, then it means you find your satisfaction in gambling and not in God. come to God and turn from gambling, and he can fulfill alll your needs according to His riches in glory.
  • As Mabsoota said, you are helping the company take away the money from those who are desperate and in need. Even if you arent addicted and just do it for fun, you are still helping them.
    Plus if you didnt work hard for the money, then it wont feel right spending it. "Easy come easy go"