The Icons Of St. George, Toledo Ohio

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi everyone, I just wanted to share with you my church. On our new website we have a video of all the Icons in our church. The hymns are sung by our Deacons.

www.stgeorgetoledo.com

Hope you enjoy!!!!

Comments

• its beautiful.

is that your voices in the video?
  • wow....very greekish style of icons.....very....
  • The icons are pretty.  They look like a hybrid between byzantine and neo-coptic.  Was the artist given Isaac Fanous' portfolio and asked to emulate? 
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=8880.msg111217#msg111217 date=1267142404]
    The icons are pretty.  They look like a hybrid between byzantine and neo-coptic.  Was the artist given Isaac Fanous' portfolio and asked to emulate? 

i doubt that....they are farther then Isaac's
  • It's not so much Isaac per se, but rather the Neo-Coptic style that he formulated.  If you look closely at certain icons, you can see the influence.
  • The Nativity, Entry into Egypt, the headdress for the Virgin Mary in all of the settings, the Patristic Fathers, etc.
  • The Pantocrator Icon is gorgeous.  The colors and representations are very rich in color.  The lighting seems very nice.
  • i guess i am concentrating more on the colors....
  • The writer of these Icons is Fr. Theodore Jurewicz, a Russian Orthodox priest. He actually let me help write them, well the grapes and poegranets below the icons. He is one of the best in the world actually. You can see the style progress throughout the church. The early ones are very Byzantine, then progress toward more of a Coptic feel. He recently did the dome, it's amazing. That is not me chanting, I am not good enough. I am glad everyone liked them!
  • you are lucky, I keep missing him every time... I love how he combines the Coptic style and the byzantine style... I always set to visit when he's around, but I usually end up missing him by days!

so make sure you tell me whenever he's in town so I can live in your church!

neshkor Allah, akhadna el barka!
  • I am curious as to why the church in Toledo, contracted a Russian priest to do the icons for the church?  Moreover, his motivation for adopting a hybridization with the Neo-Coptic style of Dr. Isaac Fanous?
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=8880.msg111230#msg111230 date=1267151402]
    I am curious as to why the church in Toledo, contracted a Russian priest to do the icons for the church?  Moreover, his motivation for adopting a hybridization with the Neo-Coptic style of Dr. Isaac Fanous?

well, Isaac Fanous' Style, Neo-Coptic, is a mix of Coptic and Byzantine art.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=8880.msg111230#msg111230 date=1267151402]
    I am curious as to why the church in Toledo, contracted a Russian priest to do the icons for the church?  Moreover, his motivation for adopting a hybridization with the Neo-Coptic style of Dr. Isaac Fanous?

because he is one of the best. His later icons are much more Coptic.
  • as ioannes says, "he's the best"

this guy almost gives me a heart-attack from his work...

here is an idea of some of his work!

Mina, he was asked to write the icons of the church, but he was told to write it in coptic... hence why the byzantine hand (style) writing Coptic...

He's just phenomenal!

neshkor Allah, akhadna el baraka!
  • The Church of Toledo is soooooo blessed. When you stand there surrounded by all those icons you truly feel like you're in Heaven. If you also Concentrate on each Icon you'll see many testimonies and prophecies from the old testament as well as a sense of Humor and creativity. I pray to see father Theodore before I leave, he's truly blessed. May God always be glorified.

Please pray for me
    In Christ
  • [quote author=SaintaMaria05 link=topic=8880.msg111242#msg111242 date=1267155654]
    The Church of Toledo is soooooo blessed. When you stand there surrounded by all those icons you truly feel like you're in Heaven. If you also Concentrate on each Icon you'll see many testimonies and prophecies from the old testament as well as a sense of Humor and creativity. I pray to see father Theodore before I leave, he's truly blessed. May God always be glorified.

Please pray for me
    In Christ

Thank you very much for that lovely compliment! God has truly blessed this congregation with many things. There is somewhat of a miracle that happend once the church was built. There was a discussion as to have or not have pews. It was decided to have pews. There were many problems in getting the pews and eventually we could not get any because it was too expensive. Amazingly enough a few weeks later as the finishing touches were being done so that we could celebrate liturgy we had an anonymous delivery of pews, just enough to fit in the Church. Quite amazing. The first time I went there, as a non-Orthodox, I knew I was finally home.

BTW SuperMan where is that church? Is that Fr. Theodore?
  • New Gracanica Monastery, yes these are by father Theodore Jurewicz, it took him three years...
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=8880.msg111247#msg111247 date=1267162361]
    New Gracanica Monastery, yes these are by father Theodore Jurewicz, it took him three years...

That does not suprise me, I have never seen anyone able to work as fast as him with that skill level. An amazing human. Fr. Seraphim Rose mentions him in one of his letters published in Fr Seraphims biography. Fr Theodore actually knew him, I ask him all the time to tell me about Fr Seraphim. Fr Theodore is such a fun guy.