Bored.

edited February 2010 in Random Issues
No matter how busy my day is, I find time to be bored, especially at night because its so quiet. I don't like feeling bored.

I recently moved to another state, so I don't have any friends here and I take my time to make friends because I don't want to make the wrong decisions.

I do read the Bible and pray the Agpia and read immensly but after that I'm bored again, then I end up cleaning my room, then I'm bored again. What do ya'll do to get out of this state? (No pun intended).

Comments

• [quote author=Adonijah link=topic=8853.msg110948#msg110948 date=1266585493]
    No matter how busy my day is, I find time to be bored, especially at night because its so quiet. I don't like feeling bored.

I recently moved to another state, so I don't have any friends here and I take my time to make friends because I don't want to make the wrong decisions.

I do read the Bible and pray the Agpia and read immensly but after that I'm bored again, then I end up cleaning my room, then I'm bored again. What do ya'll do to get out of this state? (No pun intended).

Hi,

Yes, I am very careful in choosing the right friends. But how old are you?

Do you play sports?

I used to take swimming very seriously, and won several competitions at a national level - doing sport really kept my mind busy.

Do you like cooking? I can cook and i like to experiment sometimes. Why, just a few weeks ago, I made for my friends in NYC a 3 course meal:

Avocats aux crevettes,
    Coq au vin 
    followed with peche melba desert at the end.

if you don't have any friends, just eat it yourself.

Its really nice to make. The hardest part in all this was the sauce.

Do you have gym membership?

Why don't you learn a foreign language? I speak French , English, Portuguese, and I'm learning Italian and Spanish. My english isn't great, I know, but it is the reason why i go to tasbeha.org. My english has really improved since coming here.

I do the same for Italian. I go to Italian forums and practice with them.

What hobbies do you have??
  • If you are in the vicinity of your church, find out from the priest if there are any elderly that need rides or even visitation.

The elderly are desperate for anyone to reach out to them.

There are generally very few, if any, activities for the elderly in our community.  Everything is geared for the youth.

You may be surprised at what you learn.  You may learn quite a bit about your heritage.  You may even learn a bit about yourself.
    You may even find soul for your life.

Sorry, I can't relate otherwise--always too busy.  An idle mind is the devil's workshop.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=8853.msg110963#msg110963 date=1266607947]
    If you are in the vicinity of your church, find out from the priest if there are any elderly that need rides or even visitation.

The elderly are desperate for anyone to reach out to them.

There are generally very few, if any, activities for the elderly in our community.  Everything is geared for the youth.

You may be surprised at what you learn.  You may learn quite a bit about your heritage.  You may even learn a bit about yourself.
    You may even find soul for your life.

Sorry, I can't relate otherwise--always too busy.  An idle mind is the devil's workshop.

Brilliant post Mark,

I agree. Voluntary work is the most obvious and most essential way to make the most of your time.

I used to do a LOT of work for the homeless before. Its great fun by the way.
  • God is amazing... I use to have the same thing!

before my schedule only had school... when God saw it right for me to handle school and something else... He added work... then He added volunteer work...  that some weeks I don't have time to even sit and write an icon or a book, or do whatever... let alone sleep

God likes to take it easy with you, shewya shewya... but I'll tell you what, through my "free" time, I always told God I can do something... so I would sit and write, or Ill think of a new service... I always had a project going, even now, I sit and write ideas... I have to over work my mind and body, so that when God comes and tells me what positive did you do in such and such minute... I would have an answer!

think of how you will be judged for every sing idle minute you waste... believe me I wasted too many already, I will be judged for that... you will start feeling guilty when you waste one minute... so now I always have a set note of what i need to finish through the day, and if I catch myself resting without positive outcome, I become very upset with myself...

does that mean I don't watch tv? does that mean I don't talk to people? does that mean I don't post on tasbeha? etc... I'm familiar with almost every show on tv... one of the most talkative people, and very outgoing... lol and I'm one of the top posters here!

but when I do all of these things, am I profiting from what I'm doing? so when I watch tv, I have to have a broad view of whats going on, and watch shows about almost everything... but see how what you just sponged, how you can "squeeze" out into serving God... if you talk to a person, see how you talking to that person will make the BOTH of you coming out of the conversation praising God! so you can do random everyday things as long as you use it for God's name!

and again as I always say PM me if you want something to do... lol I always have something for people to do... I have too many projects!

explore and find you talent!

neshkor Allah... akhadna el baraka...
  • CertifiedOrthodox, I'm 21, I play basketball, but because I am bored mainly during the night, I have a small play one in my room... there are not much other sports that can be played at night... and if there were, there are not much friends who'd join me because I don't have any, same goes for going to the gym.

I do cook alot but there is not much I can do after 7pm- 11pm. This is where my main bordem is. Other intervals of bordem throughout the day I curb very easily, but its that 7pm- 11pm I get extremely bored. Although learning a new language is a good way to deal with it, its not my thing.

When I was in my other state, I would spend this time preparing sunday school for that week, calling my friends and chatting to them, going to church for the choir lessons, going to youth meetings and youth outings and coming up with ideas in youth meetings, but because I came here in an emergency, I lost all of that, and the closest church to here is literally 2 hrs away. Back there, my church was 4 minutes away by car.

I have several other hobbies: Long stitch, singing, reading and cars.

The thing is ilovestmark is that I am bound to public transport until I get my lisence trasferred and validated to this state, so I am limited in this area and can't do as much voluntary work until the issue with my lisence is sorted. And again its the period between 7pm- 11pm that I can't curb. I do agree though, and idle mind is the devil's workshop which is why I came here.

SuperMan, I always feel guilty when I am bored too. I already know my talents but my situation right now leaves me at a diservice and I don't know what to do until I am that busy busy girl I was when I was at my previous location. What kind of porjects do you do? Are they church related?

• I don't know what long stitch is, but have you thought of cross stitch.  Maybe doing a pattern of the Coptic Crosses from the middle ages would be nice as a project, or evn a saint.

I believe that would swallow a heap of time.

How about learning some Alhan? or Tasbeha?  There are a lot of resources on this website.
  • That sounds good.

Long stitch is like cross stitch, but instead of crossing the thread, it is not crossed, just going in one direction. (like this- http://z.about.com/d/needlepoint/1/0/0/3/-/-/Long_Stitch.jpg) I guess it would be cool to design a beautiful cross on a canvas and work at it!

And I guess it wouldn't hurt if I learnt a couple of doxologies off by heart...

Problem solved! Thanks
  • hat kind of porjects do you do? Are they church related?

yes all of the projects ARE church related... except if you want one that isn't, which I've been doing research for a relationships book... which I started a few years back, and stopped, but today I was talking to a few friends and they really wanted me to restart back on it, once we talked about relationships and I said some statistics... so I have all kinds of projects!

neshkor Allah... akhadna el baraka!
  • Cool, I'll be happy to help out on one of my boredom streaks, something I can do online though, as I live in Australia... And I'm happy to work on church related ones.
    God bless your services...

• nakhod el baraka...