Psacha Psalms

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
So i know Ke-Perto but i have never actually done a pashcha psalms.. is there a trick to doing it? and tips?

Comments

• [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=8855.msg111003#msg111003 date=1266701526]
    So i know Ke-Perto but i have never actually done a pashcha psalms.. is there a trick to doing it? and tips?

exactly the same except there is no "Alleluia" in between ke-eperto so a small part is cut in the psalm.
    actually, ke-eperto is like the gospel response in the Greek church.....couple of days ago i found it in greek.....
  • yeah its the same exact tune as ke-eperto except the words are obvoiously different and we say alleluia. if you haven't sang one before, just open your pascha book to a random hour and practice with that psalm. there really is no right or wrong way for each psalm because you can split up each verse differently. for your first time, you should probably split up the psalm in half with another person (parts 1 and 2 one person and 3 and 4 another person). after the first year, you will get it. its not that hard really.
  • allright thanks guys :D

ps: mina do you have a link to the greek one?
  • [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=8855.msg111021#msg111021 date=1266758055]
    allright thanks guys :D

ps: mina do you have a link to the greek one?

no..not really. also i didn't listen to audio, i just so the text randomly somewhere
  • There is a defined metre.  I disagree with the previous cadets.  Specifically, you have to watch for the break points relative to the colon mark (an ending of the "estikona", in english--the quartet phrase).

Moreover, don't do it in any of the vernaculars, it sounds goofy.  Stick to the Coptic.  We are the Coptic Orthodox Church.

You should choose a particular word of contemplation.  That is the purpose of the melodic extended notes; to give a time of contemplation on a particular word or phrase.  That does require some knowledge of Coptic.  It should be prepared, but most times in the churches it is ad hoc.  Most of the time it is quite painful to hear.  I love the Holy Pascha, but I get turned off by the coarse chanting and off-key chanting.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=8855.msg111045#msg111045 date=1266802422]
    There is a defined metre.  I disagree with the previous cadets.  Specifically, you have to watch for the break points relative to the colon mark (an ending of the "estikona", in english--the quartet phrase).

Moreover, don't do it in any of the vernaculars, it sounds goofy.  Stick to the Coptic.  We are the Coptic Orthodox Church.

You should choose a particular word of contemplation.  That is the purpose of the melodic extended notes; to give a time of contemplation on a particular word or phrase.  That does require some knowledge of Coptic.  It should be prepared, but most times in the churches it is ad hoc.  Most of the time it is quite painful to hear.  I love the Holy Pascha, but I get turned off by the coarse chanting and off-key chanting.

yea i am not a big fan of the vernacular either. But i just went through every psalm and marked the words to hold :D
  • do it with ramez or something. i did it with ramez my first time :D
  • When you do the long part of the hymn (exio) try to do it on a word like Ephnouti or something important not like Khen or Nem stuff like that good luck and remember you aren't saying the psalm

You are PRAYING IT

God Bless
  • thanks guys :D
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=8855.msg111004#msg111004 date=1266703222]
    [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=8855.msg111003#msg111003 date=1266701526]

exactly the same except there is no "Alleluia" in between ke-eperto so a small part is cut in the psalm.
    actually, ke-eperto is like the gospel response in the Greek church.....couple of days ago i found it in greek.....

Wow, I didn't know that. The words are actually Greek, not Coptic....hmm, I wonder if perhaps we borrowed the words, but then, how old is the tune for it and where did we get it from?.....interesting!
  • The tunes for the most part in our church, are coptic/pharaonic, However some hymns are both greek in words and in tunes. Eparthenos, Ton sina, Tolitho to name a few.
  • Agios, Tolithos, Ekhristos Anesty, Omonogenees
    lol
    just wanted to share some more
  • that's not what I meant-- I was talking about the tune, not really the words. The ones jydeacon mentioned are in fact greek in tune. I was just wondering if anyone knew how old the tune of ke eperto is and its history if anyone knew--but maybe not.
  • No one knows exactly and per se how old the tune is, however, it is inferred to be from the pharaonic times.  The tunes were adapted from their pagan origins and conjoined with the new Christian words and meanings.
  • first, Omonogenees is written in Greek but it is coptic. 2 teachings: Saint Athanasius the Apostolic wrote it or Saint Severus of Antioch.

the reason for this "pharaonic-like" tune is that Pharaohs, or the ancient Egyptian old religions on general always believed that there was good in death; going somewhere better or reincarnated in a better stronger being. So their songs always mixed festive tunes with sad ones....similar to many of our hymns in holy week.
  • OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
    THAT HURT
    jk
    thanks for the info i will make sure to get my facts straight, thanks for correcting me