Hymn after Gospel reading

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hello,

First time post- great forum!

What is the name of the hymn that is chanted immediately after the Gospel reading (when the deacons are still sitting)?

Thanks!

Comments

• The deacons should never be sitting while chanting. I hope you mean as they get up to chant after the sermon. It changes from season to season. Annual is Oniatio, Kiahk changes from the first 2 weeks, to second two. Lent is Je peniout on Sundays and Ti-hirini on weekdays. There are a few other gospel responses as i said they change from season to season(not only words but the tune as well)
  • Thanks.

Actually I noticed at my Church that the first part of the hymn is chanted when the deacons are still sitting (this always struck me), they only stand up towards the end.

Does anyone know where I can find the Oniatio hymn online?  Can't seem to find it on Tasbeha.org

Thank you.
  • [quote author=activision link=topic=8846.msg110985#msg110985 date=1266624086]
    Thanks.

Actually I noticed at my Church that the first part of the hymn is chanted when the deacons are still sitting (this always struck me), they only stand up towards the end.

Does anyone know where I can find the Oniatio hymn online?  Can't seem to find it on Tasbeha.org

Thank you.

that is not a big deal....that is if there WAS a sermon where they were sitting. so they continue sitting until the deacons say ensofeia where the stand up to emphasize the importance of the Creed.
  • No Mina - they don't emphasise the importance of the Creed. They should always stand up when they are singing any hymn as jydeacon said. It is just some laziness that they don't. What if abouna chooses to pray the three long litanies instead of going straight to [coptic]en sovia[/coptic]?
    Remember that in the olden days churches never had pews or chairs at all. The clergy and congregation were expected to use their bodies in standing up and kneeling down for prostrations ([coptic]nimetanoi`a[/coptic]) during the whole Mass. It's just a new thing in the churches to accommodate older people that pews and chairs are used.
    [coptic]oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=8846.msg110996#msg110996 date=1266676118]
    No Mina - they don't emphasise the importance of the Creed. They should always stand up when they are singing any hymn as jydeacon said. It is just some laziness that they don't. What if abouna chooses to pray the three long litanies instead of going straight to [coptic]en sovia[/coptic]?
    Remember that in the olden days churches never had pews or chairs at all. The clergy and congregation were expected to use their bodies in standing up and kneeling down for prostrations ([coptic]nimetanoi`a[/coptic]) during the whole Mass. It's just a new thing in the churches to accommodate older people that pews and chairs are used.

I agree completely with this, I've never understood the reasoning behind this practice. I suppose if we're emphasising the importance of certain prayers, then we should stay seated until the deacon says "[coptic]Epi `proceu,y `cta;yte[/coptic]" ("stand up for prayer")?
    There's just something that strikes me as uncomfortable in staying seated during the Gospel response.

Matthew
  • Thanks Matt; you are right - how can we justify standing up for [coptic]taisoury [/coptic]for example and not be seated after abouna raises the incense around the church and continue to the [coptic]hiten [/coptic]verses, and after the GOSPEL, we don't stand up to say Jesus Christ has risen from the dead, or Jesus Christ was born in Bethlehem, our Father who art in heaven or even happy are those the saints of this day. I am not implying that the Gospel is more important than the Acts or the Pauline, but it should be given more reverence if not equal. That is another inappropriate practice I guess...
  • I am just drawing this conclusion based on practice i seen. more specifically, that is still need to 100% confirm, i saw a liturgy recorded by Anba Youannis and Anba Armia in Ard El-golf church......and that's what they did.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=8846.msg111001#msg111001 date=1266691733]
    I am just drawing this conclusion based on practice i seen. more specifically, that is still need to 100% confirm, i saw a liturgy recorded by Anba Youannis and Anba Armia in Ard El-golf church......and that's what they did.

Yes it does happen, and I used to do the same myself until quite recently. To be honest, it's not that big a deal really but just a curious observation more than anything. It's interesting to look at this from the context of the deacon responses that tell us to stand up (stand up for prayer, stand in fear of God and listen to the Holy Gospel, you who are seated stand etc.). I've seen people sit down before the Absolution (Sotees Amen) and wondered why.

I just wonder...will we be seated or standing in heaven?  ;D
  • Well....don't get me wrong.....i still believe we must stand up all the time, no matter what in anything that is chanted. Ya3ny if we are "playing the strings of our hearts", as anba youannis likes to say all the time, TO GOD, we should atleast stand up.

If you think about it, of you are really into prayer and with God in liturgy, either through hymns or prayers...etc, you don't feel your feet to actually get tired....actually that's how i personally know if i am enjoying the liturgy and really praying.