new songs

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hi,
We all like the traditional hymns and songs we were taught since we were kids but right now I feel like it is time to discover some new songs..
I mean even though with all the beauty of coptic, greek, latin etc hymns...I am looking for something in english that is modern. I have not heard anything new for ages!!!
How come is it for normal non spiritual songs every month there are tonnes of new songs while when it comes to this..only through coincidence I come across a new spiritual song/hymn

so does anyone have new songs to share with me and others?  an mp3 file with/without lyrics or any link would make my day!! but just posting lyrics with no music does not help lol  so please feel free!!!
Thank you!

Comments

• thekingofpeace.weebly.com and click on spiritual songs 1
  • try seeing orthodoxsongs.org...they have some modern stuff =]
  • A very belated thank you!!!

I just managed to go through them all!

Any more suggestions?
  • I'm sorry, but using "spiritual songs" and "hymns" written by heretics (Protestants) goes against the teachings of the Orthodox Christian faith.

If that's not what you are doing, and I am misunderstanding you, then please clarify.
  • [quote author=Severian link=topic=8843.msg160113#msg160113 date=1348469801]
    I'm sorry, but using "spiritual songs" and "hymns" written by heretics (Protestants) goes against the teachings of the Orthodox Christian faith.

If that's not what you are doing, and I am misunderstanding you, then please clarify.

I think it depends what you mean by "using", Severian.

• This is a hymn request thread, I'm not and do not plan on getting into theological arguments
  • yes:
    http://www.orthodoxsongs.org/
    is a good website.

i also don't advice using protestant (heterodox, not usually heretical) songs, as they put a different emphasis on how to life the Christian life, and are often comfort seeking or fleeing from suffering.
    it's true that accepting suffering and seeking spiritual, not material riches will bring true joy.

but it's also true that there are not many orthodox songs which fit into a west european (or european-influenced) musical culture.
    i am not advocating we write Christian songs to the zombie-type heavy rock beats (we pray with our MINDS and our spirits) nor to happy clappy guitar melodies (it is not the 1980s)  :P
    but there is a gap in our churches where there needs to be
    GOOD ORTHODOX SONGS!

eg. something like a paraphrase of 'in the midst of the raging sea' in good english, with a simpler tune (not 6 notes in the singing of se-ee-ee-ee-ee-ea) which sounds less arabic.
    personally, i love the egyptian and arabic influences in coptic church music, but most of my non coptic friends don't! and they need to learn more about God, and songs will help this.
    :)

so if anyone wants to write any new songs, please fast, pray and then go ahead and share them with your priest and then bring them here. i have tried song writing, but mine are not even good enough to sing in the shower  ;) so i am asking you all to help!