El Eklerikiya

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Sooo most of my family in egypt has gone to el eklerikeya in egypt and i feel left out... who do i talk to about opening an american branch!?

Comments

• Well, where do you live? They do have Eklirikeya in some areas in of America, I think they had (and I think they still have one in NJ).... Ask your priest, he should know if there is anything in your area.
  • sorry, whats the el eklerikiya?
  • Yes, what is it.
  • It refers to the Clerical College.
  • Seminary.

There is one NJ (Cedar Grove), Texas, and California.
  • I also believe there's one in Australia, that offers courses by correspondence. 

I'm not too sure about the details, but what I heard is that you get the material, you study it by a certain date, and then they send the exam to your local parish priest [who kinda serves as your sponsor] who basically proctors over you as you take it, and sends it back to them.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=8783.msg110164#msg110164 date=1265593693]
    Seminary.

any more info on them?
  • Actually, the one in Cedar Grove I think was moved to East Brunswick, but I haven't heard much about it recently.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=8783.msg110164#msg110164 date=1265593693]
    Seminary.

the thing is that they are not as broad and big as the one in Cairo and all it's other branch in egypt cities......
  • I go to the seminary in Texas and very much enjoy it. The classes meet twice a year at the monastery and then exams are taken at your church and proctored by your local priest. Here's their website: http://www.suscopts.org/seminary/. If you have any questions, just ask.

• I'd really like to go there one day.. what are the requirements?
  • 1.  A complete application  form.
    2. A personal statement up to 750 words outlining any services you are currently performing in your church and your reasons for wanting to attend the Theological Enrichment Program. A typewritten report is preferred.
    3. A recommendation letter. Forms are available at your church or can be downloaded here and should be filled CONFIDENTIALLY by your church priest and sent by the priest directly to the Associate Dean for Students Affair.
    4. A copy of the highest degree attained but not less than a certificate of high school completion.

This application process will determine whether or not the candidate is accepted into the program. Applications should be submitted by May 1 (for the Spring Semester) and August 1 (for the Fall Semester). Applications may be accepted after that date depending on space availability.
  • Now i have a question along the same lines, what about the eklirikeya in egypt that studies not only theology but hymnology etc, and what about the Higher Institute of Coptic Studies and the institute of St. Dydimus the Blind?? im looking into joining something like that after i ifinish my education

Pray for me
  • [quote author=christ_rose link=topic=8783.msg110199#msg110199 date=1265659085]
    Now i have a question along the same lines, what about the eklirikeya in egypt that studies not only theology but hymnology etc, and what about the Higher Institute of Coptic Studies and the institute of St. Dydimus the Blind?? im looking into joining something like that after i ifinish my education

Pray for me

the eklirikia is more like a school system. 4 classes, 3 credits each = 12 credits.

On the other hand, the Higher Institute of Coptic Studies have different studies. Hymnology, theology and many other specific studies. When you go there for knowledge you choose one or multiple studies of those.

What is know though is that the eklerkeia always brings out priests....especially the one in Cairo.
  • I checked the site for the seminary in texas and they only have one course in hymnology, i was looking for something more complex. So is there a place in the US where you can study hymns like the didymus and HICS in egypt? Or will i have to move to canada and find albair?
  • Abanoub, I don't know where you live but if you're looking for a place to just learn and study hymns you can take a look at the seraphim chorus under Bishop David located in Cedar Grove, NJ - www.seraphimchorus.com - and there's also the Coptic Heritage in Canada - www.copticheritage.org

Edit: I forgot to mention, these are not seminary programs at all - they focus solely on the preservation of the hymns
  • [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=8783.msg110231#msg110231 date=1265720446]
    I checked the site for the seminary in texas and they only have one course in hymnology, i was looking for something more complex. So is there a place in the US where you can study hymns like the didymus and HICS in egypt? Or will i have to move to canada and find albair?

right not the diocese is hosting it's first ever Life of Praise Convention. It will be held somewhere in summer county. It is solely for alhan and rites and.....this is rhe good part, m. Gad Lewis will be blesseing us. Fir more information visit seraphimchorus.com.

I think in taxes monastery they also just do something similar to the convention idea. With HCOC and Albair. I think it's a separate chorus and not really the same. Amousa can speak more about this.
  • what state is summer county?
  • [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=8783.msg110244#msg110244 date=1265736355]
    what state is summer county?

nj
  • but does anyone now what or how to join the institutes in egypt ?
  • Do you mean Somerset County?
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=8783.msg110266#msg110266 date=1265748288]
    Do you mean Somerset County?
    yes yes.....sorry for the confusion.
  • I'm going to start soon for my theology degree... while doing some of the research I found that some were not accredited for theology, in which it would be just a "church" degree... so be careful when you search, except if you are just attending for your own sake... I know the one in Australia is accredited for sure, not sure about the NJ one, and the one in Texas I think it is... in California they have not started yet, the person who will take charge is getting his theology degree in Chicago... then he will go back to California where he will begin the school!

but I also looked in other orthodox schools, and they have very nice programs, just the hymnology is different, but almost the same in everything else... maybe thats something you can look into also!
  • while on the topic, does anyone have any information on the Higher Institute of Coptic Studies if one actually wanted to study Coptic language and hymnology there-- what are the requirements and what is the program like?
  • [quote author=user00 link=topic=8783.msg110306#msg110306 date=1265770698]
    while on the topic, does anyone have any information on the Higher Institute of Coptic Studies if one actually wanted to study Coptic language and hymnology there-- what are the requirements and what is the program like?

Well this is what i heard, not fully sure but other who live in egypt can confirm:
    It's like a school system.
    Each there is a specific rite of hymns (or a couple) that are taught.
    I think there is also a kind of an oral exam that you have to pass.

[quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=8783.msg110298#msg110298 date=1265769307]
    I'm going to start soon for my theology degree... while doing some of the research I found that some were not accredited for theology, in which it would be just a "church" degree... so be careful when you search, except if you are just attending for your own sake... I know the one in Australia is accredited for sure, not sure about the NJ one, and the one in Texas I think it is... in California they have not started yet, the person who will take charge is getting his theology degree in Chicago... then he will go back to California where he will begin the school!

but I also looked in other orthodox schools, and they have very nice programs, just the hymnology is different, but almost the same in everything else... maybe thats something you can look into also!

yes. That is true. They are not like a university degree.
  • I had an Uncle that studied at HICS a while ago (idk if things changed) but here's how he explained it.

He applied, and then they tested him on some basics of hymns and the coptic language, then the years were broken down like this

Year 1 and 2: Annual rites and Hymns
    Year 3: Sha3neney and rites of fast
    Year 4 : 7azayney (depressing year)
    Year 5: Faray7y (festal)
    Year 6: Kiahky

Idk if it changed.. soo... ya
  • wow 6 years! you can get a pharmacy degree in the United States in 6 years... Thanks for the information. for those not in Egypt, there are many resources available to learn hymns on one's own or in a group. I guess that's more practical than moving to Egypt for 6 years.
  • so after the 6 years, you work as what? lol singing in church? can you actually obtain a well payed occupation with a degree in hymnology? or do people do this on the side as something extra with their life lol
  • well yes you are occupied by the church... as singer, professor, etc... but you can always do this along something else... like for me, I'm going to do it... while I'm a psychologist... this way I can be clinical, and a christian psychologist... hence why I'm worried about its accrediting.

so it can be incorporated in many careers..

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!