Spiritual Dancing

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Does this exist?

I'm asking because - I attended a Catholic prayer meeting. OK.. it was a Charismatic catholic prayer meeting and it was in the basement of the Church where they had an alter. They started with a few hail Mary's... and Bible reading, and then when the music started, everyone started jumping up and down.

haha... it was so funny actually cos.. well.. it doesnt matter.. but it was hilarious (from where I was standing).

Anyway, I did tell someone there that I thought it was disrespectful to be dancing in front of the alter.

These are the responses they came out with - that I still haven't found an answer for:

- David danced before the tabernacle of the Lord.

THe other thing they came out with was "God would be happy to see His children dancing around Him" - but I thought that this was such a silly thing to say, I'm not even asking u to help answer it.

But, how can I answer them with such things ? It is true that David DID in fact dance before the Tabernacle..

Their excuse is that the joy in which david was dancing with, is the same as theirs and they want to dance with joy also for the Lord.

Someone was even doing an irish jig.. hahahah

Thanks for anyone here who can explain this.

Comments

• You're not even supposed to touch the altar (except when helping out abouna)...

Remember when Jesus was angry at the people for turning the house of God into a thingy majigger? Sure it made them happy, but it had nothing to do with God/holiness, w/e... Are those people dancing for the fun of it, or actually rejoicing in something?

God would be happy to see His children dancing around Him

That is their assumption, but I don't think this was revealed to us...

You're referring to 2 Samuel 6:14, right?
  • i was wondering.. wot about dancing outside church?
    i do not mean in a disrespectful way but in a beautiful way like ballet or like folk dancing..
    (a bit like Scottish dancing in groups or i think Armenians and Greeks also have there own dancing)

is dancing one of those things which as long as it is done in the right way, at the right time+place is good?

i thought of this passage but im not sure if this is what God meant.. (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 .. esp vs 4)
    'To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under the heaven:
    ... A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
    A time to mourn, and a time to dance...'