St. Joseph the Carpenter

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi everyone,

How did st.Joseph relate to Jesus since st.mary was only engaged to st.Joseph.? Is he considered a guardian to Jesus or a father?

Thanks in advance

GBU all

Comments

• I am not quite sure why it is being suggested here and elsewhere on Tasbeha that St Joseph was not the husband of St Mary. The Scriptures and the Fathers of the Church are quite clear...

And Joseph arose from his sleep, and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took unto him his wife and knew her not till she had brought forth a son, and he called his name Jesus.

Joseph certainly married the Blessed Virgin, but he did not have any marital relations with her. This is why he was known as the father of the Lord Jesus Christ, though he was the foster-father. Even apart from the clear teaching of Scripture it is inconceivable that a Jewish man would live with a woman to whom he was not married. 

A very useful work to read on the subject of the Blessed Virgin Mary and her perpetual virginity and her relations with St Joseph is the early work by St Jerome, which captures the teaching of the Church - On the Perpetual Virginity of Blessed Mary. It was written in about 383AD.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf206.vi.v.html

Father Peter
  • Forgive me Father Peter, you are right please pray for me that the Lord forgive me.

I have edited my incorrect posts to put things straight (I hope), here:
    http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=8652.msg109057#msg109057

I was so naive to being over reactive and to yield to thoughts of I know few things while I know only just such a tiny glimpse of Truth.

GBU
  • Dear John_S2000,

There is no need to ask for forgiveness. I was just a little confused because several people here seemed sure that the tradition was that the Virgin Mary and St Joseph did not marry, so I was then wondering if what I had learned had been misunderstood by me.

I recommend the link I posted to St Jerome as it is not a long work at all, but it does provide some answers to those questions about St Mary which are often asked by Protestants and non-Orthodox.

Certainly it is our understanding that the Virgin Mary and St Joseph had no marital relations, and that St Mary had no other children.

God bless you

Father Peter
  • Dear Father Peter,

Thank you again for your kindness please pray for me.
    Btw good to read you!

The reference is indeed an rich edifying one.
    I've already read a good part and will resume later.

GBU
  • Since he is my patron Saint, I am always looking for various prayers and services to/for/of him, as he is a powerful intercessor and was the guardian of our Lord and His most holy Mother the Theotokos. 

Can anyone help me in this regard?