Forgiveness - How does it Work?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Merry Christmas!

I have a few questions on forgiveness:

I'd like to know how you forgive someone? What does it mean? Does it mean you no longer want them to face justice for anything they've done? or does it mean you still want to press charges?

OK.. here's an example: Imagine I own a store, and someone robbed me. They are caught by the police, and will be sentenced in a court of law. Now, let's say I forgive them -
Does that mean that I should not get the money back that they've stolen (i.e. I should NOT ask for it back)?
Does that mean that I should ask for the money back and THEN i will forgive them?
Does that mean that I can go to the police and tell them to "drop all charges"?
How should one forgive? What does it mean? Does it mean that I tell them: "OK.. I forgive you, and if you steal again from me, its OK.. don't worry about it"?

Secondly, I'd like to know about being forgiven:

Apparently Christ said that He will forgive us if we forgive others:
But let's say that I do something bad to someone and yet whatever I have forgiven was not as bad as what I've done to someone.. its like i've forgiven someone for stealing my bike, but now I hope God forgives me for 1st degree murder (for example). I mean.. how does that work?

Thanks

Comments

• I don't think forgiveness has anything to do with letting them off the hook in court over robbery.If you drop all charges, it doesn't actually mean you are forgiving the robber! There could be other reasons, like for people to admire you.
    Unless letting go would serve a purpose.? If you have an opportunity to get your money back, get it. All that is happening to the robber is he is learning a lesson through law. The law being followed is okay. Unless you are extra kind and think the robber's family needs money and even hire him.
    "Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." Matthew 22:21 (part of verse 21) This was Jesus's reply to the Pharisees asking if it would be lawful to pay taxes to Caesar. There are two differnent laws. 
    What if they didn't catch the robber? You would be mad at first, but after that you could say that maybe the robber had reasons, or maybe he didn't, and you could still forgive him.
    So, we could say that they could catch the robber (justice,no?) plus give your money back while you are still not forgiving the robber from inside, maybe mad at this inconvenience. While at the same time, the robber coulld escape (not justice?) after stealing almost everything and you could forgive him, simple as that. People have both attitudes all the time. They are angry when they don't forgive. That is not love. We want to love everybody, and we cannot do that if we don't forgive. If you forgave you had love, then you commited murder (without love) and then say you repented and had love once more, you could be forgiven by God. My guess would be a person who truly, truly forgave wouldn't have resentment enough to murder.
    Without heresy against the Holy Spirit. We can always be Forgiven. There are so many verses about forgiveness, if anyone wants to add?

Overall, yes, it is hard not to stay angry, but possible! Think about it like your parents. No matter what you do they will forgive you. That doesn't mean they won't want you to do better and learn. Likely they will be mad to begin with. The same thing goes for forgiving other people.

God Bless +
  • I think absolute  forgiveness is very hard to achieve. Jesus christ tells us to overcome evil with good ,and to recieve a second slap instead of slapping back .He advocates patience .He tells us justice is his so in a perfect christian world ,we would leave all justice to him .But as humans we find getting even and settling the score sweeter than honey .That is the one debt we are only too glad to repay .We can't wait till we get the chance to finally say " what goes around comes around ."when we give justice to him it should not be begrudgingly saying "The almighty God will show me how you end up after what you did to me ." That is not forgiveness in my opinion ,
    qt in your case (example ) as a christian the ideal thing to do will be to drop all charges and never look back .Paul tells us that it is a defeat to sue
    1 cornithian 6:7

"The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated?"

As far as the bike and the murder do your part and God will take care of you  .I think this is a very broad and deep subject in christianity.plus it is the very foundation of christianity .can you imagine god with all his power endured what we humans did to him ?why did he not fight back on the cross? .It is all to teach us the ultimate forgivness and patience .May jeus christ the king of kings embed boundless patience nnd forgiveness in our hearts .
    Amen
  • 1 cornithian 6:7

"The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated?"

Why not rather be wronged? Is saint Paul giving that as an option? "Why not rather be wronged"?

Thanks Axum for your response - but what does that mean?

Also, you nor g2there answered the 2nd part of the question: If you forgive MORE than what you need to be forgiven for?
  • I think he is saying that it is better to be assumed wrong than try to prove yourself right stubbornly.Sometimes  our quest to prove that we are right comes with a lot of expenses .That same stubbornness prevents us from making peace with ourselves and others .I am no expert in interpreting versus .This is just what I think .I want to hear what other people have to say on this verse and on forgiveness as a whole .