Did Virgin Mary gave birth with no pain?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
As the title says, Did Virgin Mary gave birth to our Lord with no pain? Because my school teacher told me so and I was wondering why? I responded that God already gave the punishment to Eve that women would bear with pain, and as I know there would no exceptions.

May the Lord bless us all.

Comments

• [quote author=PaNo5 link=topic=8661.msg109040#msg109040 date=1262900749]
    As the title says, Did Virgin Mary gave birth to our Lord with no pain? Because my school teacher told me so and I was wondering why? I responded that God already gave the punishment to Eve that women would bear with pain, and as I know there would no exceptions.

May the Lord bless us all.

Some priest like not to get into this idea of determining what really happened at that point of time of the Birth...BUT it is our orthodox belief that she gave birth with the natural human labor pain. We say in the famous hymn of the Nativity:
    "The virginal birth and spiritual contractions, are marvelous wonders according to the prophetic sayings." http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/1424

Contractions are the labor pain. They are spiritual here considering that the Divine One is being born.
  • Here's Anba Youssef's answer:

St. Mary was fully human. She was born with the corrupted nature of man as a result of Adam's sin. She needed salvation and called her Son Jesus Christ, her Savior. When she gave birth to Christ; He was born of her without the original sin; but as any other human being she had the pains of labor. When we say in the Thursday's Theotokia "For He who was born is God, Born without suffering from the Father; He was also born according to the flesh, without suffering for from the Virgin" this refers to the passions of sin not to the birth pains.
  • [quote author=hottchico link=topic=8661.msg109046#msg109046 date=1262910728]
    Here's Anba Youssef's answer:
    ... When we say in the Thursday's Theotokia "For He who was born is God, Born without suffering from the Father; He was also born according to the flesh, without suffering for from the Virgin" this refers to the passions of sin not to the birth pains.

to elaborate more in his grace comment above, the word that is used in the original coptic text is [coptic]pa;oc[/coptic], pathos. The word is related to "Pathology," the study and diagnosis of disease through examination of organs .... The Church Fathers used this word to refer to the effect of the original sin on our human race. So Jesus was born of Saint Mary without that effect from her.