for the future...

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
everytime i read a story about a saint, i think to myself "wow i wish i could do that". once, i read the life of pope kyrillos the 6th and it inspired me to live a holy life. however, i love the thought of having a wife and children and living with my family and  close to my relatives and i don't wish to leave that. on the other hand, whenever i see a bishop or priest in church praying the litury, i wish to myself that i could one day do that. other than becoming a priest, what are my other options?

Comments

• [quote author=michaely93 link=topic=8582.msg108385#msg108385 date=1260750116]
    everytime i read a story about a saint, i think to myself "wow i wish i could do that". once, i read the life of pope kyrillos the 6th and it inspired me to live a holy life. however, i love the thought of having a wife and children and living with my family and  close to my relatives and i don't wish to leave that. on the other hand, whenever i see a bishop or priest in church praying the litury, i wish to myself that i could one day do that. other than becoming a priest, what are my other options?

what does that, become a priest or a bishop or a clergy member in general, have to do with being a good Christian and a saint?!
  • i believe that it's easier to become closer to God if you're a clergyman. as a clergyman, that is your job, to get closer to God with every breath you take. as a regular citizen of the Church, however, there's a lot more to think about and deal with, such as your job, bills, and other issues. or am i confused??

Please pray the God may answer my prayers.
  • [quote author=michaely93 link=topic=8582.msg108387#msg108387 date=1260751372]
    i believe that it's easier to become closer to God if you're a clergyman. as a clergyman, that is your job, to get closer to God with every breath you take. as a regular citizen of the Church, however, there's a lot more to think about and deal with, such as your job, bills, and other issues. or am i confused??

I used to think like you, but if you think about it a priest has bills, and he faces the same things we do.
    plus, it isnt easier to get closer to god if your a clergy member, do you ever watch movies about saints and monks that devote their lives to christ, the devil ends up fighting them allot more than usual.
  • that's true. but now i think i should go talk to my father of confession about it lol =]

God bless you. Thanks for your help
  • [quote author=michaely93 link=topic=8582.msg108387#msg108387 date=1260751372]
    i believe that it's easier to become closer to God if you're a clergyman. as a clergyman, that is your job, to get closer to God with every breath you take. as a regular citizen of the Church, however, there's a lot more to think about and deal with, such as your job, bills, and other issues. or am i confused??

excuse me when i say that you don't really know much about what priests really do other then what you see publicly. actually that's the exact reason that God chooses his clergy men and not the people.
  • not anyone can become a priest or a monk or a bishop... but anyone can become a saint

"3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. 4 For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, 5 so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. 6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let usprophesy in proportion to our faith; 7 or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; 8 he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness." (Romans 12: 3-8)
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=8582.msg108390#msg108390 date=1260758558]
    [quote author=michaely93 link=topic=8582.msg108387#msg108387 date=1260751372]

excuse me when i say that you don't really know much about what priests really do other then what you see publicly. actually that's the exact reason that God chooses his clergy men and not the people.

it's true! clergymen are closer to God than the congregation! that's why the clergymen give the sermons not the congregation. that's why you would to go a clergyman if you had a question about the Bible, not someone in the congregation
  • it's true! clergymen are closer to God than the congregation! that's why the clergymen give the sermons not the congregation. that's why you would to go a clergyman if you had a question about the Bible, not someone in the congregation

lets go to a story of a saint, since we are weighing "saintly hood" with whether being a clergy or a mere member of the body of Christ.

well back in the days... I think it was Saint Macarius the great.. he was praying, and God told him surly there is better than you in the city, so the saint sought to go take blessings from the great fathers... getting ready to meet up with that great saint probably a bishop, if not probably a priest, or even a monk... he went to the door, and who opened to him?! two sisters who married to brothers... and they brought a great life close to God, that they were greater than the Saint Macarius the GREAT!!!

also another thing about monastic life... a person that seeks monastic life needs to turn his room (in his house, in the world) into a cell... one needs to live the monastic life in the world before actually wearing the black... hence why the pope said we ordain monks... but really there is no ordination, because these people becoming monks were monks in the world, now they just wear black, and cover their head... also why its called a lifestyle!

another note... if God thought or knew that being clergymen would better people's salvation, then He would have made everyone a priest...

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • [coptic]ourwmi`nhouo> ]meu`i je vai abba Antonioc pe[/coptic]
    SuperMan, I think that is Anba Antonios
    [coptic]oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]
  • SuperMan, I think that is Anba Antonios

no it was either anba macarius or anba isadoros... but thank you ophadece for reminding me... we can never forget the same thing happening with anba antonios where he met The anba paul...
  • SuperMAn, ur right. the story was in the movie of St. Moses the Black.
  • [coptic]ourwmi`nhou`o nem oualou`nrem`n<ymi>
    `n;wten eumyi ne  - aisoft ]ouem`h;yi[/coptic]
    You are right - I wronged (got it wrong) I am sorry
    [coptic]oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]