What is your favorite verse?

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
what is your favorite verse?

Comments

• John 15:13 - "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends."

Matthew
  • that is a good 1 mine is Great is the mystery of godliness, God manifested in the flesh"
  • I liek both of ur signatures=L ;D ;D

+mahraeel+
  • For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain
    Philippians 1:21
  • [quote author=Godislove_ link=topic=7169.msg96125#msg96125 date=1224634821]
    For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain
    Philippians 1:21

that's my favorite verse also
  • that is a great verse :D :D

+mahraeel+
  • "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity." - First Timothy Four Twelve
  •     +++

Hello friends,

This is my favourite verse:

John 8 (King James Version)

7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them,
    He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

• nice! thats unique.  May i ask?  WHy is that ur favorite verse?  IS there a reason.  LOl i just wonder because i like it.  its very original.

+mahraeel+
  •     +++

Hello mahraeel,

This is my favourite verse b/c no matter how filthy I am in the eyes of people, the hands of God is always to receive me. Imagine God defending u when all voices in ur mind says u r unworthy. There is Someone who will stand by my side when I say I have no hope anymore.
    God is love and loved us when we r even disgusting even to be thought of.
    This verse shut my mouth from talking the evil of others b/c God never listens. God is not happy by our fall. The amazing thing is He is the first one who is hurt much by our sins but the last to condemn us. We r breathing b/c of His Mercy and Love. 

Psalm 9
        9The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. 
  • I Thessalonian s 4:11,12

to aspire o lead a quiet life, to attend to your own business, and to work with your hands, as we commanded you. In this way you will live a decent life before outsiders and not be in need

NET (New English Translation)

I like this translation of the bible b/c it gives an explanation of why they translated the words the way that they translated them into English and what the greek and hebrew and aramaic words mean (rmember every translation is an interpretation thats the 3rd herminutic)

NESS<><
  • Romans 8:28.. look it up lol
  • check out this 1
    [movestand still and see the salvation of the LOrd
    exodus 14;13][/move][move][/move]
  • "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he shall direct your path" (proverbs 3: 5-6)
  • It's gotta be 1 Corinthians 13:4 "Love is patient, love is kind..."

Imagine a world where everyone treated everyone else with such love, as it is defined in that verse... Must be what heaven is like...
  • i agree INRI
    amazing verse ;)
  • I can't believe Romans only got mentioned once! The whole letter is incredible, I get chills every time I read it and I always notice something I didn't the first time.

"For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom 5:7-8)

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." (Rom 8:28)

"But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more." (Romans 5:20)

"For if by the one man’s offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)"
    (Romans 5:17)

"What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Rom 8:31)

Plus ALL of Chapter 8, its a collection of 39 of the most beautiful and inspiring verses I've ever heard. These are the last four verses of it; this is my favourite passage :D:

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written:

“ For Your sake we are killed all day long;
          We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.”

Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

(Rom 8:35-39)

Pray for me
  • hi ep_chois_nai_nan,
    u answered like a true theologian!
    its cool to see u bursting with so many verses, keep up yr passion for the word of God! and keep posting  :)
    hi everyone else, my 2 favs have already been taken,
    1 tim 4:12 (since i was about 12!) and proverbs 3: 5-6 (since i have been old and working in the big bad world!)
    this is a great thread to encourage us to love the Bible  :)
  • "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."
    Proverbs 3:5-6
  • I cant really choose one but i love these:
    "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" ( phillipians 4:6-7)

and

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" (Hewbrews 11:1)
  • I have waaaaaay too many favourites, but I like a lot of the ones already mentioned.

I also love the book of Philippians, especially chapter 4, it has the most inspiring verses ever!
    "Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!" Philippians 4:4

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

"Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content" Philippians 4:11

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

Some others:
    "And not only that, but we also [b]glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." Romans 5:3-5

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Romans 8:18

"But we have the mind of Christ." 1 Corinthians 2:16

"You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men." 1 Corinthians 7:23

"For He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' So we may boldly say: 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?' " Hebrews 13:5-6

"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." James 1:2-4

"There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear." 1 John 4:8

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defence to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear." 1 Peter 3:15

"Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffereing, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when His glory is revealed." 1 Peter 4:12-13
  • Wow that was long...sorry  ;). (I have all these saved in my email, so it's easy to just copy/paste the whole thing!).

I also have some favourites from the Old Testament:
    "Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6

"Behold I am with you and will keep you wherever you go." Genesis 28:15

"For all things come from You, and of Your own we have given You." 1 Chronicles 29:14

"Remember the Lord in the days of your youth before the difficult days come." Ecclesiastes 12:1

"With Him are wisdom and strength, He has counsel and understanding." Job 12:13

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3

"I call on You, O God, for You will answer me; give ear to me and hear my prayers. Psalm 17:6

"Though an army should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though men should rise against me, in this I will be confident." Psalm 27:3

"But those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing." Psalm 34:10

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted, and saves those who are crushed in the spirit." Psalm 34:18

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him." Psalm 62:1

"Teach me Your way, O Lord; I will walk in Your truth; unite my heart to fear Your name." Psalm 86:11

"The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in mercy." Psalm 103:8

"You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your word." Psalm 119:114

"Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, for in You I do trust; cause me to know the way in which I should walk, for I lift up my soul to You." Psalm 143:8

Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised; and His greatness is unsearchable. (Psalm 145:3)

The Lord is gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and great in mercy. Psalm 145:8

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you whereever you go." Joshua 1:9

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak." Isaiah 40:29

"Before you were formed in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you." Jeremiah 1:5

"And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13
  • my apologies again for the length...got carried away lol
  • Jesus wept
    John 11:35 :)
  • [quote author=MaRy:) link=topic=7169.msg107809#msg107809 date=1258504433]
    Jesus wept
    John 11:35 :)

Awww I love it!...Such a short verse, yet filled with soooo much meaning :)