No Motivation

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hi everyone,

I don't really know how to say this except I've just had no motivation lately. I don't feel like doing anything...I'm not sure if I am just depressed sometimes or if I'm just not looking forward to anything...but I feel really down lately. I don't wanna sleep and I have hard time waking up. And I have a hard time focusing on my school work. Not sure if maybe it's because I'm in my last year of university and am getting lazy because i just wanna finish or what... Also I feel like my happiness depends on people a lot. I feel like I can't talk to anyone I know about this because it's hard talking about it..no one seems to fully understand and I just wanna cry. And I like this site because it's anonymous for the most part and you guys really help each other on here.

I would really appreciate your prayers and advice.

Comments

• Last year of university and you're down? lol, that's ironic.

Let me share with you one of my favorite quotes:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Of course it doesn't compare with the Bible. Here's a biblical quote I refer to when I'm down:

And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat. (Leviticus 26:29)
  • [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=8465.msg107472#msg107472 date=1257017174]
    Last year of university and you're down? lol, that's ironic.

Lol ya I know eh...I don't know why...it's either I just love school and don't want it to end, or just don't know what to expect when it is over..!!

[quote author=sodr2 link=topic=8465.msg107472#msg107472 date=1257017174]
    Let me share with you one of my favorite quotes:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Of course it doesn't compare with the Bible. Here's a biblical quote I refer to when I'm down:

And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat. (Leviticus 26:29)

Thank you sodr2. I like the Mark Twain quote, it's true and it makes sense. It kind of implies letting go of your comfort zone, which I really need to learn to do. If you have any more quotes or Bible verses, tell me :).

Also anyone in a similar situation (graduating or not motivated) please share advice.
  • I have been there.
    I  remember a time in my life when I was down.I would be too bored to pray, too bored to study, too bored to do anything

My problem was that I was getting lazy when time comes to prayer. So God helped me and He got me out of that period

Here is a nice sermon that really helped me come back

It is the second from bottom sermon'
    Returning to your first love Fr Anthony Messeh

http://old.orthodoxsermons.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=57&Itemid=26&limit=50&limitstart=0&order=hits&dir=ASC
  • a good way to fight depression and low motivation is to help other people out with their problems.
    oh, look, you're already doing that by answering people's posts on tasbeha.org!
    bravo, now you need to read part of the Bible every day, and talk to God (set prayers are fine, spontaneous prayers are fine). ask God to sort out whatever needs sorting in your head (we all have these problems) and be patient as He does that while you switch your focus to Him. trust in Him. it may not happen overnight, but it will happen.
    see proverbs 3:5-6
    i'm not going to quote it here, i want u to get your Bible out!  ;)
  • Thank you guys.
    I loved the sermon ebnyasoo3, totally forgot about orthodoxsermons.org for a while...and mabsoota thanks for your comment. That verse I have as my little note beside my picture there...but you just reminded me of it  ;) Thanks. Also my signature there I hardly pay attention to! and i should
    I actually feel a bit better today...just I think my problem is sometimes I just take little events throughout my day (like my parents being grumpy, or a friend not responding to my text or whatever) too hard and that makes me think "I am so bored, what do I have to look forward to?". This is immature thinking, I know, and I think that's because it's based on emotions..but I am trying to learn to put heart aside and focus on mind :)
    But please guys keep the advice coming!
  • doh!
    didn't see that!
    remember also v6 'in all yr ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths'
    ya'ani, you have to think about God at every turn in your life, so when your friend says 'well done you passed the test', you can say (eg) 'i thank God because i found it hard to study and He gave me peace, then i studied well' or, if someone likes yr hair u can say 'thanks, i like the way God made it curly', or if someone asks why u coped well with something or weren't mean to your friend when they forgot to text you, u can say 'i get my hope from God who is kind to me even when i go wrong'.
    '...always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you;' 1 Peter 3:15
    THEN He will direct your paths, He will seem closer to you when you are close to Him. (james 4:8)
  • Thanks mabsoota :), that is a great application of the verse, and I will take your advice and try to live by that. I'm sure that if I do that it would help me a lot. It is possible that God was trying to pull me closer to Him by allowing me to feel that way...

What do you think about this? Ok so this is where my motivation starts to go down...I start thinking, What's the point of life if everything is going to pass away anyway? Why should I study and get these degrees (I'm graduating with two this year) if life is all about reaching the kingdom of heaven? i'm gonna graduate and then I'm always gonna want more more more...and then I'm gonna forget God because I'm too busy thinking about what's next...and I'll say "I'll aim for God later when I have time"...which is obviously going to be never because we have to MAKE time for Him..

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this way, and we all get that sometimes. And it could be a dumb thought from the devel. And yes I know that if we keep God in our lives and have Him use us through our gifts (including degrees, jobs, etc) that will help us and bring us to Him...but life gets soo complicated...After a while it's just like "why am i doing this?"

Sorry blab on and on...I just feel I need to get these things out (to people other than my family, father of confession, or friends) lol